Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rogue RiverF
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nitpacker

nitpacker
PostSat Jun 20, 2009 8:59 pm 
This was my first time on this marvelous trail that follows the Rogue from the Graves trailhead to the historic Rogue River Ranch. My son and I had planned to do the entire 40 miles, however an injury my son incurred when jumping from river rock to rock precluded this. I cannot say, I was disappointed as this trail is awful hard on the feet. The trail mostly stays high above the river with consistent views down to it. There are many camping options including sandy boat camps along the river. The terrain is rugged and the trail had a steep dropoff for much of its lenght. There were a few sketchy areas where one had to scramble on exposed rocks in recent washouts. This trail is not for one who does not like heights. The trail is consistently up and down and has frequent easy stream crossings. There is abundant wildlife including deer, wild turkeys, snakes and signs of bears. I really enjoyed the openness and wildness of the views and found it to be enjoyable along its entire lenght.This is primarily a early season hike due to excessive summer tempetures.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Jun 20, 2009 9:10 pm 
thanks... where is this place? the only Rogue river i know is in oregon. if it is, i'll pass it on to my daughter who lives there. sorry about your son's injury....jumping rock to rock can be slick and dangerous. ouch. vertigo.....thanks for the tip!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 8:52 am 
Thanks for the report. I just read an article on this hike in USA Today. The article was on the hut-to-hut outfitter for hiking the river. I'm one of the aging baby-boomers that they mention. smile.gif I've done hut-to-hut in New Zealand and was curious to know more about it. I'm glad to hear about it from someone here on the board who has actually hiked part of it. May seems to be a good time to do it before it gets hot.

nitpacker

nitpacker
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 9:31 am 
The route starts near Merlin Oregon. There are services there that will drop your car off at the trail end. Its a little exspensive but well worth it. I will do this trail again next April or May.

nitpacker

nitpacker
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 9:33 am 
Marta there are a lot of options on this trail. One can have a outfitter supported hike or just rough it and carry all your gear. The trail can be hot and Southern Oregon shade is not as dense as we have in Washington.