Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sweet Sourdough solo camp, 5.15-16.2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun May 17, 2009 9:10 pm 
Two years ago I did my first solo backpack. Last year was my first solo multi-day trip. This year I felt I was ready to go for my first solo snowcamp. Ever since I saw this trip report by Dicey I've wanted to camp on Sourdough ridge. So with an awesome forecast, a day off, and some encouragement from Dicey I was off! I started up the trail behind the Diablo pool around 9:30 under clear and already warm skies. I took a slow pace up the bare trail, knowing how much of a butt-kicking it would be higher up in the undoubtedly mushy snow. Happily I made it to 3500 ft without even seeing a patch of snow. Just past 4000 ft I entered the park and totally lost the trail in the thin snow. I continued more or less straight up the ridge and eventually began to break free from the trees. Snowshoes went on to deal with sun softened snow.
Pyramid peak
Pyramid peak
Little sign
Little sign
Glaciers
Glaciers
I worked my way up mostly on the ridge top, at times to the right a little to deal with exposed rock and firmer snow. Around 5000 ft the views really started and I took my first of many (very many) photos of the Colonial peak group across the valley. With the bright sun and no breeze my pace was very slow through the soft snow. Thankfully there wasn't as much as forecast, maybe 3" of now very much melted wet fresh snow, and I didn't sink too badly. Still I found myself wishing for some trailbreaking help. At 5500 ft, where the ridge narrows above Jeanita Lake, I hit the most difficult part of the trip. I believe Dicey and the rest went right up the ridge spine on their recent trip but the snow was much more melted now and far too soft to kick steps. Going right was not an option; the ridge was covered with fresh avalanche down into Sourdough creek. The left was still fairly firm and I only saw small sloughs from tree bombs so I dropped down very carefully to a flat area, traversed below the rocks in some large trees, then went straight back up onto the ridge in some more trees on very hard snow. In firmer snow conditions with lower avalanche danger I think going right up the ridge spine would still work and be easier.
Tricky spot
Tricky spot
Sun-bow
Sun-bow
Now the ridge broadened into large rolling snowy meadows, gloriously untouched in all directions! I had frequent photo delays but finally rolled into the big open area where Stetattle and Sourdough ridges meet about 6 hours from my start. I'd hoped to camp higher but was sick of slogging through wet snow with my heavy pack. And the view was phenomenal here! I stomped out a flat area behind some small trees, started some snow melting on my stove, and pitched my tent. Once my camp was made and chores done I threw some clothes in my now light pack and wandered off down Stetattle ridge. It was about 4:45 so I set a turn around time of 6pm to make it back for sunset, my goal just to see how far I could go. Lots of small ups and downs and snow ribs, and the soft snow, made for slow travel. Not to mention all the photo stops. I enjoyed the view from the top of Pt.6308 for awhile and decided to go a little further. Dropping down the NW side here was a little steep but not too difficult. I wandered around a little rise in the ridge and could see it was fairly far to the next high point. There were also several small steep dips to cross and some melting rock; I wouldn't make it before my turn around. So I headed back to camp, following my tracks as I went through otherwise untouched snow.
Colonial group
Colonial group
Lonely camp
Lonely camp
Pt 6308
Pt 6308
Tracks
Tracks
Sourdough lake
Sourdough lake
Snowy meadows
Snowy meadows
Blue sky steps
Blue sky steps
I had a nice soup dinner with a sourdough roll, packed just for this trip, and waited for sunset. I'd brought along my tiny MP3 player, a first for me while backpacking. It was very nice to have music in an otherwise nearly soundless place. The sun dropped lower over the Pickets but clouds were on their way in. It was still a pretty nice sunset but not as spectacular as I'd hoped for. I was likely foiled for star photos as well so I set my alarm for 6am to see the sunrise and crawled into my tent. I was still plenty awake but my feet were soaked and it was nice to get out of my soggy boots and into dry socks. There was only a light breeze and I stayed toasty warm all night long in my Akto tent. I also used my Downmat for the first time - what an awesome sleeping pad! If I hadn't known I'd never think I was camped on snow it was so warm. I still didn't sleep that well, I never do on trips, but felt rested enough in the morning. Sadly the low clouds had thickened and there wasn't much of a sunrise. I turned over for a little more sleep and woke up an hour later. The snow was now frozen fairly solid but so were my boots despite being wrapped up on top of my pack. I had a breakfast in my sleeping bag and finally forced myself into the frozen footwear to head out towards Sourdough around 8am.
Snowshoe
Snowshoe
Sourdough on Sourdough ridge
Sourdough on Sourdough ridge
Setting sun
Setting sun
Evening glow
Evening glow
Incoming clouds
Incoming clouds
Sunset
Sunset
With a light pack and snowshoes I made fast progress on the hardened snow, barely sinking at all. I climbed onto the ridge through a handy little slope and continued on. There were far more small ups and downs along the way than I'd expected! This was made more difficult by the flat overcast light removing my depth perception. Several times I'd step on a slight downhill and nearly fall or trip on a little raised area. Many times I'd approach what looked like a cornice or trip-ending obstacle but I was able to continue on without difficulty all the way to the tower. The lookout itself was nearly buried except for the uppermost roof. Nobody will be going inside for awhile! I took a self portrait on the top, my second time snowshoeing onto the roof of a fire lookout (Evergreen being the other), enjoyed the view awhile, then decided to head back before the snow softened too much. The sun was starting to burn through the clouds now and my nice firm snow was rapidly softening. It only took an hour to reach the lookout from camp but nearly an hour and half to get back. I started some more snow melting and packed my gear for the trip down.
Untouched snow
Untouched snow
Wavy ridge
Wavy ridge
Buried lookout
Buried lookout
On the roof
On the roof
Trail
Trail
Waves of rock
Waves of rock
Crackly clouds
Crackly clouds
Clouds
Clouds
Back at camp
Back at camp
The snow was pretty sloppy but my ascent tracks helped out a lot. Before too long I was back to the tricky section near Jeanita lake. Even more slide activity on the Sourdough creek side but the Jeanita side was still slide free. I followed down in my own tracks, traversed again through the trees, and back onto the ridge. Now it was just a long slippery walk down. Many slips later I was back down to 4000 ft and able to trade the snowshoes for dry trail.
Colonial again
Colonial again
Davis peak
Davis peak
Last view
Last view
Into the trees
Into the trees
Not too much further I was surprised to see a group of four ascending, around 1pm. The rangers had talked them out of the other trip and sent them up here. They were well prepared with plenty of gear and snowshoes but weren't too happy to hear my description of the snow conditions. They continued on, I have no idea how high, but hopefully had some views for their work. I kept a steady slow pace down and reached my car around 2:30. The soda I'd stashed in the water under some rocks tasted awesome on such hot day. All in all an awesome trip! Phenomenal camp site and incredible views. I didn't forget anything and was able to handle the solo trip without too much trouble. I dont think I'll make solo snow camping a regular habit though, at least not this far out, since it's so dang much work! Click here for bazillions of photos and panoramas. Trip stats: 13 miles total 6150 ft gain recorded but I think it's closer to 6500 ft with all the little ups and downs on the ridge tops. Snow free until 4000 ft Only minor blow downs, all easily passed No trail damage observed

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun May 17, 2009 9:14 pm 
Heard from sadie's driver today that you had planned on this trip and have been looking forward to the TR for hours. hockeygrin.gif Nice job. up.gif

Knows literally nothing
Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostSun May 17, 2009 9:16 pm 
You chose fantastic destination for the weekend. Great views up there. Well done.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun May 17, 2009 9:20 pm 
Opus wrote:
Trail
Trail
Fantastic! up.gif up.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostSun May 17, 2009 9:31 pm 
again, you have shown me beautiful images of a beautiful area. Good report and pic opus!! up.gif

JimK

JimK
PostSun May 17, 2009 9:34 pm 
Nice trip Opus. Being solo on snow a long way from others is a little scary and fun too. Glad you had a good time.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostSun May 17, 2009 9:36 pm 
Nice work. That's a cool solo trip.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun May 17, 2009 9:39 pm 
Congratulations on a great solo trip! Absolutely wonderful photos! up.gif up.gif up.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
RichP

RichP
PostSun May 17, 2009 10:01 pm 
Very nice trip report and images.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun May 17, 2009 10:19 pm 
Here's a giant panorama from Pt.6308 on Stetattle ridge. I dont know my peaks up here very well so get labeling everyone!

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun May 17, 2009 10:32 pm 
"Lonely Camp" pic up.gif up.gif up.gif Awesome TR Opus!

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
raz2sea
Daddy RAZ

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ
PostSun May 17, 2009 11:02 pm 
Great job on the climb and the photos!!! Had I know you would be out that way I would have waved in your direction from below Colonial Peak

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun May 17, 2009 11:06 pm 
Opus wrote:
Lonely camp
Lonely camp
Sweet! up.gif

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostMon May 18, 2009 12:54 am 
ditto.gif Excellent! What a fantastic trip, and the photos? Oh my. Sounds and looks like you made the most of this beautiful weekend.

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostMon May 18, 2009 6:57 am 
Opus wrote:
Lonely camp
Lonely camp
Striking photo - I love your choice of tent colour wink.gif This is a trip that has been on my radar - thanks so much for this report.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm