Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tumwater Mountain Solo - 2009.05.24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostThu May 28, 2009 10:30 pm 
I couldn't get anyone else to go with me, so it ended up being a solo conditioning hike for me. I started out at the end of Ranger Road about 8:30am in the warm Sunday sunshine. The gate was open, but not having been on the logging road before, I didn't want to chance driving further up it, so we stopped there and the wife took the car away. There is not much to say about the road walk, but it is a nice climb and good for conditioning. The alternate reason for this hike was to take pictures of Drury Falls, which my wife really likes to look at from the canyon, causing many near misses in the car. smile.gif The views are really nice all the way, if you are in the clear spots and they slowly unfold further and further first to the east, then the north and south and finally to the west. The road goes past a microwave and cellular station and finally, a very nice meadow at about 3360'. The road peters out at about 3900' and then it is straight up to the summit points. I met four young dudes up there and they seemed suitably impressed that an old overweight guy made it up that last pitch. smile.gif Here is the fruit of the labor:
Drury Falls
Drury Falls
Full photo album here: Tumwater Mt Hike The descent was ok, I only fell on my butt twice on the steep part but no problems there. The real issue was falling down on the logging road! No joke, I got a tremendous road rash that is still bugging me. I have a couple patches of 2nd-skin on it tonight but it is still oozing. I may have to go to the doc even so. What a putz.
Road Rash
Road Rash
Then, a mile or so later, I heard a serious buzzing on the bank of the road next to me. Look slowly over, and sure enough, a large rattlesnake was letting me know he was there. Good sized too! I took a bunch of photos and he seemed cooperative with the lens as long as I didn't get too close. He had a bead drawn on me the whole time too.
Say Hello to my Little Friend!
Say Hello to my Little Friend!
Anyway, it was a good hike, despite the blood, and the 9 miles and 3000' of gain (and loss) felt just fine.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu May 28, 2009 11:41 pm 
Unquestionably the best shot of Drury Falls yet. Very, very illustrative. Oustanding job. up.gif

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu May 28, 2009 11:50 pm 
Nice forked tongue shot. up.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostFri May 29, 2009 1:02 am 
Nice pictures of Drury Falls! First picture that I've seen that shows the whole falls. I was there on Monday looking for it on the way to Leavenworth and all I could see was the falls to the left of Drury Falls, but I knew that couldn't be it. It wasn't till I got back in the car with my friends and we started driving that I saw Drury Falls. It was hot on Monday so I can just imagine what it was like on Sunday. How many miles to the top and what was the elevation gain?

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostFri May 29, 2009 6:21 am 
The one-way mileage was a little bit over 4 miles from the end of Ranger Road to the top. Gain is about 2900-3000'. I rambled a little bit at the top so the total mileage ended up at 9 miles. Thanks for the compliments on the fall shots (water, not me!). We have been looking at those falls for years driving back and forth to Leavenworth and I finally had enough. I think I have one or two that are suitable for printing out for my wife's birthday.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri May 29, 2009 9:51 pm 
Agree -- that falls goes and goes. And Ouch! on the leg scrape.

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostFri May 29, 2009 11:14 pm 
Yep. The road rash is still hanging in there too, 5 days later. It is slowly getting smaller, but still oozing. Spenco 2nd skin feels really good on it. I think tomorrow will be the make or break day. If it isn't much better, I am going to have to have it looked after by a pro. I did a short hike today with my younger son's cub scout den and it felt ok, but the leg is sore on the outside, either crinkly skin or tape/hair interactions. I would like to take the family up Heybrook Ridge on Sunday to get some shots of Index/Persis/Philadelphia, but if the oozing doesn't stop by then, I need to rethink the plan.

gone

gone
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 10:38 am 
Sorry I missed this report at the time, thanks for linking it over on Scrooge's Drury Falls thread. That's a great shot of the falls - the full-length perspective really shows it off! up.gif Sorry to hear about that scrape, it looks really painful. frown.gif Hope it's healing up well now.

aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 4:39 pm 
This is an amazing shot:
Drury Falls
Drury Falls
And this is why I don't slide anymore in softball:
Road Rash
Road Rash
I got about 3 of those a year when I stupid and in college so I quit sliding. Hope you get better soon. Those things can last forever.

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostWed Jun 10, 2009 6:51 am 
ewb wrote:
Sorry to hear about that scrape, it looks really painful. frown.gif Hope it's healing up well now.
Thanks. It's sealed up now, but it is really looking ugly. The dead skin layer and all that...The nerves are finally covered up and reconnected too so it doesn't hurt anymore.