Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Jun 02, 2009 12:24 pm 
Nice response and good response time. up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostThu Jun 04, 2009 7:43 pm 
Titanium Dioxide
You mentioned sunscreen and I HAD to reply.Last weekend while up at Defiance I defied all common sence and went w/o sunblock because I "was" going to get a "friendly" sunsceen from the co-op. I knew I was well done on the ridge...later in the trees on the way down I was pondering sun poisoning or sun screen w/ poison in it...Ironic,kind of,and pretty stupid on my part actually. Seven days of uncomfort and I'm pealing... Thanks for remining me,I gotta get some SPF 30+ before this weekend....Damn death rays!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jun 04, 2009 7:59 pm 
Lol...yeah, lets just say back in the day I NEVER burned. I could hike all day and be looking great. Then it changed recently in the past couple years. My bit of Phillipa blood failed me - and in the Teanaways I got a burn so bad I had fried chicken skin - yes, it was THAT bad. I now have skin damage on my shoulders with freckles I didn't have before. It took TWO years for the lines of my tank top to fade away. I now wear sun block. Not always faithfully, but at high elevation I do. And always on snow. I wear SPF 50 to 70. I find the spray on stuff is so easy I do it without thinking. I hate gloppy stuff I have to rub in. That and seeing my husband have his first cancer removal off his face was very scary. He has a scar on his cheek from that. (He is pale skinned, red head)

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostThu Jun 04, 2009 8:19 pm 
older and wiser?
On the PCT in '02 I picked up some fun poison oak in the Mojave desert.It was kinda hot because I started in June...95'ish in SoCal.Then for my grand finale some Sierra high altitude sunburn to complete my "crazy Dewey trail persona". Sometimes we never learn... Red,me,I'll be fine,just alittle sun....Yeeeah right. Ironically I was named Dewey because could knock back a few liters of Dew a day...Five months ago my blood sugar was 850.Now it's 80.See you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!"Look ma,no more Dew".... smile.gif Now for that sunblock...SPF 30 or 50...hmmmm

Land Cruiser

Land Cruiser
PostFri Jun 05, 2009 6:01 pm 
I know its not really a sub.. but the vanilla carnation instant breakfast has cured my craving for milk on a few occasions..have even used it with cereal and in my coffee

Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostSat Jun 06, 2009 3:17 pm 
"...the walk down the ailse will be lonlier"??? lol That's a bit extreme. I will miss the product though, I used to love mixing some up with cold mountain water, mmm....

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you couldn't learn otherwise" -Mark Twain
MisterB

MisterB
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 12:06 pm 
Nestle
Nice!! I was bummed that Milkman was gone after drinking it for about 40 years of backpacking. I just got some of the Nestle Nido and will post back the results (including 8 teenagers' comments after 9 days and 73 miles of the stuff!). Thanks for the whole milk alternative to a lost long time staple.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 12:46 pm 
MisterB: Definitely looking forward to hearing your results. I'm looking for a good replacement for Milkman as well. Thanks!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Scouter
Sandwich bagger

Scouter
Sandwich bagger
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 10:18 pm 
Quote:
Isn't it curious that all the other mammals on the planet undergo weaning from milk, but Man holds tight to the teat? smile.gif
No other mammals on the planet have chocolate chip cookies or brownies... biggrin.gif

Each human spirit is immortal-for time cannot destroy whatever element within us reverences the glory of a dawn in the mountains. -- Dervla Murphy
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostSun Aug 02, 2009 2:25 am 
Milkman at QFC
I saw Milkman in the big box at QFC on Broadway,in Seattle. I was going to get it,but it was the $8 big box....

seabell

seabell
PostSun Aug 02, 2009 9:23 am 
Looking for milkman at qfc
Please tell me which QFC on Broadway you saw the Milkman, and where in the store. I have called all three for a stock check and all claim to have no product. It was definitely Milkman in the orange box? I want some Milkman for a trip next week and cannot find it. I would seriously appreciate your info. Thanks

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Aug 02, 2009 10:19 am 
Moved this to the food forum, cause, well, powdered milk is a food.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Aug 02, 2009 10:57 am 
Re: Milkman at QFC
like2thruhike wrote:
I saw Milkman in the big box at QFC on Broadway,in Seattle. I was going to get it,but it was the $8 big box....
If they do have it, check the expiration date!!!! It will be at last a year old if not older.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
MisterB

MisterB
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 2:25 pm 
Nido was a hit!
Hi all - Well after 9 days and 73 miles crossing the Sierras on the High Sierra Trail the verdict on Nestles Nido dry whole milk is in. It was a hit! I hate to say it because I was such a Milkman devote but this stuff is BETTER THAN MILKMAN!! If you mix the entire quart's worth of mix in the first 1/4th of a water bottle by adding it a few tablespoons at a time, shaking it really hard after each addition, and then filling it up to just shy of a quart even picky teenaged Boy Scouts will love it. If you have trouble finding it, look in a local Hispanic market. Apparently the product is widely used south 'o the border. I have bought some to have at the office (it is that good!) so I can have a cold glass of milk anytime without worrying about a gallon of fresh milk going sour in the fridge. This former Milkman fan has found a new love!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 2:28 pm 
Is there someplace local to get Nido? I havent started looking yet but I thought Id ask.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln