Forum Index > Trip Reports > Airplane Lake (Sultan) - 5/07/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 9:58 am 
This was a last minute idea. I found only a report by the Monroe Hikers and it did not have any details. I know Scrooge and others know of this area. Don't expect to see many folks out this way. 35 photos posted here: Airplane Lake Photos Now onto the hike: Yesterday I drove 240 miles and attended a wedding. I did not get home until 9:45 pm. I wanted a short drive for the day's hike. I chose a hike from Footsore 2 that I had thought about for more than a decade. It was time to do some exploring. In the 1977 book the road was open as far as one could drive. There have not been many reports so I did not have much to go on. One 2001 report mentioned a gate near Mud Lake, 2 1/2 miles in. The other more recent report mentioned an 18 mile hike to the old lookout site. I was not sure what I would find. To get there, drive Highway 2 east over the bridge into Sultan. At the first light turn right. In one mile there is a "T". Go right on Ben Howard Road for exactly one mile. The gated road is on your left. Room for about three cars without blocking the gate. I arrived to find the gate (elevation 200') locked and a long walk ahead of me. It was only 43 miles from my home in North Seattle. I was not on the road very early and it was 9:45 when I started. Since I did not do the usual planning for a new trip I had only the book and a hard to read map to go on. The ink on my printer picked this day to run out of one color half way across the page. Best of all, I managed to leave the book and map on the table at home. I was really on my own now. I knew there were numerous old spurs along the route. I just hoped the main one would be the most used and I could find my way. A short way up the gated road I saw why this gate will never be unlocked again. There is a cell phone tower right along the road. After a short climb the road is very gentle for a long way. This trip was back end loaded for elevation gain. It did allow for fast hiking at first. It also would be ideal for an easy mountain bike ride. A half bike half hike trip would be much easier if going all 18 miles round trip to the old lookout site.
Cell Tower
Cell Tower
There are lots of flowers along the road. Yellow buttercup like flowers line much of the route. Some pink flowers and daisies are also along the lower route. The varieties changed as I gained elevation. About a mile in I was very surprised to see two jeeps heading out. Some folks have gate keys. I don't know where they had been. They were one of only two groups I saw all day. The trick is to always follow the most used road. There were several well used side roads but they had a little grass in the middle. The real route has no grass. My first mileage marker was at 2 1/2 miles. Mud Lake is just beyond. The lake may be a mud puddle in mid summer but it's a nice sized lake now.
Lots of Color
Lots of Color
Green Border
Green Border
Foxglove
Foxglove
Daisies
Daisies
Mud Lake
Mud Lake
There were cattails along the edge and some lily pads too. They had bright yellow flowers I had not seen before. After the lake there was a 3 mile marker. The grade is very flat through here. I gained 400' in the first 2 1/2 miles and 300 more in the next 2 1/4 miles. Finally at about 4 3/4 miles the route begins to climb. This would be a good spot to stash a mountain bike. The climb is steep at first then moderates a little. I calculated that I still had 2100' to gain in the last 3 1/4 miles.
Yellow Marsh Flower
Yellow Marsh Flower
Skunk Cabbage
Skunk Cabbage
Dandelion Puffball
Dandelion Puffball
The route climbs into a narrow valley with a forested bump on the left and the bulk of the mountains on the right. Beyond there views began to open up. I could see down to the Skykomish Valley. The peaks of the Mountain Loop from Pilchuck to Big Four should have been on view but All I had were thick clouds. The road swichbacked to the right and entered a big clear cut. No trees but lots of green covering the ground. Each creek had a greenbelt of big trees on each side. I walked from open to forest to open a number of times.
Narrow Valley
Narrow Valley
Old & New Forest
Old & New Forest
There was another and final mile marker on a tree at 6 miles (2 hours) as the views first began. At about 7 miles I faced a dilemma. I came to a junction. Straight ahead on a flat road or climbing steeply to the left. If I had a map I would have known which road was correct. They were both well used and the road to the left might be just a little bit better. I was at about 2200' with 850' to go to Airplane lake in just 1 mile. That's pretty steep for a road. I debated and chose the steeper road.
First View Of Valley
First View Of Valley
Waterfall
Waterfall
Springboard Stump
Springboard Stump
Bunch A Bunchberries
Bunch A Bunchberries
It was plenty steep. I climbed up with a few short switchbacks. It just didn't feel right. I began to think it was just a road to log the trees up to the ridge. After more than half a mile and 550' of gain I came to another junction. One road down, one up to the right and the main road straight ahead and up. Now I was pretty sure this was the wrong route. If I kept going up to 3050' and didn't find Airplane Lake I would not have time and energy to take the other route. I turned around and headed down.
Lake Chaplain
Lake Chaplain
Open Slope
Open Slope
At the junction I took the other route. The road to this point could be driven by any car with above average ground clearance. There were a few small washouts but none very deep or long. The upper road has a few newer washouts that would be a problem. Only one would stop a truck and that one could be crossed with a little shoveling of dirt. No matter the road is gated and few will ever try to drive it again. The flat section ended abruptly and the road really began to climb. Another junction with one road heading down. Not for me. A few old spurs heading off. After an especially steep grade I came to yet another junction.
Marsh Marigold
Marsh Marigold
The left road was newer. The right one looked old and little used. I chose the right fork. I had seen lots of bunchberry lower and now I came to patches of marsh marigolds and violets. Lots of color. My altimeter was reading over 3000' and I was afraid I was not going to find the darn lake. Low and behold, off to the right through the trees was water. The outlet looks like it had blown out. Not much vegetation in the creek bed. A new culvert was in place with a loads of gravel around it. A gravel road was built recently to reach the outlet. I took the old dirt road down to the outlet, crossed it and went to the lake shore.
Lake Shore
Lake Shore
Lake Reflection
Lake Reflection
Airplane Lake is not very large. The hillside behind is forest and berry bushes. It would be very colorful in the fall. The ridge top was mostly in the clouds. It's just a mile from the lake to the lookout site with 500' of gain. I thought the road went around the right side of the lake but I was not sure (It does). The main gravel road goes up steeply to the left of the lake. I did see a dirt road/trail going to the right. It was still mostly snow covered. and a bit overgrown. That was the first snow I came to. There was some higher on the ridge top. The bugs were thick at the lake and my stay was short. It was almost 2:00 pm. The ridge was in clouds. I was not sure of the correct route to the old lookout site. I chose to head down.
Last Junction
Last Junction
Narrow Valley Below
Narrow Valley Below
The route down was fine but awfully long. A few years ago when plantar fasciitis was bedeviling me a nearly 18 mile road walk would have killed my feet. This day they were tired but not painful. On the way down I met three motorcycles with five passengers. They were friendly and courteous. They passed me again on their way out. I only took one break on the eight miles coming down. At Mud Lake I had some food and sat for a minute. I head a loud crashing noise out on the lake. A moment later I heard it again. I had to stand up and take a look. I saw something far out on the lake creating a wake. I couldn't tell what it was. My new camera has a crazy 18x zoom so I took a few shots at maximum zoom. I think it was a beaver. The noise was its tail slapping on the water. It was either a beaver or otter.
Buttercup Like Flower
Buttercup Like Flower
Even Closer
Even Closer
Rock Garden
Rock Garden
Beaver?
Beaver?
Bright Ferns
Bright Ferns
After that it was just another 2 1/2 miles of mind numbing walking. I was very glad to see my car again. It is 16 miles with 2950' of gain to Airplane Lake. 18 miles with 3500' to the lookout site. With my detour my day ended up being about 17 1/2 miles with 3600'. Most folks I know do not like hiking old logging roads. I can understand. Still, they go to many lakes and peaks and provide amazing solitude. I have done Roads to Rattlesnake Mountain, Calligan Lake, and now this one so far this year. There is a lot to be said for getting away from the crowds.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 10:11 am 
That's a different kind of report. I haven't caught the lake bagger bug yet so I would have been a little dissapointed not getting to the lookout. I don't mind being on roads if they go where I want to get to, but I get irked when others have keys and drive by. I bring a bike or do the road routes in the winter when cutting switchbacks on snow up or down is easier.

JimK

JimK
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 10:18 am 
puzzlr, the lookout would have been nice, but the ridge was in clouds, the map was at home, didn't know the route, and 17 1/2 miles with 3600' of gain on road was enough for me. I might come back with a mountain bike to see the lookout site and points higher.

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 10:19 am 
Nice! I been tempted to go to Airplane Lake. I heard there is a waterfall about 5 miles past the first one that is by the cell tower (McCoy Falls). I sure didn't expect the scenery to look so nice on the hike up that road. Nice job!

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 10:40 am 
That's Lake Chaplain you were seeing, Jim.

JimK

JimK
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 10:48 am 
I pulled out the map and yes indeed, Schroder is definitely correct.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 11:37 am 
Nice job and pics. That's an interesting area to explore. The gate over the past 20 years has been open at various times for up to years at a time. Depending on if they are logging or the whim of the owners. There's a mix of private, DNR, Weyerhaeuser, and FS land, so it's a jumbled up place. I was locked in there for 12 hrs the day after Thanksgiving 4 years ago. One of the loggers drove right by me and never said a word he was locking the gate. shakehead.gif Back then there were ZERO signs on the gate and it had been previously open for years. What I learned from that experience is a group from China bought up a large chunk of the land and that's all the present logging you see. I met a homeless person that was living 3 miles up the road that had a key and let me out. I haven't been in there since that episode and wonder if he's still living in the tent. I have no idea where the name Mud Lake comes from? The first lake you come to is called Lake 16. It's in section 16 on the map, so would guess that's where the name came from. Used to be a very popular camping/party lake long ago. There was a huge floating dock/platform that was great for swimming and fishing. It's a deep lake and doesn't dry up. Excellent fishing long ago. It was always packed on opening day of fishing season. There is a nice waterfall about 5 miles in. You can access it from an old side spur. At least you could 15 years ago. It's tough to reach any view point and was a brush beating hell, so only the crazies will want to attempt now. agree.gif I see a boat and camping spot at Airplane, so it looks like people are still camping there. There used to be some nice fishing in that lake too. It used to be stocked on a regular basis, but I haven't fished there in many years. Not to be an alarmist, but much of that area from the Ben Howard Rd. south to Cedar Ponds is kinda a no mans land of survivalist type of people, so if those kind of people upset you then it's not a place to walk the poodle with your REI best. Might be just the place TAH would enjoy if he ever got off I-90. hockeygrin.gif Wonderful area to explore if you really want some wild country. up.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
JimK

JimK
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 12:01 pm 
Geo, Footsore 2 is all I had to go by. Harvey Manning called the lake at 2 1/2 miles Mud Lake so that's what I called it. Lake 16, Lake 617, or Mud Lake. I think they are all the same lake.

Frank

Frank
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 6:25 pm 
There is a shortcut to Airplane lake via Proctor creek road saves you several miles walking and about 1500 feet of elevation gain it goes near Haleyon lake that i want to visit if anyone is interested.

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 7:01 pm 
This one is right in my backyard, and I had never heard about it. Thanks for the tips about the bike as I love to go to old and/or existing lookout sites.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 7:45 pm 
Airplane Lake - it's been awhile.      :)
Airplane Lake - it's been awhile. wink.gif
At least two cameras ago, on film, scanned in ........ and it wasn't very photogenic and I wasn't much of a photographer. embarassedlaugh.gif Larch and I were at Airplane Lake two or three times, but we came in over the top, from the Weyerhaueser Tree Farm, each time, driving as far up Haystack (Sultan) Ridge as we could and then walking when the roads stopped being passenger car drivable. Loved walking those abandoned Tree Farm roads. Talk about solitude. It was right there, right on the edge of the city. Jim, we used to walk that McCoy Creek road for winter exercise. I believe the furthest we ever got, going that way, was the end of that strange, narrow valley that you talked about.
My one regret in that area is that we never did get up to the true summit of Haystack Ridge, choosing each time to go down to Airplane Lake, instead. irked.gif I can't say Mud Lake ever had much hold on my imagination, but I did want to get to Tomtit Lake. No go. By the time we were exploring that area, the shores of Tomtit and Dagger were all very tightly, privately held. One of my favorite views, though, is the area around those lakes, seen from the top of a cliff that the road crosses just before it turns into the narrow valley. To my eye, it was exactly like looking down on a topographic map. Abrupt, small hills and canyons dotted about and around the lakes. biggrin.gif An oddly interesting area. Frank, I used to have plans for Haleyon, but it's long since drifted off the bottom of my list. Hope you find someone. HD, the lookout is long gone. Nothing left but the radio tower, and it's just as dull as you'd expect it to be. Which reminds me: Jim, how the heck did you manage to turn that first relay tower into photographic art?

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 8:02 pm 
Thanks for sharing. I live in Sultan and had no idea about it. This will be a good one to explore when time is limited. Nice report and pics.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostTue Jun 09, 2009 10:58 pm 
Very nice JimK. A favorite spot when I was a teen. I can't believe you walked the whole way. Biking is certainly preferred. Coming down is a blast. I'd guess the old road up from Airplane to the lookout(towers) is pretty overgrown by now. I think it was 8-10years ago the I walked a bike down that, and it was beginning to grow over pretty good then. The road that takes off to the east from airplane leads to a nice overlook if you hike a little through the trees. Frank, its been about 4-5years since I have been up that road from Procter to the airplane side. Does it still go? Haleyon should be fun. You should check out the Haleyon swap at the 3000ft flat spot also. Edit: I just looked at your site. I'm surprised there is a culvert at the lake outlet. The last time I was there it was all blown out and half the road along the outlet had washed away.

Frank

Frank
PostWed Jun 10, 2009 6:13 pm 
Justus S. The road from proctor creek is clear to Duffy creek after that it is very overgrown but it is doable. I think it is about a mile and a half to the new clearcut below Haleyon lake. looks like they are going to log above Airplane lake this summer.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed Jun 10, 2009 6:55 pm 
FYI, if they lock the Persis gate at Hwy 2 that route is a no go for the foreseeable future. As of last weekend the gate was still open. I must be getting really old, I can remember when that area was logged back in the 60's! Now it's getting logged again. Scrooge, I was one of the few that was allowed to fish Dagger and Tomtit back in the late 60's-70's. I spent all of my teen summers living on Cedar Ponds. All I can say is incredible fishing for native cutts. Weyerhaeuser bought up that area in the early 70's and turned it into a private retreat for the rich and famous. Someone decided to dump in bass and that all but destroyed the incredible cutt fishing. There used to be some HUGE bass in there, and no doubt a state record if someone wanted to really target that lake. I have no problem posting this if someone wants to risk their life going in there. I've been shot at and threatened several times, so it's not a place to hang out unless you have a death wish. There's an old road that leads from Tomtit up to an overlook 300 ft above with a knock out view. You can spit from there into Tomtit. I always had this dream to build a cabin on the edge and I'd be in heaven. It's been too long since I've been in there poking around. I see on the Sat view that there's what looks to be a garbage dump near Dagger Lk. There was awesome fishing in that lake too.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles