Forum Index > Trip Reports > Midweek Break in the Action on Silver 04-30
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostThu Apr 30, 2009 8:44 pm 
In preparation for a celebration of Mother Nature's May Day, Opus, Gus and the driver decided to do a little warm-up. Well, actually, that's not totally true. You see, we had failed to deliver for Barry and Elle on Mt. Ellinor - promising this fabulous glissade that fizzled in the fog Glissading Ghosts. So, believing the weather forecasters shakehead.gif David and the driver proposed a Thursday hike - because the weather was going to be "spectacular" dizzy.gif as a make-up. We had grandiose plans of a North Cascades excursion - bigger and better than Sourdough! We'd show them. However, our reputation must have preceded us, because (strangely) no one joined onto our little jaunt. And then, work duties called the driver back to the office by mid afternoon, so we had to figure something Quick and Dirty - Silver (above Lake Annette) it would be. Our trip last year had been pretty awesome Silver Peak 2008 so we figured a repeat was in order. We left Seattle at 7:00 a.m. and arrived at the end of the road at 8:00 a.m. (no other cars when we got there)
End of the road
End of the road
Road closed
Road closed
The folks in the other car headed up the road in the other direction while we headed towards the Annette Lake trailhead. Mother Nature needs to get her kids under control! They left their toys all over the place . . .
Messy kids!
Messy kids!
Messy, messy, messy!
Messy, messy, messy!
The whole way we saw more debris than I have ever seen along this route. Must have been a tough winter! We made good time - the snow was rock hard for the most part.
Lovely morning up through the trees
Lovely morning up through the trees
When we broke out of the trees, it was sunny and warm cool.gif and we started up the steep hill to the ridge along Olallie meadows, it seemed that the snow was softening. So, we put on snowshoes, but soon we were back in rock hard snow.
Reaching Olallie Meadows in the sun and blue
Reaching Olallie Meadows in the sun and blue
But we kept the snowshoes on until we reached the "gully" up towards the ridge that runs to Silver.
Our destination
Our destination
Lots of tracks up through the gully leading to Silver
Lots of tracks up through the gully leading to Silver
Steep climb to upper plateau - Gus at top wondering what's taking me so long!
Steep climb to upper plateau - Gus at top wondering what's taking me so long!
When it got really steep, David decided to take his snowshoes off and just boot it.
David coming up to the ridge
David coming up to the ridge
Views toward the East Fork of the I-90
Views toward the East Fork of the I-90
When we got up on top of the ridge, there were some great views - but we noticed that the blue skies were being pushed away with lower, darkening clouds.
Lake Annette from the ridge
Lake Annette from the ridge
Clouds moving in
Clouds moving in
We continued along the ridge, dropping to the west side a little for some side-hilling. The snow was again rock hard and the pitch was steep - we had a little problem in this same area last year - but it looked a little more agreeable this time. Although David and Gus seemed not to be having any trouble, I had slowed considerably - not liking the lack of grip and the fact that I was running out of time to make it back to Seattle by 2:00 p.m. So, reluctantly, we turned around with less than a 1/2 mile to go and about 150' vertical. We stopped back on the ridge for lunch
Lunch time
Lunch time
We agreed that it wasn't that disappointing because we WERE out on a mountain today rather than sitting at a desk! agree.gif winksmile.gif The best was yet to come, however. We may have been jinxed on Ellinor, but we were redeemed and rewarded on Silver with 4 fabulous glissades! Made quick work of our trip back to the car.
David inspecting his feet - Gus finding this most curious
David inspecting his feet - Gus finding this most curious
Gus pursuing David
Gus pursuing David
Lower down, the snow had softened considerably and we were postholing a lot - but didn't stop to put on snowshoes.
Snow had softened considerably!
Snow had softened considerably!
David slogging through the slush
David slogging through the slush
Below the John Wayne we ran into a really nice gal with a dog in tow and "mice in a box" strapped to her pack eek.gif huh.gif Turns out, she makes this trek often and feeds some roosting Spotted Owls. We had a nice chat and wished her well. When we got back into the snow-blocked parking lot we came upon a "gang" of varying-equipped snowshoers/hikers who apparently were with a U of W class and just hitting the trail at the crack of 12:45 p.m. rolleyes.gif
A gaggle of hikers
A gaggle of hikers
Interestingly, one of the "students" was Beth - who accompanied us on the ill-fated Welcome Pass (avalanche) trip! Hmmm, maybe there is a reason she ran from us quickly! hmmm.gif embarassedlaugh.gif Made it back to Seattle in time for the meeting. tongue.gif ~7 miles and 3400' of gain. Fun day. up.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Apr 30, 2009 10:26 pm 
Sure beats being at work, even without a summit! up.gif up.gif
Granite Mountain
Granite Mountain
Water
Water
The sun!
The sun!
Gusto likes snow
Gusto likes snow
Ollalie meadows
Ollalie meadows
Snoqualmie peaks
Snoqualmie peaks
Gus wins the race
Gus wins the race
Turnaround point
Turnaround point
The ridge
The ridge
Glissade!
Glissade!

iron

iron
PostThu Apr 30, 2009 10:37 pm 
wish i could have joined you guys. that's such a nice peak with the wide expanses of fellow snowy mountains. and so close!

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostFri May 01, 2009 10:56 am 
silver
Opus wrote:
Gusto likes snow
Gusto likes snow
It doesn't get any better (including the little twig in the background). One of these days you can publish a coffee table book of dog shots. You arsed down (excuse my french) toward the meadows, right?--not the lake. I was wondering how good the snow was closer to the lake because it's such a great run (we didn't have time for it last week). Driver, what was the big NCNP plan (if it's not a secret)? tdd

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostFri May 01, 2009 11:31 am 
Re: silver
twodogdad wrote:
Opus wrote:
Gusto likes snow
Gusto likes snow
You arsed down (excuse my french) toward the meadows, right?--not the lake. Driver, what was the big NCNP plan (if it's not a secret)? tdd
Yes - we were "bottoms-down" from the Ridge down to the Meadows! It was great. Heading down to the Lake from the Ridge in full-out glissade would not have pleased my insurance company or employer! lol.gif NCNP: Whistler Wish I was somewhere today! waah.gif frown.gif tongue.gif down.gif

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostFri May 01, 2009 11:34 am 
I like Gusto's style, but am wondering if he has been purposely avoiding me. hmmm.gif

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostFri May 01, 2009 11:48 am 
Avoidance
Jasper wrote:
I like Gusto's style, but am wondering if he has been purposely avoiding me. hmmm.gif
It's the excrement thing, dude. stun.gif shakehead.gif You just gotta' clean up your act! A real turn off for the ladies, if you get the "drift!" lol.gif Gus

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostFri May 01, 2009 1:40 pm 
Re: Avoidance
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Jasper wrote:
It's the excrement thing, dude. stun.gif shakehead.gif You just gotta' clean up your act! A real turn off for the ladies, if you get the "drift!" lol.gif Gus
Driver, your observation reeks of incalculable canine ambiguity. d Gussie, are you serious: Whistler? the twa dogs

Cerveza

Cerveza
PostSat May 02, 2009 8:22 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Interestingly, one of the "students" was Beth - who accompanied us on the ill-fated Welcome Pass (avalanche) trip! Hmmm, maybe there is a reason she ran from us quickly! hmmm.gif embarassedlaugh.gif
that was sooo weird running into you guys! we actually were snow shoeing near the alpental parking lot earlier in the day. when we ran into you two we were heading up our second trail of the day. tongue.gif the class is called spring comes to the cascades. we just run around the woods and identify plants and such. we were interested in an old growth forest that lies up trail from where you two came out. probably explains the spotted owl too. sorry i couldn't chat, i had to take notes on what the intructor was telling us. hmmm.gif nice to see people i know on the trail though. agree.gif

Beth a.k.a Cerveza a.k.a. Man Hands