Forum Index > Trip Reports > EARL-A-Nor Peak - 3 babes, a dude and his buddies
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun May 17, 2009 8:36 pm 
The story according to Gus - OK, so on Saturday, I get to go for a run through Ravenna Park - some ball throwing and then the Driver takes off for a 65 mile bike ride rolleyes.gif and promises it's MY turn on Sunday! suuure.gif (Editor note: We won't talk about the counter surfing he did while the driver was away - but sugar all over the floor of the kitchen was a dead give-away! shakehead.gif ) Well, one backpack was out with all of the necessary equipment - snowshoes, ice ax, poles - and the best part, lunch! But where was the OTHER backpack - there are usually two backpacks by the door - I'm having my doubts. We set off at the usual time - about 6:45 a.m. - but it's only the driver and me. The roof carrier is on top - and we head to the Starbucks for the usual "fix" - but it's STILL just me and the Driver. No stop at the 65th Park and Ride - so the other guy who always has treats for me isn't with us either. paranoid.gif What's going on? We head out I-90 without ANY passengers! Then, there's a stop - something about Preston Park and Ride - and all of a sudden, Happy Marmot (Kelly), GeoTom, Dani and - well, Jasper huh.gif pile in! Jasper and I co-exist in the back - the "big people" relax in the comfort of the seats up front. Off we head to the Teanaways. I was just there last week - good trip (except for the tick that decided to attach to my neck). Traffic wasn't bad - the road was clear all the way to the trailhead - maybe 6 cars there - no snow on the road today - it's all gone now, but the ditches in the road are still there and can be jaw-jarring, if you hit them too fast! It seems like it's taking this human group forever to get going!
Gearing up . . .
Gearing up . . .
Let's get going - Gus singing to us
Let's get going - Gus singing to us
But, finally we are on our way about 9:45 a.m. - the decision was to head to Earl Peak with the hopes of a decent glissade (seems Jasper and his folks got a pretty good glissade on Mt. Ellinor yesterday - better than our experience about a month ago! shakehead.gif ) Dani and Tom didn't bring snowshoes - thinking they wouldn't be needed, but that would prove to be a little wrong! hink.gif stuck.gif Snow started soon after the trail split at the Bean Creek crossing - we headed along the south side of the creek towards Earl. We decided against Mary and Judy this day - thinking that the views would be better on Earl - it was a glorious (and 10 degrees warmer than last Sunday) day. cool.gif Soon, we reached the first Bean Creek crossing - not too bad at this fairly early hour.
What's taking you so long, dad??
What's taking you so long, dad??
Our first crossing
Our first crossing
Kelly making it across Bean Creek
Kelly making it across Bean Creek
This log would be submerged on our way back
This log would be submerged on our way back
Barefoot boy . . .
Barefoot boy . . .
Dani making it across
Dani making it across
We continued along the summer trail - losing it here and there under snow - but the snow wasn't too soft yet. There would be another minimal creek crossing - and the snow was starting to soften beyond this point - so the Driver and Kelly decided to put on the ol' snowshoes - which was a good idea. Next was a another crossing of Bean Creek to head up the NW flank of Earl. The Driver and Kelly kept their 'shoes on - while Jasper and I and Dani and Geo decide to just hoof it across the creek. Once across, the travel got a little more "serious." Read: deep, soft, sno-cone slushy snow! We all decided to let the driver just go on ahead and break trail. Her language was a bit "salty." Something like #&"$^%&*@)($ - saying that it was bad enough doing 65 miles yesterday - this was worse than the steepest hill she had to climb yesterday! eek.gif I don't know what she was complaining about - I was trying to swim up that darned hill in what felt like wet cement!!! strange.gif But, set steps she did - reminiscing about Welcome Pass, or something like that! But it was a straight up slog to head to the northwest ridge to head to the summit.
Halo
Halo
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll get up this freakin' slope!
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll get up this freakin' slope!
Teanaways are officially open!
Teanaways are officially open!
Is this Pilchuck or Thunder?   Hmmm?
Is this Pilchuck or Thunder? Hmmm?
Finally, about 2/3's of the way up, we angled over towards some rocks to reach the ridge.
Kelly and Tom hitting pay dirt!
Kelly and Tom hitting pay dirt!
Dani coming up the steep, steep slope
Dani coming up the steep, steep slope
We even saw a gorgeous hawk circling us - good thing Luis was safely tucked away amusing Lupita somewhere in Kirkland! agree.gif Once on the dirt, Tom took the lead towards the summit.
Tom, Jasper, Gus, summit and blue sky!
Tom, Jasper, Gus, summit and blue sky!
Bean Peak
Bean Peak
As we approached the summit, there were these busy little bugs that seemed to fascinate everyone.
Busy lady bugs
Busy lady bugs
The driver mentioned that she had run the ridge from Navajo Peak, Navajo Pass to Earl and then back down Stand-Up creek once with Sadie in early October several years ago - but it looked a lot different today with snow.
Ridge
Ridge
The views weren't so bad and probably worth the work. I was more interested in the best part of the trip - - -lunch! hmmm.gif
Ohh!
Ohh!
Ahhh!
Ahhh!
We got the obligatory summit shot (didn't find the register to leave our mark) - but it wasn't a bad group pic.
Kelly, Dani, Tom, Gus and Jasper on the summit of Earl 05-17-09
Kelly, Dani, Tom, Gus and Jasper on the summit of Earl 05-17-09
Jasper was done with pics - where's lunch?
Jasper was done with pics - where's lunch?
Driver, Dani, Tom and the 4-paw crew
Driver, Dani, Tom and the 4-paw crew
Some nice views of my Gus-butt and Jasper begging for lunch from Dani, with Rainier as a back drop!
Jasper and Gus circling Dani for a hand-out
Jasper and Gus circling Dani for a hand-out
We made the summit in about 3 1/2 hours - spent about 1/2 hour - 45 minutes on the summit (a bit windy) before starting back down.
Heading down - white side
Heading down - white side
Heading down off of the summit - brown side
Heading down off of the summit - brown side
We were heading back to our route up when we saw some two-legged guy with a cool looking 4-legged friend - they were coming up from an overnight along the Stand-Up Creek side.
Hiker coming up from the Stand-Up Creek route
Hiker coming up from the Stand-Up Creek route
He didn't have snowshoes and wished he did, because the post-holing was a pain. mad.gif We headed on down towards our route up, but decided to do a glissade down this wonderful, long chute that had been hiker's right on our way up - and it would prove to be a wonderful route back. The two-legged types would be butt down, but Jasper and I would head full-speed down the slope after them - what had taken us about 1 1/2 hours to get up, took us about 10 minutes to get down! What the Driver and I had missed on Ellinor about a month ago, would be redeemed today! What a blast!!!! Nice and long!
Finally, a glissade worth the effort!
Finally, a glissade worth the effort!
We had seen some skiers getting ready to head up somewhere when we left the car early this morning - and, there they were across the first creek crossing heading back - I had to bark at them, until I saw they were eating some lunch. They were now my new friends! They had decided to only go half-way up Earl's slope, for fear of setting off a slide - but the slope was in pretty good condition. Doubt that the chute we went down will be so nice next week if the warm weather continues - rocks will begin poking through! We noticed that the creeks were flowing a lot faster and fuller on our way back. In fact, my buddies Dani and Geo had to help me across the last Bean crossing - it was treacherous! eek.gif
Gus' friends assist him across the rapidly flowing creek
Gus' friends assist him across the rapidly flowing creek
The flowers were kinda' cool - the usual Glacier Lilies, Spring Beauty - and some Jasper-stout flowers.
Jasrillium - that is, stout little flowers!
Jasrillium - that is, stout little flowers!
When we got back to the cars (took us 1 1/2 hours back to the car) we got the good news . . . . The Teanaways are OFFICIALLY OPEN NOW! up.gif hockeygrin.gif There on the Driver's car was Jim K's card - Mr. Teanaway himself! He and his buddy Gary must have overnighted at Iron Peak last night! Thank goodness, we can now talk about hiking in the Teanaways! embarassedlaugh.gif I guess it wasn't so bad having Jasper in the car with me afterall - he didn't growl at me on the way back to the Park & Ride. lol.gif
Buddies - oh yeah!
Buddies - oh yeah!
(P.S. nasty traffic around Cle Elum, but it finally loosened up by Easton and we were back at the P&R by 5:00 p.m) What a fun day and fun friends. agree.gif winksmile.gif Thanks, Jasper for not rolling in any crap. tongue.gif Your friend, Gus.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostSun May 17, 2009 8:45 pm 
Nice write-up Gus. up.gif The back of your mom's car is pretty comfy too. Dad will post some of his photos a little later. He's too busy 'Facebooking' right now. rolleyes.gif

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun May 17, 2009 8:52 pm 
Way to go, Gusto! Nice report! up.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Type E

Type E
PostSun May 17, 2009 8:56 pm 
Glad you had better weather than I did on Tuesday. That chute was a fun glissade!

Yet

Yet
PostSun May 17, 2009 8:57 pm 
Gus, you have some nice friends there. I enjoyed your TR! Write more. agree.gif smile.gif up.gif

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun May 17, 2009 10:27 pm 
Someone forgot to bring the snowshoes today. shakehead.gif I would try and blame Dani, but too many of you know us well enough to realize it was all my fault. They weren't needed for the first couple miles, or the last half mile. In between they would have been useful. It was still a very enjoyable day with good company, one good dog and one questionable dog and good views of the Stuart Range and other Teanaway area peaks. Here are a few* photos from the day (full flickr set):
Babes and dogs at the trailhead
Babes and dogs at the trailhead
Dogs and snow
Dogs and snow
Morning creek crossing
Morning creek crossing
Hikers
Hikers
Snowshoe creek crossing
Snowshoe creek crossing
Tahoma
Tahoma
Heading up
Heading up
Out of the trees
Out of the trees
Gus chillin' while Kelly and Suzanne ascend
Gus chillin' while Kelly and Suzanne ascend
Jasper wonders why his dad is slow
Jasper wonders why his dad is slow
Snag and Tahoma
Snag and Tahoma
Dani ascends
Dani ascends
Excited Jasper
Excited Jasper
Stuart and Sherpa behind Bean
Stuart and Sherpa behind Bean
Upper Bean Creek Basin
Upper Bean Creek Basin
Snags
Snags
The summit
The summit
Almost there!
Almost there!
Gusto and Jasper at the summit of Earl
Stuart and friends
Stuart and friends
Stuart and Sherpa
Stuart and Sherpa
Group shot with Jasper's butt
Group shot with Jasper's butt
Good group shot
Good group shot
Snag and summit
Snag and summit
Glissading
Glissading
Jasper waits
Jasper waits
Ready to pounce
1 label
Ready to pounce
Flanking
Flanking
Kelly glissading, Jasper stalking
Kelly glissading, Jasper stalking
Another game of glissade chicken
Another game of glissade chicken
Jasper and Gusto provide moral support
Jasper and Gusto provide moral support
*Few means between 4 and 100.

Knows literally nothing
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon May 18, 2009 8:27 am 
Earl-a-nator
Yet wrote:
Gus, you have some nice friends there. I enjoyed your TR! Write more. agree.gif smile.gif up.gif
Rufus/Yet - The driver doesn't allow me on the computer much - says something about dog biscuit crumbs in the keyboard dizzy.gif But, good trips deserve a dog's perspective! agree.gif Join us sometime! up.gif
the Zachster wrote:
Way to go, Gusto! Nice report! up.gif
wink.gif
Type E wrote:
Glad you had better weather than I did on Tuesday. That chute was a fun glissade!
An absolutely GORGEOUS day in the Teanaways - even a bit toasty down in the basin - but the breeze up top kept things cool. The chute won't be there long! (And, there were no beagles! winksmile.gif )
Jasper wrote:
Nice write-up Gus. up.gif
Dude, we'll have to do that again sometime - you were o.k. A little snarly now and again, but hey, I was in your parent-space, sorry man! doh.gif Gus

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostMon May 18, 2009 11:31 am 
GeoTom wrote:
Way to share the mountain! Looks like a top notch day to be a dog.

Dani
Kimtah's Mom

Dani
Kimtah's Mom
PostMon May 18, 2009 2:49 pm 
Earl
It was a great day! Thanks to Suzanne for driving and for the yummy treats on the way home! biggrin.gif

Keeping GeoTom in line since 1998