Forum Index > Trip Reports > what is... the siathlon? - 2009-05-02
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostSat May 02, 2009 6:24 pm 
a siathlon is similar to a triathlon, except for instead of beating yourself up using swimming, biking, and running, you use mt. si. actually, my intent today was to test out my first pair of trailrunners that might be used on the pct in 2010. what better way to test them out than over the course of 32 miles and ~12,800ft gain? smile.gif i used a pair of montrail hardrocks. they seemed to perform well enough, though perhaps a bit tight in the toebox for me. i rolled my ankles three different times, but that's not uncommon for me.
before hitting the trail
before hitting the trail
after 32 miles
after 32 miles
the debris that made it through
the debris that made it through
nomadic alpine piscator and i were to meet up along the way, which we did. he and his buddy dave enjoyed the cool hiking weather. i'm not sure how many times they went up today.
NAP, dave, and me crossing paths near little si TH
NAP, dave, and me crossing paths near little si TH
i was going to push for more miles, but heeded the advice of my roommate not to make too big of a jump in distances. after all, i'm injury-prone and one of them was flaring up during the hike. four times up and down felt good enough for this day. my energy was fine and i was surprised to see my pace didn't really drop through the day except on the last time down when i walked more slowly: trip 1 - new si up (1:23), new si down (:50) trip 2 - new si up (1:16), old si down (:58) trip 3 - old si up (1:10), new si down (:54) trip 4 - new si up (1:18), new si down (1:12) total time 9:01 (3.5mph) smile.gif
still need to work on that camera color thing...
still need to work on that camera color thing...
there were many observations that passed through my sometimes random, sometimes silent brain during this day: -the first time up it was tough to get a good rythym -jogging down always invigorated my desire to push up again -jogging during the pct might not be a good idea -i have some work to do yet to achieve injury-freedom -a lot of people on si carry up full length foam pads... to sit on??? -alan, a late 60's guy i met, was amazingly fast on his two trips up this day -my brain went into silent mode during trips 2 & 3 up, allowing for a great rythym -i felt like trip 4 up really allowed me to slow down to the point where it felt i wasn't breathing -the brain started working again when i knew there was no more hiking to be done -lots of kids were out, running all over the place - which is great -a lot of people own dogs that don't like leashes apparently -trail running shoes require different muscles - like plantar fascia and calves -it was interesting to come back to my car and see different vehicles parked next to it each time -hiking is fun as a bonus to a decent day (all of which was done by 2:30p), i got to talk to my best friend from elementary-high school for my entire drive home.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat May 02, 2009 6:30 pm 
i say NUTS, in a good way embarassedlaugh.gif i jogged 12 miles today and i sure felt it. maybe you need high tops to keep your ankle from turning in/out!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
b00

b00
PostSat May 02, 2009 6:48 pm 
why did you only summit 4 times? :>)

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSat May 02, 2009 6:54 pm 
hairy.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
iron

iron
PostSat May 02, 2009 7:23 pm 
b00 wrote:
why did you only summit 4 times? :>)
i had way too many thoughts of hotpantz that i just couldn't focus anymore... actually, all kinds of muscles were engaged that normally weren't and i didn't want to blow any of them up. don't worry hw, you can show me how to do 6 times...

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostSat May 02, 2009 7:27 pm 
You should run the MontBlanc-thlon. I saw them coming home last year, after something like 48 hours non-stop around the mountain. tdd

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat May 02, 2009 7:29 pm 
Quote:
-hiking is fun
At least we agree on something. Not sure what you did is still called hiking! lol.gif

The Bubbly Hiker

The Bubbly Hiker
PostSat May 02, 2009 8:00 pm 
I like to use low-top stretchy gaitors with shoes... that way debris is less likely to get in thar and generate blisters.

iron

iron
PostSat May 02, 2009 8:07 pm 
Bozo wrote:
I like to use low-top stretchy gaitors with shoes... that way debris is less likely to get in thar and generate blisters.
i had those on for the first three trips up and wanted to see what it was like without.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSat May 02, 2009 8:10 pm 
I think you should swim Keechelus lake, then bicycle over the pass and do this Si trip. That would be more of your namesake trip. up.gif up.gif

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostSat May 02, 2009 9:40 pm 
hairy.gif You are NUTS!! hairy.gif ...but I have to say Way to Go! There is no way I could have done that! smile.gif

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat May 02, 2009 9:52 pm 
oh well done! Negative splits on the climbs, too. Love that dirt tan-line on your shin when checking for debris inside the shoe. Which part of the PCT will you be doing, or are you doing the whole thing this summer?

iron

iron
PostSat May 02, 2009 10:14 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
oh well done! Negative splits on the climbs, too. Love that dirt tan-line on your shin when checking for debris inside the shoe. Which part of the PCT will you be doing, or are you doing the whole thing this summer?
yes, it was interesting because the first climb felt the most difficult, even though as the day progressed, it was apparent certain muscle groups/tendons were getting overworked a touch. i plan to do the whole pct in 2010, but clearly need some more work on the mechanical side of my body to make sure i don't get myself injured after a few hundred miles...

The Bubbly Hiker

The Bubbly Hiker
PostSat May 02, 2009 10:31 pm 
The PCT is a heck of a lot easier, with its 10% grade. Should be kinder to the legs.

Roald

Roald
PostSat May 02, 2009 10:37 pm 
Iron - what a day! up.gif up.gif I am tired just thinking about it. I hiked a couple of short portions of the PCT last summer, hooking up with my daughter, who did the whole thing. The biggest thing I learned about injury is to take things easy. You are in plenty good enough shape. For me, the key would be to hold back and not risk injury with too many monster-mileage days.