Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chewuch Rv (30 Mile Fire Memorial) May 25
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri May 29, 2009 9:53 pm 
Thanks for the report. The memorial is a sobering reminder. I didn't really notice the color of the water when I was there. I just know it felt wonderfully cool after a hot day hiking. The charred trailhead sign caught my attention also. A few years ago, you could still make out part of the lettering.
THIRTY MILE
1 label
THIRTY MILE

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostWed Jun 03, 2009 9:58 pm 
Quark and Jim inspired me to head back up to 30 Mile today. The lower section with pools and slow water with tannins staining has always interested me and the sun really highlighted this section.
Lower Chewuch Tannins.JPG
Lower Chewuch Tannins.JPG
I had different light today and the colors changed but the falls are still beautiful.
Chewuch Falls.JPG
Chewuch Falls.JPG
Upper Falls.JPG
Upper Falls.JPG
Peg and I had it all to ourselves today.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jun 03, 2009 10:35 pm 
Matt- maybe "Horse Camp?" I tried to find all my photos from my pre-fire trip, but only found a few (I probably threw some away because I have a square butt). It's not likely I would have photographed a "Horse Camp" sign anyway, or any trailhead sign that wasn't very interesting. Beyond Lost - thanks for the additional photos. Your pics show the color of the water very nicely. up.gif I spoke to Mr. Van der Wood at the ranger station this week - I am interested in the recovery of the forest there. He said that other than the UW monitoring the recovery of the Natural Area on the other side of the river (opposite where the fire started, and the reason they needed special permission to use choppers to fight the fire), there's no great "wow" factor in this forests' recovery. He said the Tripod fire next door is the recovery they're monitoring, due to the variety of trees and animal life there. He said Freezeout Ridge is the best trail that a typical hiker can walk to see that area. It's probably too hot for me to visit there - so I'll go this fall. up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting