Forum Index > Trip Reports > In search of Noble Knob-the backway
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Jun 18, 2009 4:25 pm 
I had in my hand a print out of one of slugman’s reports and was going to find the way up to this trail head since corral pass is still closed. I followed the directions FS road 70, 72, 7222, but there were a couple patches of snow I didn’t want to cross w/my truck.
Noble Knob 006
Noble Knob 006
Still snow on the road 6-18-09
Still snow on the road 6-18-09
I probably would have if I was not solo. But I parked and headed up the road not sure how much further it was to the TH. It was a great morning for hiking 50 degrees and sun trying to come out. Flowers are just starting which means NO bugs yet.
Noble Knob 017
Noble Knob 017
Pretty flower in bloom
Pretty flower in bloom
Noble Knob 028
Noble Knob 028
Not sure what this is?
Not sure what this is?
Noble Knob 023
Noble Knob 023
Noble Knob 024
Noble Knob 024
Noble Knob 036
Noble Knob 036
Somebody left their saw
Somebody left their saw
I didn’t see any signs of life except one bunny crossing the road and a few chipmunks.
Another guy posing
Another guy posing
Looked like a marmot for a moment, but way too small..
Looked like a marmot for a moment, but way too small..
Cute guy posing for me
Cute guy posing for me
There were 3 patches of snow that were still pretty steep on the road. I figure a week maybe two they will be gone. I explored around for an hour or so, hiking and taking pictures along the way. The road looked like it went on forever in and out of the trees. I was just about to turn around and find it another time to finish this one. I took one last shot and then looked to my right and BAM there was a TH sign!
I think this was the trail head to back way to Noble knob
I think this was the trail head to back way to Noble knob
Noble Knob 050
Noble Knob 050
Noble Knob 047
Noble Knob 047
Noble Knob 051
Noble Knob 051
The light was just right...
The light was just right...
What are the odds! It didn’t say any names or numbers but I guessed it was the right one. I took out slugman’s directions and it said the trail was steep going up.. there were a few blow downs and little bits of snow, but nothing too bad for a while then a huge fat grouse or something that looked like one scared the hell out of me! I screamed, like I did when I saw a rattle snake, it freaked me out! I hope I don’t scream when I see a bear! Turned around at hairy spot and figured views were limited anyway. I would save it for another day when flowers were popping and snow was completely gone.
Not so safe anymore
Not so safe anymore
This is where I turned around
This is where I turned around
On the way down the road views were getting better, sun was out and I was smiling and happy as all get out… I was dreaming of Sunrise opening tomorrow.
Noble Knob 056
Noble Knob 056
Noble Knob 058
Noble Knob 058
Noble Knob 059
Noble Knob 059
Walking down FS RD 7220
Walking down FS RD 7220
Views from FS Road 7220
Views from FS Road 7220
Noble Knob 079
Noble Knob 079
That’s what I heard from the ranger station and Silver Creek, I wanted to make sure so I stopped at the Sunrise station today and the guy said July 3rd! The website says June 26th… That is three different dates…Oh well, soon enough.. Until then Glacier Basin & Summerland are calling me. I did Tiger #3 yesterday, so today makes hike #49. Even thoe I didn’t really get anywhere..it still counts it was still miles. I would guess 4 or so.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Jun 18, 2009 4:42 pm 
I love logging roads. You can walk along and look at the views and not have to worry about where you put your feet.
Noble Knob 047
Noble Knob 047
Walking down FS RD 7220
Walking down FS RD 7220
I think you got the best part of it, jan. The trails to Noble Knob aren't as interesting as the roads to the trailheads, IMHO. smile.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostThu Jun 18, 2009 5:34 pm 
It is a beautiful trail when you get there. It starts out right away with a great view of Rainier less than 1/2 mile in plus wildflowers galore (after the snow melt). It looks like it was still a pretty trip!

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostThu Jun 18, 2009 7:17 pm 
Highwalker's Daughter wrote:
It is a beautiful trail when you get there. It starts out right away with a great view of Rainier less than 1/2 mile in plus wildflowers galore (after the snow melt). It looks like it was still a pretty trip!
ditto.gif Check out this report: Noble Knob 2005 Fabulous trip!!!! s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Jun 18, 2009 8:35 pm 
And don't forget this Trip Report from a little over a year ago.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostThu Jun 18, 2009 9:09 pm 
Noble Knob - 2
More Coyotebell wrote:
And don't forget this Trip Report from a little over a year ago.
O.K. - and there is THIS trip report from 2006! winksmile.gif Noble Knob June 25, 2006 agree.gif s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Jun 20, 2009 9:23 pm 
i am possibly doing NK July 25. for sure the snow will be gone! when i get spooked by a grouse or worst, a bee, i worry that i may be on a precarious section and cripes, i can fall down a steep slope. be careful out there!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Flora
Enjoying the Sun!

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 1:09 pm 
The purple flower is Oregon Anemone, or windflower. Your mountains are still looking pretty frigid. Yesterday I flushed a grouse hen who proceeded to do the wounded chicken act for me to draw me away from her younglings. Yes, grouse can get the heart pumping with their wild antics. The views from the said trail are superb if you catch the weather just right. I actually prefer Norse Peak though...longer and harder but well worth the effort if with a five volcano view on top if the weather is clear.

Flora