Forum Index > Food & Grub > Food u love to eat on a long Summer Hike & food you don't
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
solohiker

solohiker
PostFri Jun 12, 2009 8:32 am 
Neustart wrote:
I asked him what he was eating. "Peanut Butter," he replied. My stomach wanted to have a seizure. At least he did not say "Tunafish"
I guess I'm not getting this - what's wrong with tunafish? Seriouslly, it's probably my most frequent lunch food of choice for longer day hikes. The small foil packets with a variety of flavors added make for an easy and tasty high protein snack, with a lot less fat than summer sausage. Don't get me wrong, I love the taste of summer sausage too, but it sometimes feels like a brick in my stomach afterwards, where tuna keeps me feeling light and full of energy.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
schrader23

schrader23
PostFri Jun 12, 2009 1:23 pm 
Red Vines up.gif Carrot Cake Clif Bar down.gif

Next thing you know....You're in the ditch!
Neustart

Neustart
PostFri Jun 12, 2009 6:15 pm 
[quote="solohiker"]
Neustart wrote:
I asked him what he was eating. "Peanut Butter," he replied. My stomach wanted to have a seizure. At least he did not say "Tunafish"
I guess I'm not getting this - what's wrong with tunafish? quote] I guess its a personal thing. You know, something that salty on a hot day.. of course come to think of it, the kind that comes in fresh water might taste very nice.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jun 12, 2009 8:19 pm 
Hot days I prefer simple as can be - a bag of kettle potato chips and lots of liquids, I carry fruit on some trips - I pack it carefully though in my gear. Or I carry freeze-dried fruit. In all honesty I have found ways to take pretty much anything I crave!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Jun 13, 2009 4:57 am 
Comrades, A friend of mine got so fed up with packing lunches he rebelled and now hikes with these huge tupperwares of stirfry, pasta w/marinara, and assorted brown/wild rice casseroles. Whatever is the fridge becomes trailfood. Sorta strange to be sitting next to him on a log with your little powerbar and dried apricots and he has this toilet bowl of stirfry with a metal fork and a shaker full of soy sauce. Tom

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Jun 13, 2009 6:52 am 
tmatlack wrote:
I quoted the entire preceding post!
In all honesty, on dayhikes, why not? I love taking leftovers! If not, I almost always cook a meal on the trail for lunch for dayhikes. Life is too short to eat dry Powerbars when one could be noshing on REAL food. biggrin.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Jun 13, 2009 8:45 am 
I do that as well. It's especially cool when snowshoeing to pull out the stove and heat up some left over spaghetti for lunch. I've also been known to take along a big green salad or a big scoop of potato salad. It all works.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Jun 13, 2009 11:39 am 
If I am doing a one-nighter (which I do mostly) I just eat a huge breakfast and take two sandwiches in my pack. One for lunch and one for dinner. That way you don't really need to cook at all. I do usually take a half oz beer can alky stove and have a cup of coffee in the morning and maybe a cup of oatmeal along with some dried fruit. Also, I usually always loose at least a pound or so after each hike.

Land Cruiser

Land Cruiser
PostSat Jun 20, 2009 9:45 pm 
one of my favorites is oranges, I toss them in the freezer for a few hours before I leave the house. Nothing tastes better than a nice cold orange on a hot summer day! I went up with a a few buddys a couple weeks ago for a day hike..we froze some steak kabobs the night before, wrapped them in foil, and kept them in ice on the drive to the trailhead. Once we reached our destination, we took our three beers, and put them in the river, found an established fire spot, and gathered some light timber to start a small fire, about 30 minutes later the bob's are done, the beers are cold!

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostMon Jun 22, 2009 3:13 pm 
What I take on a hike: Bagel with pastrami, pepper jack cheese and lettuce 2 -3 energy bars or goop packets A Monster Energy Drink (usually saved for the drive home) What I would never take on a hike: Indian food I had Indian food for the first time today, and it feels like the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh is dancing the Charleston in my colon.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jun 22, 2009 3:15 pm 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
What I would never take on a hike: Indian food I had Indian food for the first time today, and it feels like the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh is dancing the Charleston in my colon.
ykm.gif ykm.gif

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 2:24 pm 
Ingunn wrote:
Hiking is the only thing that makes me lose my appetite (hmmm.gif), but some of the things I usually manage to eat are cold pizza, grilled cheese and vegetable sandwiches (which is pretty much the same as pizza) and chocolate. It's all very healthy.
Very healthy indeed. embarassedlaugh.gif There's something about cold pizza that's just universally appealing. Something to consider when bringing dehydrated fruit or dry nuts is that your body takes more water to digest dehydrated foods (or any food in general) so you actually need to drink more water if you expect it to digest properly. You can dehydrate in the bush just by eating, even if you have a fair water supply!

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSat Jul 18, 2009 3:00 pm 
I'm a stovie so I like to cook something on all my hikes. It gives me a chance to test out my latest alcohol stove. I always have a hot cup of tea at my turn around point on a day hike. I make most of my backpacking meals at home. Dehydrated leftovers can be really yummy out in the trail. I make a lot of fruit leather with what ever is free and in season. Right now I am making fruit leather from tart cherries from my neighbor’s tree. I make a lot of black berry leather, sometimes I mix plain yogurt into my fruit leathers to make them smoother and to give me some calcium. Last year Green Bean threads (from Asian supermarkets) were a real hit with my family. They are very high in calories and cook very fast. I used them in the place of spaghetti noodles. I fry hamburger with seasonings and then dehydrate it and store it in the freezer until I am ready to take it backpacking. I drop the hamburger pieces into mashed potatoes, or noodles with tomato sauce or rice with hummus. I make my own hummus and then dehydrate and power it. I'm going to make a big batch of beef and macaroni today and I plan on dehydrating at least half of it. We eat better when we are hiking then we eat when we are at home.

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostThu Jul 23, 2009 8:36 pm 
Re: hike food
the1mitch wrote:
I live by the rule of three. Okay four. IMHO artificial sweeteners and colorings can mess you up at any time and more so on the trail.
You could be right. I figured out that my migraines are caused by MSG when I was on the trail. At home I never knew what gave me those three day headaches. But when a bowl of noodles that I had on a day hike gave me a headache only 5 minutes after I was done eating I figured out the culprit was MSG. I had been eating those noodles for years too. It took a few more headaches for me to learn that artificial lemon flavored sodas and teas often have MSG (labeled as "natural flavors") and marmite is almost pure MSG. It really sucks have to read labels so closely and there are a lot of foods I can't eat.

lankymo

lankymo
PostWed Feb 24, 2010 8:16 pm 
I love fruit cups, ill bring a whole packet of them. They are so refreshing! Also soup for the long hikes in the cold. ill just buy a few asian noodle soup mixes, they are nice and spicey. I can always add to the soup mixes. At first i wasnt a fan of dried bread on trips. I wanted to be refreshed but i have since had a change of heart and love good bread up in the olympics. ill take the extra weight for bread=)