?

Knows literally nothing
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostFri Jun 26, 2009 12:52 pm 
Lack of sleep (and general laziness) kept me home from this one, and I can't really say I'm devastated to have missed it after seeing what lovely weather you had. Wouldn't have minded some brownies though. hmmm.gif

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Jun 26, 2009 1:20 pm 
Thanks for writing up the TR, GeoTom! Looks like the true hardcore TNAB'ers turned out for this one. Less than stellar weather but you got it done. Congrats. up.gif Sorry I didn't make it (BUT I DID HAVE AN EXCUSED ABSENCE AHEAD OF TIME!! embarassedlaugh.gif ).

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 26, 2009 1:49 pm 
Too bad you guys got a late start and missed the sun and panos wink.gif . The hiking conditions were actually pretty good as the usual problems here are heat, bugs and loose dirt. I was beginning to feel it would be a solo hike and was getting lonely. A bit more snow than expected but back to the cars before dark. Great exercise in any event.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Jun 26, 2009 1:51 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Too bad you guys got a late start and missed the sun and panos
Rackle-frackin' Pre-NABbers. wink.gif Always showing up early and hogging all the good weather and views. hockeygrin.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostFri Jun 26, 2009 2:22 pm 
Snoqualmie
Gosh - those summit views look about the same as ours did a few weeks ago. I don't believe there ARE views from that summit - don't see no stinkin' proof of any!!! shakehead.gif winksmile.gif s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Jun 26, 2009 2:25 pm 
SD, there were a couple last year at TNAB Snoqualmie Mtn.
Rainier looking mighty fine
Rainier looking mighty fine
Spectacular summit sunset
Spectacular summit sunset
Soft golden evening light
Soft golden evening light
I can't vouch for any in 2009 though! lol.gif

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostFri Jun 26, 2009 2:44 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
SD, there were a couple last year at TNAB Snoqualmie Mtn. I can't vouch for any in 2009 though! lol.gif
That's a lie - I know it is. You photo-shopped those - or they probably are from Mt. Si. embarassedlaugh.gif s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jun 26, 2009 2:46 pm 
Nice work. Not sure I could do that sort of door-to-door time these days. FYI, this time of year, it can be quite nice on the descent to head left soon after dropping down from the summit (the right spot is pretty obvious, as most others would involve a cliff drop or otherwise impractical travel), do a descending snow traverse (with a little non-snow here and there) over to that next rib over to the east at the other side of the basin, and follow that down to the saddle between Snoqualmie and Cave Ridge, and then drop to the basin floor, follow the stream down and re-join the up-trail just above the waterfall. If you're comfortable on snow and off-trail, it's easier walking, pretty. and a nice addition of variety, and you stop hearing highway noise for a wonderful but short while as you get to the lower parts of the basin. Or you can descend the ball-bearing ridge and perhaps slip and bang your butt biggrin.gif .

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostFri Jun 26, 2009 3:46 pm 
All TNABers that didn't show up are now on detention

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostFri Jun 26, 2009 3:48 pm 
Well, shoot. I wish I'd heard of that alternate descent before today. I'd have at least tried to talk to others into it. I know Erik and I were looking down into the basin from the ridge longingly...

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostFri Jun 26, 2009 3:55 pm 
That basin looked way better for travel. I couldn't see if it would take us in the right direction eventually or not due to the spectacular visibility we were enjoying.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 26, 2009 3:59 pm 
I considered that descent. In previous years we descended that way usually accessing the basin by a standing glissade. This year there was only a narrow band of snow on top with a fairly long band of loose rock before you reach the basin below which was still snow covered.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jun 26, 2009 6:05 pm 
Yeah, I've done it when after the first strip of snow (which we traversed cautiously - no standing glissade in that condition), you had to spend a little time crossing annoying talus before getting on snow (the big dog didn't like it that time - talus of that size gave him trouble), then a little more non-snow (but not annoying) then a little more snow down a gully feature, before getting onto what I'll call the "east rib" and we still thought it was worth it, in part for variety and in part to avoid the ball bearings and have a little less sustained steepness. But for folks who are intrigued by the notion, the period of worthiness does end as the snow melts, and if, in conditons that MC describes as having seen yesterday, you try to drop too quickly in the basin there are unsavory slopes and/or cliffs that you'll likely encounter. The key is think "descending traverse to that far rib." I've never been there early enough to simply glissade the basin directly to the bottom. It has always been a pre-July 4 endeavor for us, but never earlier than late June (before then is clearly ski season!!). Yeah, it took a little nudging of my partners the first time we tried it

gone

gone
PostFri Jun 26, 2009 9:02 pm 
Nice report and pics GeoTom, and good work TNAB! up.gif My scaredy cat status probably falls short of an excused absence, so I'll accept my detention and try mightily to make it up next Thursday! Btw, I dropped by the Pour House around 11PM, thinking it'd be a late one, and learned that your small group had already come and gone. Was glad to learn you were all safe, but sorry to have missed you. Catch you next week!