Forum Index > Trail Talk > Reiter Foothills UP DATE--------- with flyer---
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostThu May 07, 2009 10:52 am 
Figured I share with the group. We had a HUGE turn out this year, thanks. From the DNR. As you are probably aware, last weekend we launched our campaign to emphasize education and enforcement at Reiter Foothills. I’d like to give you and update on what happened last weekend, let you know what’s coming up at Reiter, and send out some well-deserved thanks, Update on Reiter Last weekend (May 2-3), we focused on enforcing general rules and regulations and educating visitors about upcoming changes in Reiter Foothills. For the most part, everyone was well behaved. Officer Ron Whitehall, DNR, reported that he and Officer Gary Marghaim, DNR, made 79 contacts to inform visitors about upcoming changes and let people know they violating, issued one infraction citation, and made two arrests for behavioral issues. (Both subjects were booked in Snohomish County Jail.) On Sunday, Officer Whitehall also helped out Snohomish County law enforcement with 10 target shooters on Sultan Basin Road, which was not on DNR property. This week at Reiter Foothills - We’ll start allowing limited camping in two temporarily designated areas in the gravel pit and the upper staging area. - Sani-cans will be installed in the designated temporary camping areas. - The gate to DNR’s May Creek Mainline Road will be permanently closed to street vehicles - Updating and installing new signs. - Issuing citations instead of warnings for illegal activities. - Distributing more informational flyers. (See attached.) Thank you, volunteers, and partners! Sunday’s Reiter Foothills Clean-up Day was a huge success! More than 300 volunteers from the ORV community came out to help clean up trash and debris from the area. Many thanks to the following for sponsoring this event: Washington Motorsports Dealers Association, Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association, Snohomish County Solid Waste, and Waste Management. We really appreciate all the hard work from our partners and volunteers. Together we can all make Reiter Foothills safe, healthy, and fun! If you have any questions or comments about Reiter, please contact me. Candace Johnson Assistant Region Manager, State Lands Northwest Region DNR (360) 854-2803

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu May 07, 2009 11:15 am 
Jimbo, Do you know if it is mostly snow-free up to Deer Creek flats?

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostThu May 07, 2009 11:40 am 
NO SNOW, we tromped to about 3500 on the South face. Have a call in to find out what gate there going to close confused.gif

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu May 07, 2009 12:16 pm 
Thanks

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu May 07, 2009 12:22 pm 
Quote:
The gate to DNR’s May Creek Mainline Road will be permanently closed to street vehicles
I would like to know exactly what the DNR considers the May Creek Mainline is. Do they mean the "road" after the May Creek ford. The only gate i am aware of is right next to Reiter rd. This would cut off access to vehicle access to the prospect mines, and direct walk in access to the forest away from the majority of ORV activities. If this is the case it would also force walk in access to Isabel from the main parking area. Under the power line, past the big ass puddles..In my experience this is the area where the "hooligans" hang out. frown.gif Once out of the area, i have not had an ORV "encounter" less than courteous. All have been friendly. And this is coming from a hiker who is also an ORVr.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostThu May 07, 2009 12:30 pm 
This needs to be clarified. I have been planning to hike to Lake Isabel (and beyond) later this summer. Thank goodness I have family connections in Gold Bar (where I grew up), as it currently looks like they might need to drop me off along Reiter Road... although I prefer not to do that if not needed.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostThu May 07, 2009 12:38 pm 
Hulksmash, Last weekend they painted the gate of Reiter road RED. I do think this is the one there going to lock up. I've been involved with this gig for about 2 years. There was talk about high water bars to keep most vehicles out maybe coming in from the parking lot so the jeeps and crawlers can get in still. Any ways I have called the DNR and am waiting for there call back.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu May 07, 2009 1:07 pm 
frown.gif Don't see the point of painting the gate unless they plan of closing it. Honestly, if they close the gate, i can still get in there. But i will avoid doing so.. I dont want to be one of those asshats that gets the place closed for others just because i found my way around the gate.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu May 07, 2009 1:11 pm 
It says it will be closed to "street vehicles". Does that mean we can slap on an ORV sticker and go?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu May 07, 2009 1:36 pm 
If the roadside gate is the one they're going to lock, it seems counter productive to me since the FS had identified the Isabel trail as one to potentially turn into an official trail with the formation of the Wild Sky. Why not turn the big area near the May Creek ford into a trailhead and construct a hikers only trail running up the creek that won't interfere with the ORV tracks and mountain bikers? Hell, I'm sure it could even be done by volunteers.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostThu May 07, 2009 1:41 pm 
That's going to suck! It will be the gate that goes left just past the staging area I'm sure. It was locked about 10 years ago, and the 4x4's just drove around it. That roads been a disaster for years, but at least allowed you access to Isabel without having to walk through Road Warriorville. How safe is that going to be having people walk that road with 4x4's and motorcycles ripping 90 mph through the puddles? The only purpose locking the gate will serve is shutting down the camping at the powerlines. down.gif down.gif The NO CAMPING had never been enforced, so why are they even messing with that area. It probably has something to do with this line. "Issuing citations instead of warnings for illegal activities" cha ching, I can hear the money come rolling in now when they ticket 100 people a weekend for illegal camping.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostThu May 07, 2009 2:00 pm 
GeoHiker wrote:
The only purpose locking the gate will serve is shutting down the camping at the powerlines. down.gif down.gif
Yeah, this all sounds bizarre to me. What harm is there in that camping area? It was pretty peaceful when we were last by there, a couple months back. Seems more sensible to keep the camping dispersed. It's just going to put more stress on the lower staging area. Sounds like a conspiracy to me - lock people out of a really popular area, then shut the whole thing down when scoff-laws drive around the gate.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
skidmark421
Play some Slayer!!!!

skidmark421
Play some Slayer!!!!
PostThu May 07, 2009 2:17 pm 
I spend a lot of time in the Reiter area and have mixed feelings on this subject. There will still be access to the powerlines by taking the Sac Up trail, just past the hatchery road, to the mid powerline trail as there always has been, for those equipped. This, however seems to be the only other way in there if they gate the main road in. The only problem for me is the hill climb that most do downhill which will weed out just about anyone. There should be gate keeper obstacles out front to keep out unequipped vehicles like up at Walker Valley. The "hooligans" hang under the powerlines because, guess what, they can drive right in there in their Honda cars.

"Don't worry. Don't worry, I'm not gonna do what everyone thinks I'm gonna do and flip out man. All I wanna know is who's coming with me? Who's coming man? Who's coming with me? Huh? Who's coming with me man?"
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu May 07, 2009 2:34 pm 
I'm still trying to figure out if the May creek ford and the lake isabel trail is still open to wheeln?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostThu May 07, 2009 3:47 pm 
WOW bee's nest here. Ok they told me NO ONE IS ALLOWED IN, just kidding. Really they said this is the beginning of keeping it open. I LIKE IT, I've been up there for over 25 years, now camp in GBNT and if we loose this place for off road stuff we are all screwed. So this is what has been hashed out with the land owner's, fish people and user groups. Our voice has been herd but must be in respect of land. The main gate on the Reiter Road will be closed as early as today. There is a road around it from the parking lot still up.gif They don't want camping for now out under the power line's. This will be a piece by piece add on to the plan. There has been stuff done on the upper part as you turn off the main road and head to Deer Flats. ALL GOOD, this place about got shut down by some Asshat's a few years back mashing through the mid section of Hoggerty creek and sent bad water to the stealhead hatchery. So Washington Quad Association and the jeep club's worked with them to keep them butt heads out of that area, and still is working. Ok I've gone off, sorry but for now the plan is to close off the main entrance and keep a side road open. NO HIGH WAY VEHICLES are wanted in confused.gif Sunday I hauled out many bags of garbage and a couch in my truck from the river camping area. Last year I did 2 loads so I'm Glad to see this and still have a way in to 4X along. So we still can all go in and fallow the Hulksmash to the lake. If you have a Q's about this feel free to call them, we pay there bills and they like to here from us. Thanks for the imput. I didn't really think a group of hikers gave a hoot about Reiter.