Forum Index > Trip Reports > Marmot Pass 06.11.09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostFri Jun 12, 2009 10:59 pm 
It was another great day to be out enjoying this warm and dry spring. There are quite a few potholes right near the trailhead, but otherwise it's a very nice FS road. There was one couple signed in when I left the TH at about 9:30. I caught up with them after a mile or so. The lady was wearing headphones and I wasn't exactly sure how to get her attention without scaring her. I must have walked three feet behind her for a quarter mile, waving my arms out to the side and such before the gentleman stopped to check on her progress. He was wearing headphones too. For me being able to hear the birds sing, wind blow, and stillness of the forest is half the pleasure. Passing through the scree slopes was pure delight. Many flowers are starting to appear, and after stopping every few feet I had to ask myself, how does one get any hiking done around here? There are only a few small patches of consolidated snow left going up the switchbacks. I reached the pass to find some nice distant views with heavy clouds socked in behind. I made my way about 400' up Buckhorn and realized I probably wasn't going to be able to see much more (today). I found a rock chair and enjoyed lunch while one couple with a dog came and went from the pass and the original couple arrived. Surprising it wasn't that breezy, but I did have to add to my t-shirt & shorts. The Views
Marmot Pass
Marmot Pass
Marmot Pass
Marmot Pass
Rhododendron
Rhododendron
I hardly know a tulip from a turnip, so I flipped through my little flower book real quick and labeled the most obvious ones for ya. You're welcome. smile.gif Flower Power
Dogwood
Dogwood
Devil's Club
Devil's Club
Paintbrush
Paintbrush
Phlox
Phlox
Glacier Lily
Glacier Lily
6,385'
6,385'
Maybe a half mile down the road from the TH, I came across a deer and fawn. They trotted down the road and the fawn was absolutely hilarious. It was very small and kicked its legs way up like a bunking bronco trying to run. I seem to always come across a lot of deer on the roads in the Olympics. Another reason to travel safely. (sorry, couldn't get a pic of the fawn in time)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Jun 13, 2009 6:45 am 
oh cool cool.gif ...it's a waiting game for me to get there. first week of july! dang, #$%! rant.gif marathon gets in the way of true fun biggrin.gif thank you for this timely TR and photos.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Jun 13, 2009 6:55 am 
sure....easier said than done, as i sit here contemplating an 18 mile run/jog/walk, etc. hmmm.gif i hope i'm not too sore/tired as the plan is to go to townsend tomorrow. klahhane ridge is sounding better and closer! trail is basically snow free! oh, road to obstruction point/peak is still closed after last night. one can hike on the road, of course.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
ScottM

ScottM
PostSat Jun 13, 2009 9:07 pm 
Nice trip on one of my favorite trails. I'm heading up there Monday, hopefully the weather will hold in there for a few more days.

Slow Hiker

Slow Hiker
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 7:39 am 
Love this picture. Thanks

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 8:18 am 
I really appreciate the info and the lovely pictures. I can't wait to go there with bcfc53!!! Let's hope we get good weather that week. My legs are a little sore after Mt. Washington (mostly from the goat trail we took embarassedlaugh.gif ) so I'm hoping Marmot Pass back to back with Mt. Townsend won't be too painful - guess that's what vitamin I is for! I'll soon be training on several back to back ones in Stehekin - yippee! One more week of work until 8 weeks off . . . lots of mountain time coming up.

Fedor

Fedor
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 8:49 am 
NWtrax wrote:
...The lady was wearing headphones and I wasn't exactly sure how to get her attention without scaring her. I must have walked three feet behind her for a quarter mile, waving my arms out to the side...
lol.gif You're too kind. After a minute or two of that I think I probably would've just scared them. I can't imagine hiking with headphones either. Thanks for the trip report.

kycooyo

kycooyo
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 5:10 pm 
I am thinking of heading up there tomorrow. With regards to Marmot Pass, is there an adequate water source near the pass or would it be best to spend the night at Camp Mystery? Thanks for your help!

NWtrax

NWtrax
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 8:57 pm 
Yeah there is still snow in the pass area if you wanna melt it, but otherwise pack water in from Camp Mystery.