Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Isabel clean up. Thank you Kenmore Air!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jun 13, 2009 10:10 pm 
This morning I met the Hulkster, Quarky and many others for our "Clean up Lake Isabel" trip. We drove up to the Copperbell mine area and parked our cars and started the hike.
Dorks at the parking lot.
Dorks at the parking lot.
The trail is for the most part a direct line to the lake. I dont know why Sore Feet didnt come as that waterfall you have to climb up to the lake is really something. When we got up there there were some guys who had spent the night and had already gotten rid of some of the trash via a Cessna 206. There was a turbine powered Beaver already there when we got there and soon after our arrival a Kenmore Air Beaver showed up and thats when the fun started.
Turbine beaver on arrival
Turbine beaver on arrival
Kenmore Air Beaver
Kenmore Air Beaver
After a time the Kenmore pilot offered to take anyone who wanted down the lake to the sandy beach spot the planes always use for docking and camping. The ride was a blast. When we got there there was was another US Army painted Beaver there.
Beaver awaiting us at the beach
Beaver awaiting us at the beach
It didnt take long before there were other aircraft showing up. One was a Republic Seabee.
Republic Seabee
Republic Seabee
Before we knew it there was a beach full of airplanes.
All the planes at the beach
All the planes at the beach
Beavers at the beach
Beavers at the beach
We piled back into the plane after an hour or so and went back to the outlet area and started picking up what trash was left and loading it on the planes.
US Army Beaver
US Army Beaver
Proud Owner
Proud Owner
Kenmore Air Beaver at the outlet
Kenmore Air Beaver at the outlet
Garbage getting taken out
Garbage getting taken out
Both planes at the outlet
Both planes at the outlet
After a time the Kenmore pilot left and picked up a channel 5 news crew and brought them back and we had a little news show being recorded.
WSPA Representative
WSPA Representative
All in all it was a fantastic day with friends and airplanes. Who could ask for more. Thanks to Brain (the Hulkster) for putting this all together. A major sucess. P.S., watch the 11 news tonight (Saturday) on channel 5 for video of all of us!!! hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Jun 13, 2009 10:53 pm 
Well for me this day started last October...If someone told me then that there would be this would happen. I would have said, your melds are not working or perhaps a physiological examination. Even now I'm having trouble the turn out on this one. I tried to count all the people...I stopped trying when i got to 30. eek.gif Plus all the Sea Planes. We filled the Turbine Beaver full!!!! Seattle Seaplanes dropped by early yesterday and hauled out the job box. I wish i could have gotten a couple of pic of that getting loaded...but i was on the wrong end of the lake when they landed. How did i get the Sea Panes on board....simple. I saw a YouTube video of an airplane departing Lk Isabel, I took a gamble and E mailed the poster a simple request. IN all i think it was three airplane loads. Anyway..here's some more pics.
Q climbing up to Isabel
Q climbing up to Isabel
Where is BPJ
1 label
Where is BPJ
Q on the falls
Q on the falls
The easy route to Isabel
The easy route to Isabel
Taxi
Taxi
Guess who this is
Guess who this is
Turbine beaver.
Turbine beaver.
Paddle faster!!!
Paddle faster!!!
Bobbing for trash.
Bobbing for trash.
Bobbing for Beer.....sorry all empty
Bobbing for Beer.....sorry all empty
Cub
Cub
Beaver
Beaver
Trash on waiting to fly away
Trash on waiting to fly away
They dont make them like this anymore
They dont make them like this anymore
People and Planes Pano
People and Planes Pano
Seattle Seaplanes yesterday flying away with the biggest single piece of trash.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Jun 13, 2009 11:22 pm 
A huge thanks to Bruce, of Washinton Seaplanes Pilots Ass'n and Kenmore Air - without these fine folks, the trash would still be sitting there. The first order of the day was the fun drive up the road to the trailhead. It was great! (I never saw that "scary tippy" part of the road - was it that little spot near the switchback?) The hike up was stiff, but it was steady. Hot.
Creek diving
Creek diving
Brian (Hulksmash) espied a rubber raft in May Creek earlier this week, so that was extracted, slain & quartered, and hauled up to the lake to be included with the garbage pickup. A second raft was too tangled up in high water to extract at this time.
Lk Isabelle Clean Up - slaying an old rubber raft found in May Creek
Lk Isabelle Clean Up - slaying an old rubber raft found in May Creek
Lk Isabelle - the one that got away - Brian couldn't retrieve yellow raft from creek
6 labels
Lk Isabelle - the one that got away - Brian couldn't retrieve yellow raft from creek
I was sorta excited to see the old trail still exists! In the interested of getting there more quickly, the path used nowadays mostly ignores the old trail but for a few sections here and there - but it sure was fun to see that it's intact.
Lk Isabelle - action shot - old puncheon and hikers on it
Lk Isabelle - action shot - old puncheon and hikers on it
Lk Isabelle - old puncheon remains
Lk Isabelle - old puncheon remains
Lk Isabelle - Brian walking on old puncheon
Lk Isabelle - Brian walking on old puncheon
Nice trees and general nice views; great views of the May Creek falls
Lk Isabelle - May Creek and Brian
Lk Isabelle - May Creek and Brian
Lk Isabelle - Brian and May Creek waterfall
Lk Isabelle - Brian and May Creek waterfall
Lk Isabelle trail, big cedar
Lk Isabelle trail, big cedar
It was awesome to see the seaplanes up close and personal. The pilots were (and probably still are) wonderful folks; helpful and didn't roll their eyes at our dopey questions about their planes. Several of us rode across the lake in a couple of planes. (not in the air - sorta taxied on the water)
Lk Isabelle - seaplane & ridge where sit Dollar Lakes
Lk Isabelle - seaplane & ridge where sit Dollar Lakes
Lk Isabelle Clean Up - Kenmore Air guys and plane
Lk Isabelle Clean Up - Kenmore Air guys and plane
Lk Isabelle Clean Up - having fun in the seaplane
Lk Isabelle Clean Up - having fun in the seaplane
The beach across the lake that the seaplane people use to camp is clean - no garbage to begin with. All the b.s. was at the end of the lake accessible by hikers. down.gif mad.gif It was fun to watch the interviews.
Lk Isabelle Clean Up - Brian being interviewed by KING-TV guy
Lk Isabelle Clean Up - Brian being interviewed by KING-TV guy
GeoHiker's daughters and KING-TV guy
GeoHiker's daughters and KING-TV guy
I really enjoyed the day, and had a lot of fun meeting everyone. There were 8 of us in the beginning - we discovered 3 more already at the lake - they did much of the work - and several small groups showed up throughout the day. A big thanks to Hulksmash, our leader for this project. He discovered this lake for himself, loved it, saw that it needed help, and voila! He helped this beautiful lake! flowers.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 12:05 am 
Re: Lake Isabel clean up.  Thank you Kenmore air!
Backpacker Joe wrote:
The trail is for the most part a direct line to the lake. I dont know why Sore Feet didnt come as that waterfall you have to climb up to the lake is really something.
I didn't come because I was busy leading a photography workshop (read: making money) while dodging lightning bolts and dime-sized hailstones being dropped by the most ornery rain squall I have ever seen along the North Cascades Highway. You can keep your alleged "nice weather". tongue.gif

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 12:13 am 
Thanks everyone for the great day. Especially to you Brian (Hulksmash) for stirring up the interest. It was good getting back up there and seeing all the garbage GONE. Bruce (seaplane guys) did an awesome job and are interested in joining up with other hikers at more fly in lakes. We spoke at length about possibly working out a permit system to fly in to some lakes and do a annual clean up. They are very willing to work with us hikers and clean up some of the mess that's out there. Sure was nice not having to haul it all out on your back! up.gif up.gif My daughters and I were excited to take the ride down lake and back in the float plane. What would have taken a hour or more in a boat was easily 5 mins. Lots and lots of garbage was removed. I would guess 500-1,000 lbs. Much of the work was already done when we arrived, so my hats off to the float plane guys. They hauled out the big contractors box. WTG guys! It was cool to have the news coverage and the first time my daughters have been on tv. They were excited to say the least. Wow, talk about a destroyed road from 2-3 years ago. The last coulple miles have deteriorated into a washed out creek bed almost and very over grown. Great to meet some new NWHikers and sorry we missed you Quark at the hike out, but had to get rolling. BPJ,'s fridge and beverage sure hit the spot!...... up.gif up.gif Thanks to every one. Here's some of my pics.
Isabel Lk outlet
Isabel Lk outlet
Tree Huggers
Tree Huggers
Kent with a burl.
Kent with a burl.
Isabel Falls
Isabel Falls
Isabel Falls
Isabel Falls
Turbo power at Lk Isabel
Turbo power at Lk Isabel
Float plane beach Lk Isabel
Float plane beach Lk Isabel
Float plane beach
Float plane beach
Kenmore Air Harbor taking off.
Kenmore Air Harbor taking off.
Girls picking up garbage at the old cabin site.
Girls picking up garbage at the old cabin site.
Memorial on tree at Isabel
Memorial on tree at Isabel
Lake Isabel view
Lake Isabel view
The Army has arrived at Lake Isabel.
The Army has arrived at Lake Isabel.
Some of the clean up crowd.
Some of the clean up crowd.
Sarah and Jessica getting interviewed by KING 5 at Lk Isabel.
Sarah and Jessica getting interviewed by KING 5 at Lk Isabel.
Matilda arrives.
Matilda arrives.
Sarah bare footin at Lk Isabel.
Sarah bare footin at Lk Isabel.
Sarah at float plane beach, Lk Isabel.
Sarah at float plane beach, Lk Isabel.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
peltoms

peltoms
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 4:12 am 
Now that is an extraordinary trip report. We talk about cap and trade for co2. This was removing all trash trace in a big way. The falls look cool and what a once in a lifetime to see all those float planes. Any other lakes they could be utilized for?

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Austin

Austin
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 7:35 am 
CORRECTION There is a picture titled "SPA President". I am NOT the WSPA president. Can you change it to WSPA representative. thanks, austin BEFA Treasurer WSPA Member

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 7:45 am 
Nice job everyone! I didn't realize this was happening this weekend...sorry I didn't drag myself out there as it looked like a lot of fun. Just saw a story about it on King5 and I think Brian was in the spotlight and also maybe GeoHiker's daughters? up.gif up.gif up.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Slow Hiker

Slow Hiker
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 7:54 am 
Saw you on Channel 2 this morning Brian B. Good Job Hulksmash!

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 8:06 am 
I saw the story this morning on the news! I'm up in Canada, btw AWESOME WORK everyone - and huge cheers to Hulksmash for organizing all this. Wow. The wonderful chain of goodness started by an idea, an email... then lots of emails and focused activity. The world is a better place because of all of you. Thank you all for taking action.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 8:45 am 
thank you all for your dedication and hard work up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 9:00 am 
It was a good day out. Many thanks to Brian for setting this up, and getting a lovely lake cleaned up. 2 big thumbs up for Washington Seaplanes Pilots Association and Kenmore Air for hauling the trash. I don’t think any of us really wanted to pack out the trash.
Site where the bridge used to be.
Site where the bridge used to be.
Slide that took out the bridge, and a section of the road
Slide that took out the bridge, and a section of the road
First sealane
First sealane
Picture 014 (Large)
Picture 014 (Large)
Pilot and Co-Pilot of first seaplane
Pilot and Co-Pilot of first seaplane
Picture 018 (Large)
Picture 018 (Large)
Water taxi
Water taxi
Water taxi
Water taxi
Water taxi
Water taxi
Picture 055 (Large)
Picture 055 (Large)

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 9:47 am 
Austin wrote:
CORRECTION There is a picture titled "SPA President". I am NOT the WSPA president. Can you change it to WSPA representative. thanks, austin BEFA Treasurer WSPA Member
Correction complete. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
touron

touron
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 10:05 am 
What a great collaborative effort! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif So how cold was the water?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 10:06 am 
To every one involved. I have to say, with the Washington Seaplane Pilots Association and having so many people hike in..this turned into a really fun day! For that...i have to give everyone a big THANK YOU! to everyone who helped out.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential