Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. San Antonio (Baldy) 5-16-09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sam Hobbs

Sam Hobbs
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 3:16 pm 
Stones wrote:
May I suggest Cucamonga Peak via Icehouse Canyon. Pretty hike the whole way. For max elevation gain, try Iron Mountain starting from the East Fork. More of a challenging thrash through chaparral but also remote and you're likely to spot bighorn sheep.
I saw Bighorn Sheep at least once on the Mount Baldy (Bear canyon or whatever) trail, but they were lingering out of site and I would not have seen them if I had not stopped to rest. I also saw some in Icehouse Canyon.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sam Hobbs

Sam Hobbs
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 3:28 pm 
Thank you for the pictures and the reminders. I have been up that trail a few times. I made many efforts prior to getting up all the way. You are obviously in good shape to do it in about 4 hours up the first time. When I was doing it, there was no internet to share experiences with people. The picture of the narrow part; I think it is called the saddle; brings memories of course. Yes, it is a big climb. It is a good workout just getting to Bear Flats, but that part is just a warm-up. It is the other side of Bear Flats that is tough; it is as steep as stairs. I sure hope I am able to do that again some day. Currently my legs are not working correctly and even walking is a problem. I remember the first time I made it to the top of Mount Baldy, it was a holiday weekend and two days after getting to the top of Mount Baldy, I tried to get to the top of Mount Whitney. I made it to the 13,777 point before I decided it was too late in the day to go further without being caught by the darkness. The biggest challenge is to go from Palm Springs to the top of the tram; I never did that but it would be a huge accomplishment. The elevation gain is more than 10,000 feet I believe. The trail is not on any map I found but it starts from behind the museum.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message