Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gilbert Mtn--June 16 & 17 2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bob C

Bob C
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 11:04 am 
Dave and I left Stanwood at 9:00 AM Tuesday the 16th for our climb of Gilbert Mtn. We had lunch at the Cinnamon Twisp and were on the North Creek Trail 413 at about 2:10 PM. The trail crosses North Creek at about 2 miles and at this time of year the only option is to wade the creek. We had wet feet the rest of the trip. We encountered broken snow and blow-downs just before North Lake although the trail was not difficult to pick up. We bypassed North Lake and headed to the mine site described in 75 Scrambles. By now there were no breaks in the snow. We climbed to the West of the mines and found a bivouac site at about 6800 feet. We had camp set up by 7:30 PM. On Wednesday we woke to fog and some intermittent light rain. By 9:00 AM, however, the skies lightened up and we headed for the summit. From our camp we ascended a snow field to the pass just north of Point 7483 and then climbed a steep gully to the top of 7483. From there we descended to the pass between Points 7483 and 7414 and then followed the ridge (avoid droppping below the ridge top) to the final scramble up Gilbert. We made the summit at 1:00 PM, signed the register (first entry since Summer of ’08), had lunch, and headed back to camp. Although the weather was decent, the low clouds obscured the expansive views we had hoped for. We got back to our bivi site at about 3:45 and were on the trail to the car a little after 4:00. We were having dinner at the Twisp River Brewery 8:15.
Starting Out
Starting Out
Snow Begins
Snow Begins
North Lake
North Lake
Snow Field
Snow Field
Bivouac Site
Bivouac Site
On the Ridge
On the Ridge
Low Clouds & fog
Low Clouds & fog
Final Scramble
Final Scramble
Signing the Register
Signing the Register
Dave at the Summit
Dave at the Summit

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 11:34 am 
up.gif Nice, I plan on visiting that peak as part of my "Sawtooth experience", good to see a fresh TR on it. Thanks.

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message