Forum Index > Trip Reports > Headlee Pass to Copper Lake, Peak 4880+
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostMon May 25, 2009 5:33 pm 
May 23-25, 2009 The idea for this trip starts back in late 2005 on my trip to Marble Peak. I was intrigued on that trip. Several months later, in 2006, I was again reminded on another trip I the area. As we all know, getting into the Copper Lake area is no trivial matter. I figured the best way in was to hike in from Headlee Pass and down the Vesper Glacier. Success, of course, would only come in spring when there was ample snow to cover the glacier. In May 2007, I set out to visit the area on a day trip. I became exhausted near the base of the glacier. Looking back, I was not prepared for the difficulties of this undertaking, especially, in one day.
Wow, three beautiful days on Memorial Day weekend with the Mtn Loop Hwy opening up just a few days prior. I knew, I could finally undertake what had been on my mind for some time. With a heavy backpack of overnight and climbing gear I set out to walk the two extra miles to the Sunrise Mine Trailhead. The road was still covered with snow. The early morning brought coolness as I hiked up the trail. The big water crossing was tricky with the heavy pack. Once across the creek, I made my way up the open slopes before the trail heads into the basin below Headlee Pass. It was getting quite warm already.
Big Four, Dry Creek as I start my hike
Big Four, Dry Creek as I start my hike
Sperry on the walk up the road
Sperry on the walk up the road
Del Campo on road walk
Del Campo on road walk
I hiked up the basin and pushed my way to Headlee Pass. Feeling how much effort it was taking, I knew, I would not be making it much further. I made my way from the pass to the area before Lake Elan and stopped there. I set up my tarp and sleeping bag and commenced on some much needed rest. I rested for most of the day. Several guys came by on their way to Vesper that I chatted with between naps. Once evening arrived and the snow slopes had cooled off, I decided to head for the top of the glacier and have a look. Pt5800 was close, and I made the jaunt up to the top of that also. That evening was a bit chilly and I had trouble sleeping. It was my first time sleeping on snow.
Look down Headlee
Look down Headlee
Headlee Pass
Headlee Pass
Glacier and Sloan from Headlee
Glacier and Sloan from Headlee
Tracks back to Headlee
Tracks back to Headlee
Hiker and Skier heading up
Hiker and Skier heading up
Skier coming down
1 label
Skier coming down
Bird on snow
Bird on snow
Skier and Morning Star
Skier and Morning Star
Sun and Vesper
Sun and Vesper
Ridge to Vesper
Ridge to Vesper
view down the glacier
view down the glacier
Ridge to Vesper
Ridge to Vesper
Camp
Camp
Evening on Morning Star
Evening on Morning Star
Day 2 I awoke early and followed my tracks from the previous evening. Dropping down the glacier was pretty trivial except for one place where I slipped down the slope a bit. A short distance from the lake, I dropped extra gear and headed up for the saddle between Little Chief and Peak 4880+(my goal). I was moving a bit slower than I wanted perhaps due to the previous day's fatigue. At the saddle and base of the climb I encountered what I expected some steep terrain. The terrain was steep and dirty rock. I worked my way up, very slowly, and protected myself as best I could. At one point I felt very uncomfortable and decided to drive a piton to rappel down. This was fortunate as it allowed me to move over and find a better way. I was glad to finally reach the protection of the trees above. Once in the trees I worked my way up. At a sketchy little traverse I pulled out the rope again. It was then snow to the summit.
Morning in the Monte Cristo Range
Morning in the Monte Cristo Range
My summit and Little Chief,  early morning from top of glacier
3 labels
My summit and Little Chief, early morning from top of glacier
First light hitting Vesper as I make my way down
First light hitting Vesper as I make my way down
looking down
looking down
Peak 4880+ and Little Chief
Peak 4880+ and Little Chief
Lake on the way down
Lake on the way down
Looking back from near the lake
Looking back from near the lake
Vesper Glacier from saddle
looking down from the saddle
looking down from the saddle
the other side of the saddle
the other side of the saddle
Little Chief Peak from summit
Little Chief Peak from summit
Copper Lake from summit
Copper Lake from summit
Big Four from summit
Big Four from summit
Hall from summit
Hall from summit
Marble Peak from summit
Marble Peak from summit
summit ridge
summit ridge
Vesper from summit
Vesper from summit
me on the summit
me on the summit
After down climbing the snow and making a few rappels I was back at the saddle. The climb had taken me much longer than I had anticipated, and I became concerned about re-ascending the glacier in the afternoon heat. On the descent back to my gear my concerns were not unfounded as a small slide sweep partway across the glacier. I would have to spend an extra night out. Since a had several hours to spare before I would begin my ascent back up, I set out to find a nice rock. I found the nicest of rocks just before reaching the lake. I proceed to rest and read a few Bible verses, it was Sunday afterall. The first few hours were nice and warm. The later few hours grew cool since the sun sits too low in the sky to shine over the nearby ridges.
Tracks and Vesper
Tracks and Vesper
looking back toward the summit
looking back toward the summit
Vesper on descent
Vesper on descent
Vesper Glacier on the way down
Vesper Glacier on the way down
the steep section at the base
the steep section at the base
Looking up
Looking up
Fresh avy, top center
Fresh avy, top center
nice rock for resting on
nice rock for resting on
Copper and Marble from rock
Copper and Marble from rock
Vesper from rock
Vesper from rock
When it was time to leave I headed over to the lake to check out the little bit of unfrozen water. There was certainly more snow that my trip in 2007. I then began the long 2600 gain up the valley. Enroute, I checked out the slide that I had seen earlier. It had come within three feet of my morning tracks. With the long climb out completed I dropped to my gear and set up camp in the dark. I rested a little better this time. The next morning I made the descent and road walk to the car. The creek was still a little tricky. An amazing trip I will not soon forget.
Inflow stream
Inflow stream
Big Four and Copper
Big Four and Copper
Shores of Copper Lake
Shores of Copper Lake
Looking back at Copper
Looking back at Copper
Earlier avalanche
Earlier avalanche
Steep cliffs surround
Steep cliffs surround
Looking back in the late evening
Looking back in the late evening
Getting late as I look up to the top of the glacier
Getting late as I look up to the top of the glacier
The next morning, Morning Star from my camp
The next morning, Morning Star from my camp
camp
camp
Morning glow on Vesper
Morning glow on Vesper
Red Mtn from near camp
Red Mtn from near camp
From Headlee Pass
From Headlee Pass
Red Mtn from Headlee Pass
Red Mtn from Headlee Pass
Glacier and Sloan on the way down
Glacier and Sloan on the way down
Sun and peaks from near Headlee Pass
Sun and peaks from near Headlee Pass

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon May 25, 2009 6:15 pm 
What an absolutely amazing effort borank.gif ...and congratulations! I've looked down there from Vesper thinking that it was one of those places that nobody goes. Well, almost nobody! Just awesome. And your photos are beautiful as well. up.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostMon May 25, 2009 6:57 pm 
AWESOME photos, Justus! Especially looking towards Big Four from Pt 5800'. I'm glad your knee is doing better, and I look forward to getting out on some trips with you soon. up.gif Love the bike helmet. clown.gif

iron

iron
PostMon May 25, 2009 7:05 pm 
is that a beard i see or just some weird shadows dizzy.gif

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostMon May 25, 2009 7:17 pm 
240, There are good methods for solo climbing serious stuff. This was a class3-4 mix, I just kinda improvised for the short sketchy sections by running a loop or directly clipping. lol.gif Tom, I knew you'd get me on the helmet. Iron, I could just say it grows fast in the mtns, but the truth is I haven't shaved for a week.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon May 25, 2009 7:31 pm 
borank.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue May 26, 2009 1:00 am 
Gutsy plan, fantastic trip report and rare views. I especially liked these
Justus S. wrote:
Big Four from summit
Big Four from summit
I've always wondered what the the S side of that gap on the Big 4 ridge looked like. I've contemplated approaching Big 4 from Sperry, partly to enjoy walking across that expanse of white granite. But it looks pretty tough.
Quote:
Similar view in August - acres of granite
Big Four from Vesper Peak
Big Four from Vesper Peak

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostTue May 26, 2009 12:54 pm 
Cool. Way to find a little solitude and an interesting new challenge in a well traveled area.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue May 26, 2009 3:50 pm 
winksmile.gif Strong work Justus !

Living in the Anthropocene
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue May 26, 2009 7:42 pm 
Justus, not so very long ago, there was considerable discussion about possible expeditions up Williamson Creek or over Marble Pass to explore the Copper Outfall and Copper Lake. Someone named Justus suggested that it would be easier to get there via Headlee Pass and the Vesper Glacier, and proved it with this remarkable photo.
30min from the lake and 5hrs from the Mtn Loop Hwy
1 label
30min from the lake and 5hrs from the Mtn Loop Hwy
Your latest venture would seem to put a damper on the idea of ordinary hikers undertaking such a trip, and it makes the "5 hours from the Mountain Loop Highway" a little hard to understand. What did I miss? It doesn't really matter, Justus. The first trip was awesome; this one is amazing.
And the photography continues to be breathtaking.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostTue May 26, 2009 11:09 pm 
Scrooge, I think you missed the fact that carrying the extra weight of climbing gear takes its toll. I don't ever think I said a trip to the lake would be easy. It is going to take some effort to get to the lake. smile.gif You guys are not ordinary in my book.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed May 27, 2009 12:20 am 
Quote:
Scrooge, I think you missed the fact that carrying the extra weight of climbing gear takes its toll. I don't ever think I said a trip to the lake would be easy. It is going to take some effort to get to the lake. You guys are not ordinary in my book
huh.gif Now what am i missing.....carrying the extra weight of climbing gear and you get that close to the lake "5 hours from the mt loop"....It takes me like 5 hours to get to the top of Hadley with a water bottle and a camera. rolleyes.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed May 27, 2009 7:48 am 
Great one, Justus! up.gif I've looked at that peak many times & I think Klenke is right - that was a first ascent. I tried to climb Big 4 from that side several times & couldn't find a route that would go. We went partway up that peak once to take some photos for recon.

Tazz

Tazz
PostWed May 27, 2009 7:52 am 
Good work justus! up.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun May 01, 2011 2:46 pm 
As Scrooge noted, this was an impressive trip. Good call on staying the second night. Thanks for highlighting it again, Scrooge! And big ups as always, Justus... up.gif up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short