Forum Index > Trip Reports > Squires Crk Pass via 8 Mile Crk (Darrington) 6/2/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostWed Jun 03, 2009 7:22 am 
FR 2060, the Clear Creek Rd is passable although there are a few spots where a sedan will have to go with care. There's an avalanche deposit that narrows the road and 2 dips with big gravel. I had to chop out 3 windfalls over the road with a Pulaski. An SUV was there when I arrived at the TH.
Wilderness boundary sign on 8 Mile Creek Trail
Wilderness boundary sign on 8 Mile Creek Trail
The trail starts on an old skid road in second growth then enters old growth at the Wilderness boundary.
Helena Peak area from 8 Mile Creek Trail, Boulder River Wilderness, Mt Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, Washington.
Helena Peak area from 8 Mile Creek Trail, Boulder River Wilderness, Mt Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, Washington.
Good view from an open area with rock slab above and some snow. The trail is steep, rooty, rocky, muddy and wet!
wet, rocky, rooty, steep 8 Mile Creek Trail to Squire Creek Pass
wet, rocky, rooty, steep 8 Mile Creek Trail to Squire Creek Pass
waterfalls over slab on 8 Mile Creek Trail
western trillium on 8 Mile Creek Trail
western trillium on 8 Mile Creek Trail
Barely any snow before the trail crosses the pool below the upper slab waterfall. Patchy snow for about 1/2 mile after the trail crosses the pool.
Marsh marigold on 8 Mile Creek Trail
Marsh marigold on 8 Mile Creek Trail
Continuous snow after where the trail crosses a steep, snow-filled ravine. The snow was surprisingly walkable. I wore trail runners, shorts and a T-shirt with a stick picked up along the way for support. It was quite warm and sunny but the snow was not that wet and slushy. There's some good backcountry ski terrain here but the snow is bumpy and a little dirty with pollen and dust.
looking northeast from west of Squire Creek Pass, Boulder River Wilderness.
looking northeast from west of Squire Creek Pass, Boulder River Wilderness.
I lost the trail after the ravine, where the terrain mellows out into glades.
Mt Bullen and Whitehorse Mtn from Squire Creek Pass, Boulder River Wilderness.
Three Fingers from Squire Cr Pass, , Boulder River Wilderness.
Three Fingers from Squire Cr Pass, , Boulder River Wilderness.
2 hours hike in and 1.5 hours out. Very warm and sunny on the drive home around Rockport and Concrete.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostWed Jun 03, 2009 7:28 am 
Nice! up.gif So route finding isn't a problem on the snowy portion? Thanks for the pictures, it is a very cool place.

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
whitebark

whitebark
PostWed Jun 03, 2009 9:03 am 
Good news that the 8 mile creek trailhead is accessible! Last Sunday, I hiked toward the pass via Squire Creek. Now that the Squire Creek route is two miles longer due to the landslide damage, the 8 mile route is probably the quickest way to the pass. Snow begins at 3000' on the Squire Creek route, just when you break out of the trees below Jumbo Mountain (check my WTA report).

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Jun 03, 2009 9:16 am 
WOW! that AVI deposit already melted that much! I figured it would be July before that would happen!

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
don b

don b
PostWed Jun 03, 2009 9:19 am 
I was rock climbing on 3 O'Clock rock on Sunday and we stopped at the avy spot and rode our bikes to the trailhead. A CC.com climber had hand dug the road out as well as cutting out the big tree that had fallen during our absence. He calls himself "I need to climb" and this certainly demonstrates that! Great work on his part!

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostWed Jun 03, 2009 9:43 pm 
Grizzy wrote:
...So route finding isn't a problem on the snowy portion? ...
The route beyond the snow-filled ravine about 1/2 mile beyond the big pool below the slab waterfall was totally covered with snow. I probably lost the real trail and just followed my own course after the ravine. I've never been up there when the trail is free of snow so I don't know how far I was off from the buried trail. --------------------------- Oh yeah ...the night before I car camped up on what I think is a spur of FR 2420 on Gold Mountain above the White Chuck whitewater put-in. The campsite was next to an old burnt and logged area. The views from the scenic clearcut/burn were nice. This spur road would be a nice double track mountain bike ride if it were longer.
Jumbo Mountain from a spur of FR 2420 near Darrington
sunset from a spur road on Gold Mtn
sunset from a spur road on Gold Mtn
Mt Pugh and Sloan Peak from a spur on Gold Mountain near Darrington at evening
Mt Pugh and Sloan Peak from a spur on Gold Mountain near Darrington at evening
Helena Ridge from Gold Mtn spur road
Mt Pugh and Sloan Peak from a spur on Gold Mountain near Darrington
Mt Pugh and Sloan Peak from a spur on Gold Mountain near Darrington
ruffed grouse mama hen on Gold Mtn near Darrington, Washington
Before hiking to Squire Creek Pass, I checked out the mega washout on FR 23, the White Chuck Road that provides so much access to the Glacier Peak Wilderness. Man, does this washout suck!
White Chuck Mtn and the White Chuck from the huge washout  on FR 23
White Chuck Mtn and the White Chuck from the huge washout on FR 23
FR 23 on the White Chuck River
Before the hike, I encountered a volunteer WTA crew rebuilding the White Chuck Bench Trail. Although I greatly appreciate hard work in principal, IMO, they're spending too much effort of scarce resources over-maintaining a trail to nowhere. I'd rather they expend all that effort on a trail that is in worse shape and goes to an interesting feature.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jun 03, 2009 10:04 pm 
Yew, the White Chuck Bench trail is pretty exciting. I didn't visit it before it was all washed out. Since then, I've visited it twice - it's a beautiful lowland trail that locals used a lot, and one that I'll use time and time again. There are awesome river views, and it's a gorgeous forest. The White Chuck Rd decision hasn't been made yet - I contacted the person in charge of the EA today, to check on the status. She said that so many people commented that they're still preparing their matrix. It'll be forthcoming in the next couple o' weeks. Cool pic of the grouse. Glad to see more trip reports on Squire Creek. I had my first visit last year. If the Forest Service knows people visit it, perhaps it'll get more regular attention. The trail from 8 Mile to 3 O'Clock rock was practically re-built several years ago, but as you know the worst of it is beyond the Rock (and the whole other side is pretty bad). I found a photo last night of the Jumbo Mtn washout (Squire Creek road side of this trail), a few months after it happened. I'll scan it and post it next week. I think fwb's trip report of the Jumbo climb had good current washout photos - I'll post it on that t hread for comparison.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting