Forum Index > Gear Talk > solar battery charger
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 9:30 pm 
peeps here have tried a few. i've watched this technology develop for years now, and it's getting there. anyone tried this one? seems to be the most advanced and akin to UL. http://www.gofastandlight.com/Powerfilm-Lightweight-Folding-Solar-Charger-for-USB-and-AA/productinfo/PO-PWRFILMUSB/

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hannibal

hannibal
PostSat Jun 27, 2009 7:08 pm 
Luc wrote:
peeps here have tried a few. i've watched this technology develop for years now, and it's getting there. anyone tried this one? seems to be the most advanced and akin to UL. http://www.gofastandlight.com/Powerfilm-Lightweight-Folding-Solar-Charger-for-USB-and-AA/productinfo/PO-PWRFILMUSB/
I've used one that looks similar to that one its made by Brunton. Actually It works much better than I expected to. I can either charge or run most of my electronics directly off the solar cell. Even works well on cloudy days...the more sun the better of course, but it will work. The smaller 6W cell (Only 7oz) works fine for charging my cell phone, satellite radio and AA batteries. Its not heavy or bulky so I carry it all the time. Its nice knowing that if the camera battery dies I can getting it going again in a few hours. In my book its worth the extra 7oz of weight.
I was so impressed with the smaller Brunton i6 that I decided to upgrade to the much larger Brunton Solaris 26 (26 watts) It will actually power most laptops directly from the sun. The only down side I can see is the price....$299.00
For $17.00 more you could buy a Brunton Solaris USB(Only 5oz) ...it has more power than the one you are looking at. 3 watts @ (5.5 volts) so you can charge anything with a USB connector. $84.00 Brunton Solaris USB: http://www.moontrail.com/brunton-solaris-usb-3.php They also make a battery charger that has a USB connector so you can charge AA or AAA batteries.
Brunton Solo BattPack

MountainAmoeba

MountainAmoeba
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 8:27 am 
Homebrewed
In my preparation for a two week High Sierras trek later this summer, I just finished making one of these: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-solar-iPodiPhone-charger-aka-Might/ Weighs about 5 1/4 oz, holds enough charge to juice up my ipod touch 1.5 times. Can be charged up via the wall, or the tethered solar panel that can stick to the top of my pack on sunny days. It's still pretty new, so I have yet to try it out with all my other USB gadgets (gps, etc). Seems to juice up OK in direct sun - about a day and a half to charge it to full. Could be improved with a larger solar panel. Still working on a mod that will allow me to charge up my canon batteries. Not really saving a whole heap of money on building it myself (parts cost close to 70$), but the geek cred is worth it. Also planning on changing the case to something cooler/lighter than an Altoids tin.

Sennin

Sennin
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 9:41 am 
Re: Homebrewed
MountainAmoeba wrote:
In my preparation for a two week High Sierras trek later this summer, I just finished making one of these: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-solar-iPodiPhone-charger-aka-Might/ Weighs about 5 1/4 oz, holds enough charge to juice up my ipod touch 1.5 times. Can be charged up via the wall, or the tethered solar panel that can stick to the top of my pack on sunny days. It's still pretty new, so I have yet to try it out with all my other USB gadgets (gps, etc). Seems to juice up OK in direct sun - about a day and a half to charge it to full. Could be improved with a larger solar panel. Still working on a mod that will allow me to charge up my canon batteries. Not really saving a whole heap of money on building it myself (parts cost close to 70$), but the geek cred is worth it. Also planning on changing the case to something cooler/lighter than an Altoids tin.
Wait a second....what's cooler than an Altoids tin???? tongue.gif Very nice! I want one!

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostWed Jul 08, 2009 2:18 pm 
MightyMintyBoost
MountainAmoeba Thanks for the reference to the MightyMintyBoost. I've been pondering the best way to make a generic USB power source for hiking gadgets. This little doodad will let me do the necessary DC to DC voltage step up to the 5V required by USB. cool.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 08, 2009 3:03 pm 
I'm going to pick up one of those Brunton 52's. Gotta keep that refrigerator freezer in the Jeep happy!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Luc

Luc
PostWed Jul 08, 2009 3:05 pm 
"Backpacker" joe my arse!

GNGSTR
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 08, 2009 4:01 pm 
Hey bubba. 7300'! I are a backpacker! hockeygrin.gif moon.gif
Bozo resting at Sunrise Lake
Bozo resting at Sunrise Lake

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Luc

Luc
PostWed Jul 08, 2009 4:10 pm 
where's the backpack? prod.gif

GNGSTR
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 08, 2009 11:14 pm 
Luc wrote:
where's the backpack? prod.gif
Laying on the bloody ground Jose. How else would I have gotten there? Helicopter? Ya I wish I could afford that. moon.gif

hannibal

hannibal
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 9:34 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I'm going to pick up one of those Brunton 52's. Gotta keep that refrigerator freezer in the Jeep happy!
If your freezer is an ARB or Engel it should run on the 26W solar cell. The 52W would be better, but it will work. You can also join up to 3 Brunton 26W panels together for extra output (78W). I may add one more in future to keep the batteries happy when car camping. Check the link below for info on running your freezer on a 26W cell. Using 12v solar to power Engel freezer
More on 12v Brunton panels