Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Persis, 5.17.2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon May 18, 2009 8:56 pm 
With weather too good to pass up I had to get out for another trip, despite tired legs from Sourdough Mountain. And I had to make at least one more trip to Persis before the impending (?) gate closure. I joined Beth and friends Val and John for this one, all three new to Persis. We were able to drive all the way to the trailhead. We parked in the flat area near the waterfall and walked the final bit of road. There was one snow patch here which stopped an SUV but is surely gone by now. The road was potholed and rocky but not too bad. Up and up we went under sunny skies through the clear cut. The post-hole hell of last year thankfully didn't reappear this time! We hit occasional snow above the rock bands but much of the way up to the ridge is snow free now. Some steep spots in the trees to negotiate but nothing too difficult. We followed along many footprints from the day before and had nice firm snow through the trees. Only when we arrived at the snow covered meadows did we put on snowshoes. Snow was mushy already but better than I'd had on Sourdough. We made short work of this section, pausing often for photos and to savor the views. From the top the view was awesome as I'd remembered! Index front and center along with four volcanos: Rainier, Baker, Glacier peak, and Adams. We took a very long summit stay to savor this. Along the ridge we saw some fairly fresh tracks heading out towards Index. Awhile later we saw some tiny black dots milling about on the summit! I wish we'd met this party to hear how their trip went. Eventually we headed down, pausing at a nicely placed rock for a view straight down the cliff and below the summit cornice. The snow was now very soupy and snowshoes caused plenty of sliding. Once in the trees again we managed the descent without them, the snow staying fairly firm. Post holing was thankfully minimal though Beth took a nasty shot to the knee from one submerged log. The snow hadn't softened up nearly as much as I'd thought making for a slow drop down the steep snow areas. But thankfully back in the clearcut progress was easier if toasty in the warm sun. The car was a welcome sight for all our tired legs! Great day to be out on one awesome mountain with three cool people. I really hope that gate closure doesn't happen, I'm going to miss this peak.
Peeking Rainier
Peeking Rainier
Going up
Going up
Mt. Index
Mt. Index
John and Val
John and Val
Beth
Beth
Cornices
Cornices
Index summit
Index summit
Big view
Big view
Cornices
Cornices
Heading out
Heading out
Snow wave
Snow wave
Lines
Lines
Persis
Persis
As we were leaving Monroe we saw a sign for the farmers market ... of doom! paranoid.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon May 18, 2009 9:27 pm 
Beautiful pics as always Opus. Someone should tell the farmers that they shouldn't use pig blood to mark their signs. lol.gif

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon May 18, 2009 9:34 pm 
Great job, looks like you had the perfect day. Persis is the Mt Si of Hwy 2 minus a gazzillion people. Let's hope the gate stays open.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostMon May 18, 2009 9:51 pm 
Aah, I just sat down to write a trip report from Persis on Saturday! I'll sneak in and add some photos. wink.gif This was our first time up - the views were incredible (no Glacier or Baker for us though)! Now I really want to go back in the summer to check out the tarns, so I hope the gate stays open...
Wide trail
Wide trail
Purdy Persis
Purdy Persis
Following in my footsteps
Following in my footsteps
Mighty mountain men
Mighty mountain men
Bellevue and Seattle from Persis
Bellevue and Seattle from Persis
Summit
Summit
Don't care about the views when I gots mah stick
Hazy volcano
Hazy volcano
Getting a better look
Getting a better look
Spring in the valley
Spring in the valley
My leg needed to cool off
My leg needed to cool off
From Index to Si
From Index to Si
This was Seņor Wellington's first real snow hike, and I am happy to report he did very well. JK and I, on the other hand, were stupid enough to wear all black and were cooked through after ten minutes. Needless to say, we welcomed the wind on the summit. agree.gif

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon May 18, 2009 9:52 pm 
Nice report and nice photos... I really need to get there before the gate closes... but the next few weekends are full.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Martin S

Martin S
PostMon May 18, 2009 11:47 pm 
Opus - I thought you looked familiar; I was the guy you passed heading down just as you were reaching the summit. I apologize for not recognizing you. Those were my tracks you saw heading off towards Index, although I just went to Persindex and back. I have no idea how those other folks got to the summit of Index. There weren't any other tracks on the traverse. Great day to be out in the mountains, eh?

"nothing's for certain" took the elevator down while "anything can happen" climbed the stairs - Ryszard Krynicki
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostTue May 19, 2009 12:39 am 
Opus wrote:
John and Val
John and Val
Ingunn wrote:
That perfectly placed snag got some great photographic coverage last weekend. Glad you all were out enjoying the excellent weather!

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostTue May 19, 2009 1:03 am 
Very nice Opus. As I've mentioned before, this has been one of my favs for years. Maybe I'm crazy, but I disagree with you all on the gate closure. I think it will keep this trail from becoming "Mt Si of Rte 2." Plus, there won't be as much shooting near the trail.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostTue May 19, 2009 1:45 am 
seattlehikertoo wrote:
Maybe I'm crazy, but I disagree with you all on the gate closure. I think it will keep this trail from becoming "Mt Si of Rte 2." Plus, there won't be as much shooting near the trail.
Take a peek at this thread for a whole slew of opinions on this issue.

Cerveza

Cerveza
PostTue May 19, 2009 11:49 am 
this was a great hike! i didn't want to go home. thanks for taking us out there. biggrin.gif it was a nice little conditioner for White Horse next weekend. agree.gif

Beth a.k.a Cerveza a.k.a. Man Hands
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue May 19, 2009 1:12 pm 
Hmmm.. Really gotta get back up there (some 20+ years since a mid summer trip) before the gate closes (or sharpen up my mountain biking fitness I guess smile.gif Maybe this weekend......