Forum Index > Food & Grub > Breakfast suggestions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
T Mary

T Mary
PostWed Jul 08, 2009 3:47 pm 
PakitGourmet sells smoothie mixes that I like a lot, lots of protein and easy to fix. I shake one up in a Nalgene bottle for a simple breakfast and maybe snack a little on some dried fruit or granola.

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 08, 2009 3:49 pm 
I like their smoothie mixes as well up.gif I came up with an orange one for my after gym drink smile.gif http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/creamsicle-protein-smoothie

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostWed Jul 08, 2009 6:38 pm 
Grape-nuts + water + sugar. The sugar in a little plastic honey squeeze bottle is convenient.

Trail snail

Trail snail
PostMon Jul 13, 2009 7:40 pm 
Breakfast idea's
I use Grape nuts too, but also add instant milk. My other favorite it bulgur wheat, a little instant milk, chopped nuts, and brown sugar all in a bag, add hot water and let it sit while I pack up the tent and all. SAR BAR has other bulger wheat idea's on her website that are tasty.

cweston

cweston
PostTue Jul 14, 2009 4:56 pm 
Here are a couple easy no-cook breakfasts we did on a recent trip that went over well: Granola + dried blueberries + powdered milk in a freezer bag (just add water) For the first morning (cause they're heavy): apples + individual peanutbutter bowls + dried cranberry trail mix sprinkled into the PB. A little messy/tricky to eat (I had the best luck cutting the apple into small slices and dipping), but very tasty. Sarbar--I don't know if you saw my mention of this on the Backpacker forums, but your rice pudding (I used dried cherries instead of golden raisins) was a huge hit dessert, and it fed four (2 of them 17-year-old boys, no less) just fine.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 14, 2009 7:18 pm 
cweston wrote:
For the first morning (cause they're heavy): apples + individual peanutbutter bowls + dried cranberry trail mix sprinkled into the PB. A little messy/tricky to eat (I had the best luck cutting the apple into small slices and dipping), but very tasty.
That sounds like a good one! Heck, that would be worth carrying the bags of precut apple slices smile.gif

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostTue Jul 14, 2009 11:40 pm 
Good thread - I've also been getting pretty tired of the usual morning fare on backpacks. Oatmeal and Clif Luna Bars only satisfy the palate so many times. I might have to try the breakfast potatoes. Sounds quite good. hungry.gif I'll second the Starbucks instant Via as a good backcountry mocha maker with some hot chocolate added in. A little strong, but just the perk you sometimes need for an alpine start! agree.gif lol.gif

ldyblade

ldyblade
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 8:48 pm 
I've been making mashed potatoes and peppered country gravy for breakfast. Boil the water needed for both the gravy (I half the recipe as that equals one cup) and potatoes. Measure out the one cup of water and pour the rest in with the potatoes in a freezer bag. Pour the one cup water back into the pot with the gravy mix and simmer & stir until thickened. It is suprisingly quick and very yummy, but I am thinking of making biscuits ( or buy them at KFC) and taking those. Biscuits and gravy!! Doesn't matter if they get banged up, they will taste awesome!! And you can find the gravy mix in any grocery story with the powdered sauces, just read the instructions and make sure it is a water based mix.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Jul 26, 2009 8:51 pm 
Ldy, next time we get together....I'll make ya pan biscuits! Way easy with little cleanup (you fry them in a non stick lid). So good!

tapper.blue

tapper.blue
PostFri Jul 31, 2009 7:43 am 
happy friday (bkfast tips!)
hey, i found this both interesting and slightly helpful.. thought id add to the convo.
Quote:
10 Tasty, Easy and Healthy Breakfast Ideas Every Friday is Health Tip Day at Zen Habits. You get up in the morning, you rush to get ready for work, you rush out the door without a breakfast. Perhaps you grab a bagel and cream cheese, perhaps a muffin, perhaps an Egg McMuffin. If you’re lucky, you get a pastry, a hearty breakfast of pancakes and sausage and eggs, or an English fry-up. Unfortunately, when it comes to being healthy, none of these options is a great way to start your day. Several readers asked about healthy breakfast ideas, and in truth, it’s a dilemma that many of us face each day. Either we don’t have time for breakfast, or we don’t have many healthy options. The first problem is a problem, because it means that you start the day with an empty stomach. That means that by the time you are getting into the swing of work, your blood-sugar levels are dangerously low. The result: you need an instant sugar fix, which usually means a donut or pastry or some other unhealthy choice. The second problem is also a real problem, because traditional breakfasts don’t usually come in healthy flavors. Here are the options that most people think of as breakfast: * Too sugary or carb-filled. Pancakes, waffles, toast, donuts, pastries, scones, bagels, pies, sugar cereals, breakfast bars, muffins (which, let’s face it, are usually just cake). I’m not anti-carb, but the problem with many breakfasts is that they are low in fat and protein, and nothing but empty carb calories. This starts your day with a high blood-sugar level, which your body will quickly adjust for and drop, and you’ll be on a roller-coaster blood-sugar ride all day. * Too fatty. Fried eggs, sausages, bacon, cream cheese on your bagels, cheesy omelets, Egg McMuffins, Sausage McMuffins, hash browns, anything English or Scottish. What does that leave us with? Actually, there are a lot of options. The 10 below are just a few ideas, but I’m sure you can think of many more. Look for protein without too much saturated fat. Look for whole-grain carbs. Look for low-fat dairy or soy options. Look for fiber and nutrients. But how do you find the time? You make the time. Get up 15 minutes earlier. Pack something to eat on the road or when you first get to work. Prepare it the night before if necessary. I recommend the first option — waking a little earlier — as it’s nice to be able to have a nice cup of tea or coffee with your breakfast, relaxing before the rush of the day starts. Oatmeal, flaxseed, blueberries & almonds. To me, this is the perfect breakfast. Steel-cut oatmeal is probably the healthier choice, but if you are in a hurry, the instant kind will do fine (it doesn’t have as much fiber, but the other ingredients make up for that). After microwaving the oatmeal, add ground flaxseed, frozen blueberries, sliced almonds. You can add a little cinnamon and honey (not a lot) if you’re using the non-instant oatmeal. That’s four power foods, full of fiber and nutrients and protein and good fats, with only a couple of minutes of prep time. And very tasty! Kashi Golean Crunch. Actually, any whole-grain, high-fiber cereal is a good choice, but I mention this particular one because it’s a favorite of mine. It has a high amount of protein and fiber, low sugar. Add low-fat milk or soy milk (which has 1/3 the saturated fat of 1% milk), perhaps some berries if you like. Scrambled tofu. Healthier than scrambled eggs. Add some onions, green peppers or other veggies, some light soy sauce or tamari, maybe some garlic powder, and black pepper, stir-fry with a little olive oil. Eat with whole-grain toast. Fast and delicious. Fresh berries, yogurt, granola. Get low-fat yogurt (not non-fat, as it often has too much sugar) or soy yogurt, cut up some berries or other fruits, add some healthy cereal. I actually use the Kashi Golean Crunch instead of granola, as many brands of granola have way too much fat and/or sugar. Grapefruit with whole-wheat toast & almond butter. Add a little sugar on top of the grapefruit, and it’s actually pretty good. The almond butter is healthier than peanut-butter, with lots of good protein to fill you up. Fresh fruit salad. Cut up some apples, melons, berries, oranges, pears, bananas, grapes … any or all or whatever your favorite fruits are. Add a little bit of lime or lemon juice. Perfect. Protein shake with extras. I use soy protein powder, but whey works well too. Blend up with low-fat milk or soy milk, some frozen blueberries, and perhaps some almond butter or oatmeal. That may sound weird, but it’s actually pretty good, and pretty filling. A little ground flax seed works well too. Eggs with peppers. I’m not a fan of eggs, but many people love them. Egg whites are healthier than whole eggs. Scramble with a little olive oil, red and green bell peppers, maybe broccoli, onions, black pepper. Goes well with whole-wheat toast. Cottage cheese and fruit. Get low-fat cottage cheese. Add any kind of fruit. Apples, citrus, berries. Gibb’s muffins & jam. While most muffins you buy at a coffee shop or grocery store are just empty carbs with lots of fat (basically, cake), this is a delicious recipe with lots of fiber and nutrition. (Note: the recipe in the link doesn’t mention it, but it’s actually a recipe from Simplify Your Life by Elaine St. James — it’s her husband Gibbs’ recipe). Bake them the night before, and they’re perfect in the morning (and for days to come). A little honey or jam makes them perfect. If you liked this article, follow the link to the page http://zenhabits.net/2007/09/10-tasty-easy-and-healthy-breakfast-ideas/ smile.gif
PEACE n LOVE- tapperblue from lord of the ring swords in eagan.

There is no way to peace, peace is the way.” ~~A. J. Muste
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jul 31, 2009 7:44 am 
The mention almond butter, that stuff is fantastic smile.gif

tapper.blue

tapper.blue
PostFri Jul 31, 2009 7:48 am 
anything almong is AMAZINGly yummy!!!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jul 31, 2009 7:50 am 
My favorite thing to take with me hiking is the Maple Almond Butter packets by Justins Nut Butters...so good! On a roll for breakfast I am good to go.

tapper.blue

tapper.blue
PostFri Jul 31, 2009 8:03 am 
another friday tip ;)
staying healthy is one thing but if you do wanna lose weight... Eat 5 to 6 Small Meals a Day Eat Live Foods, Avoid Processed foods Replace Sugar Laden Drinks with Fresh Fruit 3 tips for friday from blogger ( http://www.formerfatguyblog.com/2008/02/01/3-weight-loss-tips-6.html ) THIS ONE IS THE HARDEST I THINK TO ABIDE BY IN AMERICA, agree? (or which one do you think...)
Quote:
Eat Live Foods, Avoid Processed foods Live foods are those that will rot and go bad. Food is meant to go bad. When shopping, stick to the outer edges of the grocery store where fresh produce is kept and avoide the inner isles where all the dead boxed and canned “stuff” is. Live foods support life. Live food’s provide enzymes for healthy cells. *** Eat 5 to 6 Small Meals a Day Eat a breakfast as soon as you get up and then every 3 or so hours after that. A sample 6 meal day would include breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and small starch free evening snack. Smaller more frequent meals are easier to digest, help you use nutrients better and most importantly, help control blood sugar levels. Controlling blood sugar levels is the key to controlling hunger, fatigue and cravings. *** Replace Sugar Laden Drinks with Fresh Fruit When you’d normally reach for some sort of sugary beverage, instead have some fresh fruit. Fruits low on the glycemic index include apples, oranges and all berries. Fruits provide a natural way to increase fiber and nutrients while making a good replacement choice for non-nutritional sugary beverages.
PEACE n LOVE, tapper *** “Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away.” Robert Fulghum There is no way to peace, peace is the way.” ~~A. J. Muste quote from Nissan Titan Accessoriescheap motorcycle helmets

tapper.blue

tapper.blue
PostFri Jul 31, 2009 8:05 am 
wherE?
hey sarbar... where can i get Maple Almond Butter packets?? anywhere. sounds like something i would want everyday and in my desk at work just in case smile.gif