Forum Index > Trip Reports > Colonel Bob via Pete's Creek
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dawgTE

dawgTE
PostWed Jun 03, 2009 9:58 am 
Anyone that is ever in the Lake Quinalt area and is looking for a nice little hike this one is for you. Pete's Creek to Colonel Bob is a little over 4 miles with about 3300' elevation gain and has always been one of my favorites. Woke up early at my parents house in Aberdeen and headed out the door. I was a little disappointed with all the fog, but it was clear by the time I hit Humptulips. At this point I knew the summit was going to have awesome views. Hit the trail head and found I was the only one around, although right before I started up the trail another car pulled in, but I didn't see those guys again until I was on my way back down. The trail was in good shape up through the forest with a few creek crossings. They are nothing major and can be crossed without getting your feet wet if you are athletic enough. Right before you come out of the forest and hit the switch backs on the open face I stopped to take a few pictures of the creek near the obvious camping spots.
Another Creek Shot
Another Creek Shot
Creek Near Camping Spots
Creek Near Camping Spots
I hit the first snow of the trip right as you come out of the forest. Again, nothing major here just some patches across the trail. I could easily see where the trails goes so it wasn't an issue. I continued to hit patches all the way up to moonshine flats. Here is where the snow got deeper. I haven't been up here since about 96' but if I remember right there are some pretty big boulders around moonshine flats and I couldn't see a single one. I would guess it may be 10 feet deep in some spots. Even with all of the snow it was easy to make it through the flats, there was previous tracks I followed for the most part. There was no need for snow shoes. Once I hit the base of the final pitch I just headed straight up. I guess that's the one good thing about the snow hockeygrin.gif - Once on the top I had my favorite summit sandwich ( squished PB & J ) and started to take some pictures. It was a great day to be on top that's for sure.
View of Lake Quinalt
View of Lake Quinalt
Valley Above Lake Quinalt
Valley Above Lake Quinalt
Looking North
Looking North
Summit Pic
Summit Pic
Looking Down on Moonshine Flats
Looking Down on Moonshine Flats
Summit panorama
Summit panorama
Mount Rainier
Mount Rainier
Near by Peak
Near by Peak
Shoe shot towards Lake Quinalt
Shoe shot towards Lake Quinalt
Everything was A OK on the way down except for the fact that I dropped my little camera I keep in my pocket somewhere in the last mile before I was back at the truck. All in all a great day for a hike.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dawgTE

dawgTE
PostWed Jun 03, 2009 11:54 am 
HJT wrote:
Sweet! If it wasn't such a long drive for me to get to the trailhead, I'd go. Maybe I should make it an overnight trip, so I wouldn't have to do so much driving in one day.
There are camping spots along the trail just before you leave the forest and I know for sure that there are spots all over moonshine flats. There is also a creek that runs through there for water.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Jun 03, 2009 7:06 pm 
Thanks for the TR, I've wanted to climb that one for a while but it seems that it's usually winter when I'm in the Quinault area.

Eric Eames
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Jun 03, 2009 7:43 pm 
Did you happen to notice if there was any summit registers up there ?

dawgTE

dawgTE
PostThu Jun 04, 2009 1:53 pm 
captain jack wrote:
Did you happen to notice if there was any summit registers up there ?
You bet.
Summit Register
Summit Register

BigDaneage

BigDaneage
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 10:27 am 
I did this one in 2006 very nice trip. Although it was foggy and rainy when I got to the top, I could just sense the awesome views from atop of Mt. Col. Bob Thanks for the trip report! I shall be heading up there soon!

Olympic Mountain High