Forum Index > Trip Reports > Persindex 5360 5/17/2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Martin S

Martin S
PostMon May 18, 2009 11:40 pm 
I wanted to squeeze in a trip to this minor summit between Persis and Index before the gate on FR 62 is closed, which will turn it into a far more arduous journey. My initial plan was to start from the big hairpin curve in the Proctor Creek road west of Persis and Persindex, but every trip report I found seemed to indicate there was horrible brush to be found on that route. Besides, a washout made the road nearly impassable just a few hundred yards past the Mt. Persis TH turnoff. So I figured I could just climb Persis and do a high traverse over to Persindex. The road to Mt. Persis was melted out to within about 100 yards of the TH, and is probably completely open by now. I made quick work of the Mt Persis trail, and then descended 600 ft to traverse south from the summit. It was slow going in the glop, taking about an hour to cover the mile to Persindex. There's a cool little basin just NW of the summit. The summit posed no difficulties and I made it to the top without having to take off the snowshoes. I didn't linger long, wanting to be off of any potential avalanche slopes before the heat of the afternoon. I had already started seeing some surface sloughs releasing.
Persindex from Persis
Persindex from Persis
Narrow valley near Persindex summit (at rear)
Narrow valley near Persindex summit (at rear)
A few quick glissades and another pleasant hour of traversing back across the open basins, and I was back on top of Persis for a leisurely lunch. Time: A bit over an hour up, 2 hours over to Persindex and back, an hour for lunch and descent, for a total of 4.5 hours car to car.
Traverse back to Persis
Traverse back to Persis
Persindex from Persis
Persindex from Persis
Persis is a real gem of a hike because of its easy access; it'll be a shame to lose it.

"nothing's for certain" took the elevator down while "anything can happen" climbed the stairs - Ryszard Krynicki
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue May 19, 2009 12:01 am 
That's fast work for Persindex. Even the glop doesn't seem to slow you down.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue May 19, 2009 7:59 am 
Nice! I was wondering who went out that way. We were following the tracks through my monocular looking to see if it went all the way to the summit. The people on top must have come up from somewhere over by Lake Serene. I thought you looked familiar. Guess it was because you weren't wearing that hat.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue May 19, 2009 11:38 pm 
thanks for sharing. what about the other peak you did too?! smile.gif

Art is an adventure.
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostWed May 20, 2009 8:13 pm 
Is this TR the final one to be written about reaching the sky that arches over Persis? Beautiful shots and just plain, "Wow!"

run4cache

run4cache
PostThu May 21, 2009 9:20 pm 
Martin S wrote:
Persis is a real gem of a hike because of its easy access; it'll be a shame to lose it.
How will we lose it? I think I'm missing something.

Martin S

Martin S
PostThu May 21, 2009 9:32 pm 
The FS is on the verge of gating the road way down by Hwy 2, making it a 5 mile road walk with 2000 ft of elevation gain just to get to the trailhead. There's a whole long thread about it here.

"nothing's for certain" took the elevator down while "anything can happen" climbed the stairs - Ryszard Krynicki
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu May 21, 2009 9:49 pm 
Martin S wrote:
The FS is on the verge of gating the road way down by Hwy 2, making it a 5 mile road walk with 2000 ft of elevation gain just to get to the trailhead. There's a whole long thread about it here.
Yea it will be time to dust off the mountain bike and do more bike cross training... That used to be my strength going uphill on a bike 10 years ago and 35 lbs lighter lol.gif

Martin S

Martin S
PostThu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm 
Stefan wrote:
what about the other peak you did too?! smile.gif
Well, I didn't mention that for fear of being labeled a peakbagger. But I am, and since you asked: After Persindex I climbed this gem of a summit, nestled between Ten-Four Mtn and Persis, via the north ridge (the right skyline).
Gambol Knob, 2740+ ft
Gambol Knob, 2740+ ft
It's only 1000 ft above the FR 62 road, but it took me an hour of brachiating through old-growth devils club to attain the summit. And whose boot prints in the duff should I find along the way, but those of... Stefan!