Forum Index > Trip Reports > Driving a Wedge near Leavenworth (6 June 09)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
braincloud
Summit Seeker

braincloud
Summit Seeker
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 4:10 pm 
Wedge Mountain has the reputation of a rather steep scramble and Enchanting views – definitely my kind of peak. I’d wanted to walk Wedge for a while, so Saturday morning I awoke and went to Weavenworth…er Leavenworth. Barrelling up FR7305 was an adventure in itself. Luckily, my driving skills are on par with the best of the Baja 1000 racers and I easily dodged slides, ruts, and jumped diversion mounds with glee. I’m not sure how many times I smacked my head while avoiding the road obstacles. I’m not sure how many times I smacked my head while avoiding the road obstacles. Upon reaching the trailhead, I was surprised to find a few cars already there. I had figured the road itself would have scared everyone away. I got out to stretch my legs and noticed the “trail” was actually still a road and more than drivable. So I grabbed my Jeep and took off up the trail. Making no excuses from the get go, the trail blasted up the ridgeline toward the summit. I put the pedal down and soon found myself winded from picking my way up the path. The Jeep was riding well and I broke out of the trees onto the open hillside.
A glimpse of Wedge Mountain’s summit
A glimpse of Wedge Mountain’s summit
I had to put it into 4-Lo and slowly crawl up the hill – the Jeep seemed to be in dire need of a tune-up and wasn’t handling the steep grade as well as it should have.
No really, it’s kinda steep.
No really, it’s kinda steep.
I paused to look in the rearview for any traffic that may have been tailgating me, but saw only a nice view into the valley.
A bit further up, I drove through a group of Wild Mountaineers grazing in a clearing and seeking a short reprieve from the early afternoon sun. Tooting my horn, I smiled as I rolled through the herd and continued on my way.
Getting closer!
Getting closer!
The ridge opened up once again and afforded views of a green mountain meadow.
The hills are alive
The hills are alive
I was getting hungry now and needed refreshment so I checked the cooler in the back to see what I had packed. I was dismayed to find I only had one beer (meant for the top) and no sandwiches. Luckily, lunch started singing nearby. I figured after years of eating crow, a songbird surely will taste sweeter.
Small, but it’ll do in a finch
Small, but it’ll do in a finch
Grabbing my bow, I started hurling flaming arrows at my prey in order to secure lunch and cook it at the same time. Suffice it to say, my plan worked too well and I succeeded in charring the bird and the surrounding mountain side.
Oops!
Oops!
After helping the smoke jumpers douse the flames, I once again put the pedal to the metal and tore off up the hill. The patches of snow caused no issues as I’d either navigate around them or give the Jeep a good flogging and barrel through. I finally reached the ridgeline and was rewarded with glorious views into the Enchantments. My eyes were Enchantment virgins and spent many minutes rolling in pleasure until they were about to burst. I snapped a couple of pictures before heading further up the mountain.
I made it up to just shy of the true summit before parking the Jeep, munching on my newly acquired lunchbird (note to self: next time, pluck before eating) and cracking open my PBR.
Vroom with a view!
Vroom with a view!
Soon, my precious, soon
Soon, my precious, soon
I tarried at the top for a while before packing up and heading back down to my big Jeep. The sun came out in full force and the flowers grinned back at their yellow friend.
So happy together
So happy together
On my way down, I spotted dinner.
Wild Mountain Bacon
1 label
Wild Mountain Bacon
Total time: A little over an hour up 20 minutes down. About 4 miles round trip and over 1800 feet in elevation gain. Short and sweet. Favorite parking job:

MyCrookedPath.com The light at the end of my tunnel is a police car.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 6:08 pm 
Too funny... and nice photos!!!

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 7:12 pm 
Nice to see you out again. up.gif Still think you could do better with the choice of beer though. hockeygrin.gif

Knows literally nothing
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 7:36 pm 
braincloud wrote:
I’m not sure how many times I smacked my head while avoiding the road obstacles. I’m not sure how many times I smacked my head while avoiding the road obstacles.
lol.gif Yet another classic braincloud report! You and Angry Hiker should team up to write a guidebook.

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com