Forum Index > Trip Reports > Granite Mt. 5.30
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nwbobcat

nwbobcat
PostMon Jun 01, 2009 9:06 am 
Granite Mt 5.30 Route: took the South West Ridge up 3 hours up, 1.15 hours down Could not ask for better weather to put in a grueling hike/scramble to the top of Granite Mt for endless views. We hiked the trail to the junction and went another 100 yards or so and went up through the trees following the stream until we hit the SW ridge in the picture below. The main trail is in really good shape. We came down the summer trail and pretty much snow free under 4000 feet or so.
We went straight up the face/Ridge to the top of the lookout. Mostly all snow free until you hit the last 600 feet of elevation gain when you hit pretty much all snow. When we reached the top there were around 8 people on top and the Lookout windows were open but it was locked. Amazing views as always, as you could see Rainer, Glacier peak, Baker and the top of Adams. Very warm ontop, with little to no bugs. Around noon we started headed down the main summer route (pictured below)
If you are going to take that route I would suggest poles or an ice ax. Was pretty much loose snow and very narrow ridge due to cornices on the North facing slope. We counted 49 people on their way up as we were coming down, some I do not think knew what they were getting into as they were wearing jeans and boat shoes and just a small water bottle in hand. Still cannot believe people head up into these conditions with minimal or no gear or enough water. If you are headed up the summer route once you start to head up from the switchbacks to the lower shelf if where you hit constant snow, pole would be nice, but make sure you have adequate water, boots, and sun glasses and sunscreen. Couple other pics from the outing.. - Nwbobcat
That little strip down below is I90

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostMon Jun 01, 2009 10:39 am 
Thanks for the snow info. I think I'll wait until it melts out a bit more.

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostMon Jun 01, 2009 12:36 pm 
nwbobcat wrote:
We went straight up the face/Ridge to the top of the lookout.
Wow, I've been up Granite a few times, but I've never managed to get on top of the lookout wink.gif