Forum Index > Food & Grub > what is the duralite DX?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 10:16 pm 
http://www.rei.com/product/783955 some type of coating on the aluminum? coming in at only 2.1oz over the Ti skillet..... the ti skillets have had such bad reviews for practical use because of heat conductivity is so fast and local. i wonder how this DX stuff performs compared to the ti stuff... anyone tried it?

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 10:49 pm 
I guess its the new MSR non stick coating. I have the old blacklight stuff, it works ok, but none of this cookware is good with high heat, like campfires. Ti pots and pans are pretty fragile, but if you want to boil a liter of water fast, with a small stove, its the golden fleece. Aluminum is more durable, but heavier. I have both. I really think you only need a non stick coating on a frying pan anyways, not a pot. Get a real kitchen skillet if you want good heat conductivity, nothing thin is worth hauling unless you only want to warm stuff in it. I torched through a couple of those REI lightweight non stick coated skillets with the fold out handles, using camp stoves and campfires, I think they lasted about a week each. Thick is heavier, but it works. I hate burnt sticky eggs.

Luc

Luc
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 11:51 pm 
yeah the reason i ask is because i'm looking for a good light skillet for bakeover stuff and skillet bake stuff. so much bad reviews on the ti stuff. i hate burnt foods too. wondering if this dura stuff is better - it itsn't ti. and not much heavier.

GNGSTR
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jun 22, 2009 7:19 am 
The Flex pans are NICE. You get lightweight with a good heat dispersing. It is their new non stick surface btw, the Flex Skillet only came out this year. Ti=not a good idea for fry pans or skillets. With any skillet though a wider flame is better, a Pocket Rocket or similar style stove is not your best option, as the flame is a red hot spike in one area. When I use fry pans I use a MSR WindPro canister stove for a more controlled flame.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostMon Jun 22, 2009 7:59 pm 
well
For skillets/frying, I bought a fifteen dollar coated fry pan at the Fred Meyer and cut off the handle. It weighs more (10 oz) but is big enough to fry things like fish without cutting them in half. Plus, I get to make pancakes that actually get brown all over, and are bigger than three inches around. Oh yeah, I use my MSR pot grabber to pick it up.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Jul 14, 2009 7:57 pm 
MY GOD....2. whatever ounces heavier....are ya crazy....that is like 1/2 of a small fuel canister that will feed you for 2 full days.... that is just crazy talk. agree.gif

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed Jul 15, 2009 4:10 am 
duralite pans are first hard-anodized, then given a nonstick coating. the nonstick bonds to the anodized surface better than other nonstick pans, where the coating is bonded to bare aluminum. gsi nonstick hard anodized pans are made the same way.