Forum Index > Trip Reports > North Fork Sauk, 6.21.2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 8:13 pm 
With the dreary forecast and still feeling tired I opted for another flat forest hike, this time with Yumi along for the trip. As a side quest we decided to find a wild ginger flower, which neither of us had seen. Unfortunately we didn't bother to research where exactly to find them and what they look like before hand! Despite a helpful trail-register log from Quark (Did you find Jimmy?) we proceeded to call every weird looking little flower a wild ginger simply because we didn't know what it was. In the end we neither saw nor smelled one. The road in is in good shape aside from some potholes and the gaping chasm near the fork for Sloan creek campground. At the turn off from the Mountain loop a sign announces a road closure from June 22 - July 3rd for repairs! Along with the repair theme a lot of recent work has been done along the trail. A large group was camped out at Sloan creek as we walked through. This was at first puzzling since no vehicle was seen anywhere. We assume it was the trail maintenance crew and their van was parked elsewhere. Lots of freshly cut logs and not a single blow down all the way to Red creek, our turn around point. The creek was really raging and there didn't appear to be any easy log to cross. I believe we did spot the new log which is still standing vertically and rooted to the ground. One large snag was cleared of brush and had a red ribbon tied around it. Not far away on a large tree a metal wire loop was tied, I assume to drag the felled log. I wished this was already in place since I'd hoped to reach the shelter further up the trail. Despite no wild ginger findings it was a nice trip. The sun came in and out of the clouds, rain came on and off, but everything was consistently green and pleasant. Click here for the photos. More macro fun too. I'm finding I'll need to invest in some kind of macro tripod to get the depth I need for some of these tiny objects. I just cant hold the camera steady enough.
Road washout
Road washout
Puff balls
Puff balls
Little flowers
Little flowers
Giant skunk cabbage
Giant skunk cabbage
Fern
Fern
Trail
Trail
Tiny flower
Tiny flower
Rain drops
Rain drops
Giant trees
Giant trees
Green hollow
Green hollow
Closed columbine
Closed columbine
Trail math
Trail math
Red creek
Red creek
Droplet
Droplet
Weird flower
Weird flower
Weirder flower
Weirder flower
Drop
Drop
Curled leaf
Curled leaf

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 8:16 pm 
Really nice photos! Thanks! up.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 8:29 pm 
I would have loved to join you guys - that trail is chock flippin' full of wild ginger! a big patch about 3 feet from the trailhead sign. Finally, a picture of Red Creek! Looks like I'd definately wuss out on a crossing of that right now...... That wierd flower is fringe cup. Wierder flower - don't know. (I love signing trailhead registers! I can say with relative certainty that Jimmy Hoffa is not on the N Fk Sauk trail this side of Red Creek).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 8:40 pm 
All of your photo's are great! up.gif up.gif But what jumped out and smacked me around is how fast the washout is getting taken over by vegetation. eek.gif This was May 11th
Washout on fs 49
Washout on fs 49

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Toni

Toni
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 9:06 pm 
wild ginger on trail up to Necklace Valley.....6-13-09
wild ginger on trail up to Necklace Valley.....6-13-09
wild ginger on trail to Necklace Valley
wild ginger on trail to Necklace Valley
These wild ginger flowers were hiding under some brush on trail up to Necklace Valley, 6-13-09. a little blurry....

There is no Planet B
RichP

RichP
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 9:30 pm 
For all of you old growth forest lovers, this is a must do trail.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 9:49 pm 
Bad Dog wrote:
Thanks for the information about the trail-I was wondering if the bad dogs could have got across and I assume from your report that the answer is "no" since you didn't chance it. Great photos as always.
I wimped out on this one and water crossings dont bother me much. It was flowing very fast and deep. It looks like before long there will be a foot log across the creek though! They seem to have the tree marked and stakes flagged on both sides of the creek marked "foot log".

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jun 22, 2009 8:17 am 
The thing about wild ginger is that you can't see the flower unless you are on your hands and knees and looking under the leaves. Here are some pics of the flower, and of the leaves, which are similar to false lilliy of the valley leaves (I have one pic of them next to each other so you can see the difference).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
BPLlama

BPLlama
PostMon Jun 22, 2009 11:16 am 
I've called names before but this is first rant.gif
Giant skunk cabbage
Giant skunk cabbage
We didn't see no wild ginger...we should have know to go on hands and knees Quarky-style to search for such obscure cyclops-alien flower. Man! My neck hurts from looking for em both in-and out so hard! Or was it because it was all hanging down all over the place on the ride back home zzz.gif snoring? Didn't find Jimmy either but Dan Cooper said Hi. He didn't give us any change though that cheap ba$tard....
permitted here
permitted here
green tunnel
green tunnel
old growthed
old growthed

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jun 22, 2009 11:51 am 
BPLlama wrote:
Giant skunk cabbage
Giant skunk cabbage
Hey, look at the giant skunk cabbage on the trail! embarassedlaugh.gif

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Jun 22, 2009 12:50 pm 
BPLlama wrote:
Giant skunk cabbage
Giant skunk cabbage
You're right, that was uncalled for. You're not giant. Remember this one though? wink.gif

BPLlama

BPLlama
PostMon Jun 22, 2009 1:30 pm 
doh.gif I forgot about that one embarassedlaugh.gif &&& I rather be a GIANT skunk then just any ol' skunk if I were a skunk footmouth.gif