Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ingalls Creek to Falls Cr and the scene of the crime 5/9/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Shadow

Shadow
PostSun May 10, 2009 9:11 pm 
Looking to do an easy and hopefully snow free hike Mom, Jack, and myself headed over to the north side of Blewett Pass to check out Ingalls Creek. The trailhead is super easy to find and only about a mile or so off the main highway. There's nothing difficult about this hike, just an easy walk following the creek westward through the valley always within earshot and usually within sight of the creek.
Ingalls Cr
Ingalls Cr
The first 3 miles or so has some limited views but there are a couple glimpses of some of the peaks ahead. Still no snow on the trail.
Ingalls Cr
Ingalls Cr
views along the way
views along the way
At about 4 miles there are the beginnings of some intermittent patches of snow no more than a few inches deep. This about where I met someone on the way out and he mentioned something about a "big deer" just about a mile ahead. Sure enough, just before Falls Cr, there it was right in the middle of the trail. A HUGE set of elk antlers.
not much left except a few scattered bones, a pile of hair, and the skull with antlers
not much left except a few scattered bones, a pile of hair, and the skull with antlers
Mom and Jack arrive at the scene of the crime
Mom and Jack arrive at the scene of the crime
six pointer, about 4 ft from base to tip
six pointer, about 4 ft from base to tip
After checking things out for a bit, we continued on about a 1/2 mile past Falls Cr camp where the snow begins to cover the trail completely. Just past the camp there's a big waterfall coming off the side of McClellan peak, at least for now with all the snowmelt. This made a good place to break for a bite to eat before heading back out.
just past Falls Cr, Navaho Peak is somewhere to the left
just past Falls Cr, Navaho Peak is somewhere to the left
waterfall just past Falls Cr camp
waterfall just past Falls Cr camp
McClellan Peak and waterfall
McClellan Peak and waterfall
name that peak?
name that peak?
On the way back out we checked out the set of antlers a little bit more and found the reason why this magnificent animal had died; a broken arrow mixed in with the remains.
the weapon
the weapon
the victim
the victim
I can't help but think that the bow hunter that hit this animal didn't get a clean shot and they never caught up with it because I really can't imagine any hunter leaving a six point rack behind. shakehead.gif Hopefully the animal didn't suffer too long and possibly made a great pre-hibernation feast for some bear out there.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
stacymarie

stacymarie
PostSun May 10, 2009 9:18 pm 
way to think positive about that poor creature... still, lovely hike and what a beautiful day!

life is short, but sweet for certain my website: www.lostintheecotone.com
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun May 10, 2009 9:53 pm 
Did you name the poor creature? I suggest "Oetzi". hmmm.gif

Spotly

Spotly
PostMon May 11, 2009 6:57 am 
Nice pics and TR. How far up the trail are you allowed to take dogs? Any suggestions for camping spots along there?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon May 11, 2009 8:46 am 
That's a damn shame to see something like that.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Shadow

Shadow
PostMon May 11, 2009 9:29 am 
Spotly wrote:
Nice pics and TR. How far up the trail are you allowed to take dogs? Any suggestions for camping spots along there?
I'm not sure how far dogs are allowed but the Wenatchee ranger station should be able to confirm that. We passed probably a half-dozen established camp sites, fairly nice ones, before getting to Falls Creek.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon May 11, 2009 9:40 am 
Hey i was up there on the 10th. Stopped before falls creek as well. I stopped for a drink, and watched a black cloud, roll down the creek valley, and block the peak-a-boo views of the surrounding peaks, like the curtain closing on a broadway show. This happened in just a few minutes. It began to rain as well. That was my cue to leave. frown.gif I should point out that there is a flower show right now.
While not as big and boisterous as the baslom root show elsewhere in the area. It deserves some attention of it's own.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
whitebark

whitebark
PostMon May 11, 2009 10:07 am 
I think that dogs are allowed the entire length of Ingalls Creek Trail, as they are in most Forest Service wilderness areas. The only place they are not allowed are some special zones ( Ingalls Lake, Enchantments). Nice to see a new spring hike open up!

ScottP

ScottP
PostMon May 11, 2009 10:38 am 
From your description of how far you went, I would say these are the Nightmare Needles on McClellan.

touron

touron
PostMon May 11, 2009 11:48 am 
Nice pictures! up.gif up.gif up.gif I've never been that far up Ingalls Creek. It looks like it gets more and more interesting the farther you go.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon May 11, 2009 12:43 pm 
Good to see that there's some decent hiking without snow and no storm damage. Shame about the elk. That's amazing that rack didn't get grabbed up by someone. It's gone now that's for sure!

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon May 11, 2009 1:01 pm 
That's one of my favorite trails. Nice to see it's hikeable.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon May 11, 2009 2:27 pm 
GeoHiker wrote:
Good to see that there's some decent hiking without snow and no storm damage. Shame about the elk. That's amazing that rack didn't get grabbed up by someone. It's gone now that's for sure!
Yo GH, do you want carry that rack out of there when you aren't prepared for it? Not me. Is this the Ingalls lake trailhead area?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon May 11, 2009 7:27 pm 
Shed hunting has gone nuts the past 10 years. To the point where many areas are being closed to access because of all the people trashing roads and harassing wildlife. WDFW just auctioned off $15,000 plus worth of sheds last week. Considering how much it's worth you can bet there would be plenty of people more than willing to haul out a rack and skull like that. Maybe Shadow hauled it out?

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Shadow

Shadow
PostTue May 12, 2009 8:50 am 
GeoHiker wrote:
Maybe Shadow hauled it out?
It's definitely not sitting in the middle of the trail anymore winksmile.gif