Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lone Tree Pass 5/17/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun May 17, 2009 4:11 pm 
I got out by myself today. I had to give the boys the weekend off from hiking so they'll be ready to go next weekend. I left my house at 4:45 this morning to go to Whitehorse Mountain. I've driven by it a few times and wanted to get a closer view. I was thinking about a possible summit attempt but due to the very sloppy conditions and avy danger, that will have to wait. I started hiking a little before 6 a.m. at the bridge that is blocked off. The distance to the Neiderprum TH is about 1.25 miles of easy road walking. At the TH, the trail gets steep in a hurry. After many switchbacks, the trail goes through an open area where the snow starts at around 2400'. A little time in the woods and another open slope is there to keep climbing. There are good views of Whitehorse and the Darrington valley from here. I put my snowshoes on cause it was better than post-holing the entire way. I ran into a couple a climbers that turned around after a tough night on the mountain.
Whitehorse
Whitehorse
first light in the woods
first light in the woods
looking over Darrington
looking over Darrington
I kept on going up the slope and knew I wouldn't be summiting today because I saw some little avalanches going down the glacier on Whitehorse. When I got to another steep slope before Lone Tree Pass, I saw that there had already been many slides that took most of the thick slabs down. So I traverse to the pass and took a little break there.
Whitehorse
Whitehorse
White Chuck Mtn.
White Chuck Mtn.
Mt. Baker
Mt. Baker
The view improved with the elevation and I was able to see Baker and Shuksan in between the clouds. There were many peaks also visible in the North Cascades. Too many to count. I began walking along the ridge and climbing some of the lookout hills to see the mountains better. I wondered around for about an hour before turning around. I heard some loud slides and was glad I didn't try to go any further today.
looking back at Lone Tree Pass
looking back at Lone Tree Pass
Whitehorse glacier
Whitehorse glacier
Whitehorse
Whitehorse
The way back was a lot quicker cause I was able to glissade 100's of feet at a time. I ran into another guy going to the pass and he said there is a lot more snow at this time than there usually is. Back through the woods, I enjoyed spring coming around. The ferns are growing and the skunk cabbage is very fragrant. I got back to the truck at 1 p.m. and went home. 9.5 miles- 5500 elevation gain in 7 hours
ferns
ferns
swamp
swamp

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silence

silence
PostSun May 17, 2009 5:20 pm 
NICE ... great tr and pix .. wh has fast become a fave mountain for us .... in fact it's one of the stars of our movie .. and i've had my eye on a summit for a couple of yrs .. ha it's on my calendar for coming up soon now ...

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostSun May 17, 2009 5:38 pm 
Very nice report and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostSun May 17, 2009 8:45 pm 
Thanks for this report. up.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun May 17, 2009 8:47 pm 
Mmmmmmm, Whitehorse. I think we will try it in 2010. biggrin.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun May 17, 2009 11:14 pm 
raising2hikers wrote:
Whitehorse glacier
Whitehorse glacier
There's a set of tracks going up the lower part of that picture! Human? Bear? Goat?

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon May 18, 2009 2:55 am 
puzzlr wrote:
raising2hikers wrote:
Whitehorse glacier
Whitehorse glacier
There's a set of tracks going up the lower part of that picture! Human? Bear? Goat?
Or a Hummel or a Dockery. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Tom

peltoms

peltoms
PostMon May 18, 2009 5:45 am 
Very straight tracks going around crevasse, smarter than the average bear. Nice shots of upper whitehorse. Must have big plans next weekend if the boys needed to rest up. hmmm.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon May 18, 2009 4:28 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
raising2hikers wrote:
Whitehorse glacier
Whitehorse glacier
Yes, those tracks are human. They're probably from the two climbers that I ran into coming down from Lone Tree. They said they went up on the Whitehorse glacier route and had to bivy up there somewhere. They had to have come down though High Pass to get to Lone Tree. At one of the hills I got to, I saw their tracks in that direction. Looked like a dangerous route for that trip. I don't know how they got through some of those sketchy slopes with all that new snow on it. peltoms wrote -Must have big plans next weekend if the boys needed to rest up. Yes we do. We're planning a 3 day backpack up Thunder Creek if the weather works out. Hopefully we'll get far enough to get to the Skagit Queen area and get a good look at the Boston glacier.

Eric Eames
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue May 19, 2009 8:21 am 
sometimes it's great to go out and hike without the boys! i'm sure they are excited about their upcoming 3 day backpack trip. if you didn't read this...i think this is the same Thunder Creek you mentioned. raz2sea's thunder creek TR thanks~

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostTue May 19, 2009 8:34 am 
Thanks for the TR. What are your thoughts on the ability to establish a campsite at Lone Tree Pass? Is there a suitable place there or nearby? I've been told the answer to that is yes, but I'm curious what you experienced. Do you have any pics of the area that you didn't post? I'm leading a 2-day up there in 2 weeks. Thanks again for the TR!

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue May 19, 2009 9:46 am 
Layback wrote:
Thanks for the TR. What are your thoughts on the ability to establish a campsite at Lone Tree Pass? Is there a suitable place there or nearby? I've been told the answer to that is yes, but I'm curious what you experienced. Do you have any pics of the area that you didn't post? I'm leading a 2-day up there in 2 weeks. Thanks again for the TR!
I believe that you'll be able to find a good spot to camp past Lone Tree. I wandered the ridge to the east and saw a few mostly level spots that look toward Whitehorse that would work out nicely. I think the best spot was a little more than 1/4 mile from the pass. Looking down the south side from the pass was fairly steep and treed- probably no place to camp. I didn't find any pics I took of that area but it won't be too hard to miss by traveling east from the pass. Good luck on your trip there, the snow should be a lot better in a couple weeks. bcfc53 wrote-sometimes it's great to go out and hike without the boys! i'm sure they are excited about their upcoming 3 day backpack trip. if you didn't read this...i think this is the same Thunder Creek you mentioned. Yes, it is nice to hike by myself sometimes because I'm able to go the pace I want. Also, with the sports the boys are in, they need a break once in a while so they don't get burned out. We are very excited about the 3 day backpack trip this weekend. We're planning on about 10 miles each day. Should be fun and out of the snow for a change.

Eric Eames
Don

Don
PostTue May 19, 2009 1:08 pm 
Layback wrote:
Lone Tree Pass is in the trees and not very scenic in comparison to High Pass - IMO.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue May 19, 2009 1:13 pm 
Layback wrote:
Lots of room at Lone Tree & it's quite nice late in the year. We used that as a major helo LZ & high camp in SAR. There's a knob that's a 10 minute scramble up the ridge that has spectacular views.