Forum Index > Trip Reports > Iron Peak (Teanaway) - south ridge 5/2/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Arete

Arete
PostSun May 03, 2009 12:11 pm 
After last weekend's fun on Iron Mountain in the Wild Sky, we all decided that we need more Iron in our diet. The dubious weather forecast also suggested that the Teanaway might be a good choice, so we headed over to repeat a favorite hike from last year up Iron Peak's (6510 ft) south ridge.
Approximate route exclusing the mile of road walking along the Teanaway Rd
Approximate route exclusing the mile of road walking along the Teanaway Rd
We arrived to find the Teanaway road blocked by snow and a mid-road camping festival just a bit over a mile below the Beverly Creek junction.
Negotiating the mid-road campsite about 1 mile below the Beverly Creek junction
Negotiating the mid-road campsite about 1 mile below the Beverly Creek junction
We pulled over, chatted with some skiers heading to Earl Pk, loaded up and walked up the road over scattered snowpatches. It will not be long at all before it is driveable to Beverly Creek.
5/6 of the Iron Pk gang patrolling the Teanaway Road
5/6 of the Iron Pk gang patrolling the Teanaway Road
Along the Teanaway Road just before the Beverly Creek junction, the start of the south ridge looming above
Along the Teanaway Road just before the Beverly Creek junction, the start of the south ridge looming above
Immediately after crossing the Beverly Creek bridge (~3100 ft), we headed up the steep slope of the toe of the south ridge. We kept pretty much to the ridge crest, mostly avoiding the temptation of small paths that traversed the slopes to the west. The going is very pleasant with negligible brush scattered below a canopy of large Ponderosa pine and Douglas-fir trees (even a few wildflowers beginning to poke their heads out).
Heading up the steep lower slopes of the ridge (3500 ft)
Heading up the steep lower slopes of the ridge (3500 ft)
Open slopes low on the ridge (3700 ft)
Open slopes low on the ridge (3700 ft)
Ponderosa pine bark
Ponderosa pine bark
After the first 5-600 ft of elevation the ridge becomes more gradual and provides tempting views from a variety of rock outcrops. It was mostly snowfree almost up to the prominent 4700 ft point ("Knarled pine point"), with some significant snowy patches starting at 4400 ft. The clouds seemed to be keeping their distance (waiting for us to get even more committed?).
Rock outcrop low on the ridge
Rock outcrop low on the ridge
Posing on one of many rock knolls at about 3900 ft, Bean Pk behind.
Posing on one of many rock knolls at about 3900 ft, Bean Pk behind.
Still pleasant hiking along the ridge at 4400 ft
Still pleasant hiking along the ridge at 4400 ft
Snow patches beginning at 4500 ft
Snow patches beginning at 4500 ft
Knarled pine point (4700 ft)
Knarled pine point (4700 ft)
As we neared the 5000-ft point the ridge became mostly snow-covered, with sneaky deep holes. The travelling slowed with calf to knee deep snow in places and just enough exposed rocks to convince us to not put our snowshoes on just yet. The snow was a blessing though between 5000 and 5200 ft as it helped us avoid a rather unpleasant section of brush that we remembered being there last year. At 5000 ft you get a nice view of the upper basin and ridge on Iron (though the true summit remains hidden behind).
Snow cover became mostly continuous at about 4900 ft
Snow cover became mostly continuous at about 4900 ft
Negotiating deep snow holes
Negotiating deep snow holes
Negotiating more deep holes
Negotiating more deep holes
First good view of Mary Pk (right), upper Beverly creek and Bill Pk peeking out on the left
First good view of Mary Pk (right), upper Beverly creek and Bill Pk peeking out on the left
First good view of the upper basin and ridge from the 5000 ft point
First good view of the upper basin and ridge from the 5000 ft point
Corniced ridgeline at 5300 ft
Corniced ridgeline at 5300 ft
Look at the schrund I stepped in!
Look at the schrund I stepped in!
Snowy ridgeline at 5400 ft
Heading up the steepening ridgeline at about 5700 ft
As soon as it saw us break out onto the upper slopes, the weather decided that it had had enough and descended upon us with a stiff wind and blowing snow. The scree fields between 5700 and 6200 ft were mostly free of snow and took us up to the upper ridge, which required alot of concentration between the wind, blowing snow, fogged-up glasses, cornice, narrow ridge crest steps and occassional rock outcrops. All of that did manage to take our minds off of how tired we were. Just below the first false summit the true summit comes into view. Both rocky false summits are easily passed on the left side (south and west). A few sections of cornices between the final false summit and the true summit require care, but are easily avoided on the scree to the west.
Looking back along the soth ridge route from 5800 ft with the weather closing in.
Looking back along the soth ridge route from 5800 ft with the weather closing in.
Looking up toward the upper ridge and the first of two false summits (cliffy outcrop). Photo at about 6140 ft.
Looking up toward the upper ridge and the first of two false summits (cliffy outcrop). Photo at about 6140 ft.
Scrambling over one of the rock outcrops (6300 ft) below the false summit
Scrambling over one of the rock outcrops (6300 ft) below the false summit
Looking back SE along the upper ridge at about 6300 ft
Looking back SE along the upper ridge at about 6300 ft
Bracing against the wind and seriously doubting the wisdom of this endeavor.
Bracing against the wind and seriously doubting the wisdom of this endeavor.
Ah! A view of the true summit (on the right) at last!
Ah! A view of the true summit (on the right) at last!
Iron Peak summit - just us and the wind
Iron Peak summit - just us and the wind
We shared the final ridge and summit with a hardy group of 3 skiers that skinned their way up an impressively steep gully from Beverly Creek. The clouds shifted around and provided us with just enough view to convince us to descend via Beverly Creek, so we headed down the north ridge toward the saddle.
Heading down the north ridge toward the saddle below Teanaway Pk
Heading down the north ridge toward the saddle below Teanaway Pk
View down toward the saddle below Teanaway Pk
View down toward the saddle below Teanaway Pk
About 100 ft above the saddle we finally got to the glissade into Beverly Creek that everyone was waiting for. As usual it was delightful, but too short and some of us were convinced (threatened?) into providing human-powered "glissade" assists the remainder of the way into Beverly Creek to the upper creek crossing.
Getting ready for the glissade down
Getting ready for the glissade down
Glissading down into Beverly Creek
Glissading down into Beverly Creek
Trying to prolong the glissade
Trying to prolong the glissade
Human-powered glissade assist
Human-powered glissade assist
The weather finally relented, even showing some blue sky patches as we made our way down the Beverly Creek basin - snowshoes (or skiis) a must!
Descending Beverly creek, Bill Pk behind
Descending Beverly creek, Bill Pk behind
The Bean Creek crossing was no problem (just boot high on slippery rocks), but as the weather warms I expect it will get to be a little wetter. The snow was continuous down to the Bean Creek crossing and then increasingly patchy below to the trailhead and down the spur road to the Teanaway Rd. The rain kindly held off until the last hundred yards before the car.
Back down to the Beverly / Bean Creek trailhead
Back down to the Beverly / Bean Creek trailhead
Arriving back at the Beverly Creek junction of the Teanaway Rd - only one more mile to go!
Arriving back at the Beverly Creek junction of the Teanaway Rd - only one more mile to go!
With all of the minor ups and downs along the ridge it was about 3900 ft of elevation and took us about 10.5 hours car-to-car (incl almost an hour on top). This is a marvelous spring hike - especially in good weather, with good views - of which we had precious few this time around.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun May 03, 2009 12:21 pm 
Great TR and pics. Good to see the Teanaway is really beginning to open up! up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun May 03, 2009 12:36 pm 
That is a loop that we have been wanting to do. Thanks for the report! smile.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun May 03, 2009 2:53 pm 
I have been up Iron peak twice on snow, but always from the main trail from the Teanaway road and with snow only 1/2 of the way. I wondered whether the ridge to the south "went" or not. Awesome report, thanks!

SK

SK
PostSun May 03, 2009 3:00 pm 
About 10 years ago we climbed up that road on our mountain bikes. Kind of a long boring haul, but the singletrack descent was incredible.

Don't capitalize for emphasis, ok? Capitalization!
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun May 03, 2009 3:04 pm 
Thanks for another great report with kids in it. How much runner is he on? Do you both have harnesses? I definitely need a setup like that for Jared on the skinny spots.

Spotly

Spotly
PostSun May 03, 2009 6:03 pm 
Nice looking loop. Any estimate when the road will be clear to the Bean Creek TH based on what you saw?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun May 03, 2009 7:39 pm 
Nice work! Way to git 'er dun despite the flaky weather.

Arete

Arete
PostSun May 03, 2009 10:34 pm 
Hi Spotly, With some decent weather (not expected this week), I'd expect the road to the Beverly Creek junction to open in a week. Beyond that up to the Bean Creek TH the snow patches were larger and deeper - possibly 2-3 weeks from now? confused.gif Magellan, We do usually both have harnesses (though sometimes I only take some webbing for a swami if there's only a short spot for roping). 8-12 feet of line is what we usually find good for most spots. For extended periods of walking / scrambling I've also used a mini-biner hooked onto a chest harness for me to direct the line from my harness up and then around back - keeps my hand free for an ice axe or trekking poles while preventing me from tripping over it in awkward spots. smile.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon May 04, 2009 10:42 am 
Cool! Gotta luv it when the ridge hooks up. Did you see any skiers heading to Bean Basin?