Forum Index > Trail Talk > Another gated road: Mt. Persis trailhead
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostTue May 12, 2009 9:19 am 
Sorry to be alarmist, but I find this alarming - another road gated. I just called the Skykomish Ranger Station, and yes, Road 62 will be gated soon. There goes the Mt. Persis trailhead. The person I talked to didn't have a date, but he said soon. Their issue is safety, with all the shooting going on up there. He didn't have much to say about trailhead access - it's apparently not an issue to them. The USFS owns the road, but they've given Longview Fiber permission to gate it. I asked who else we could talk to, and he said to talk to their head ranger, Barb Bussey. Their number is (360) 677-2414.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ChrisSJI

ChrisSJI
PostTue May 12, 2009 9:45 am 
The gating is gating out of control! rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif Please tell me why it is more important for my tax dollars to pay some asshat's mortgage and not FS road repair.

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostTue May 12, 2009 9:49 am 
Actually, there's no road repair needed. They are gating a road that is kept in good repair.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue May 12, 2009 10:06 am 
It's not an official trail, so there's no recreation inventory back there. Or is it an official trail?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostTue May 12, 2009 10:11 am 
No, it's not an official trail. So they'll be able to gate the road and there will be no recourse. It just bugs me - it's a logging area, so there won't be any public outcry over this. A lot of people love that trail to Persis, though.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 12, 2009 10:11 am 
While I don't agree with the shooting, they are simply using this as an excuse. They want to close these roads and they'll use any excuse.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue May 12, 2009 11:32 am 
Makes for a slog from the highway! I seem to recall an old hiking book saying a 14 mile round trip from the highway. I guess in summer you could mountain bike up....

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 12, 2009 11:45 am 
this is the inevitable end result of continually parsing users and branding roads as 'unnecessary' because some users don't like other users uses. it's an accelerating cycle at this point with the end result of destroying the ability to access the mountains in any other way but on foot, wiping out easy access for a broad swathe of other users. the more roads which are closed, the more usage the remaining ones see. this leads to more use, more visibility of abuse due to more people on more of the same, fewer areas, and calls for more closures and justification of same. the value of dispersal of impact and access seems to be completely lost and now we are in an ever tightening feedback loop of closures. very, very sad.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue May 12, 2009 11:53 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
the more roads which are closed, the more usage the remaining ones see. this leads to more use, more visibility of abuse due to more people on more of the same, fewer areas, and calls for more closures and justification of same. the value of dispersal of impact and access seems to be completely lost and now we are in an ever tightening feedback loop of closures. very, very sad.
Precisely. This is why I was so against the gating of the MFK Snoqualmie road. They've focused impact on one area rather than allowing it to be naturally dispersed up and down the valley. So the Dingford Creek area will be overrun and heavily impacted, while the rest of the valley goes mostly unused. Naturally, since all the cars are located at the Dingford Creek trailhead, and since they've vowed to pave the road to the MFK trailhead and keep it nicely maintained from there on to the Dingford Trailhead, it makes for a perfect target for the methheads, crack addicts, and tweakers to come up and smash and grab while everyone's in the hills for the day (or week). It's kinda sad how counterproductive their good intentions are.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue May 12, 2009 11:59 am 
I don't think a user group gated the road, the Forest Service did.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue May 12, 2009 11:59 am 
Actually, no, the lumber company did. wink.gif
Dogpatch wrote:
The USFS owns the road, but they've given Longview Fiber permission to gate it.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 12, 2009 12:03 pm 
Hmm, I'm begining to wonder about a market for an under hood plasma cutter! Gate-be-gone! hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue May 12, 2009 12:03 pm 
can we ever talk about roads closing without the damn MFK road closure in the thread? I challenge you all to try it. winksmile.gif

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue May 12, 2009 12:17 pm 
Indeed.
Quote:
Hmm, I'm begining to wonder about a market for an under hood plasma cutter! Gate-be-gone!
Alternatively, the ATV and shooter crowds could police themselves better and clamp down on the f### that ruin it for everyone else.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue May 12, 2009 12:35 pm 
Has anyone contact Barb Bussey yet? It would behoove everyone who is against this gate closure to talk to Barb and let her know how you feel. Perhaps if enough voices are heard, a different outcome will present itself. However, it will be difficult to overcome the fact that the Persis TH is not a sanctioned trail...but you never know unless you try.

Opinions expressed here are my own.