Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pyoo-pyoo, Pugh (27 Jun 09)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
braincloud
Summit Seeker

braincloud
Summit Seeker
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 1:17 am 
Stardate: 2706 Captains Log: I have just landed on an uncharted planet. Low fuel reserves of my Ruby-class exploration craft forced my landing in a heavily wooded area. Beep. Beep. Analysis of the atmosphere shows 78% NitroGen, 21% OxyGen, and trace amounts of other gases. More than hospitable to sustain my Sarcastican lungs. Excellent. My SatCom seems to have lost signal in the densely wooded surroundings. I must seek a higher vantage point, clear of flora, so that I may send a signal back to Sarcastica and make my report. Pssssssssssh. Upon exiting my craft, I am contacted by teems of indigenous lifeforms. I think they are trying to communicate. Apparently, they must insert their tiny proboscis through my dermal layer and sample my blood. No time for tests, but I assume they analyze my DNA in order to form a language bridge betwixt us. Their DNA analysis causes itchy red bumps. I don’t like it. I have since concluded that these lifeforms are, in fact, not trying to communicate, but are instead assailing me, much like our Sarcastican Mowskeets. Rampant and precise blasts from my ZapRay send many to their doom, but they are unrelenting. Pyoo-pyoo-pyoo! My only course of action is to flee in the hopes I may lose them. I look around and find a path worn through the forest. This is a sure sign that larger lifeforms inhabit this planet. Donning my dorsal pack, I head off for a highpoint. The path is well worn and appears to get much use. I must keep my eyes open for any fauna so I may record it on my DigiPic to transmit along with my report.
Path
Path
I continue along the path, marveling at the silence surrounding me. It is a far cry from the bustling metropolis I call home. The local flora catches my eye. It is odd and colorful and grows where it pleases. Astounding.
Flora
Flora
Weird
Weird
Soon I come upon a pool of liquid. Initial testing shows it to be a compound of H2O – the same makeup of our Sarcastican wahder. Most importantly, I am offered a view to a high point.
I feel as though I am being watched. Something about the pool disturbs me. I must press on.
Continuing toward my goal of high terrain, I encounter a cool, white substance. Analysis shows it to be frozen H20 - sneau. NavSat indicates my current elevation to be approximately 4000 pheat.
Frozen H20
Frozen H20
Not much farther, the dense forested area gives way to an open basin. Huge boulders litter the ground, while more sneau covers the path. I look around and notice traces of path among the green flora heading up to the low point on the ridge.
Basin
Basin
While looking at the sky, I notice another ship skimming through the atmosphere.
Traces of Path
Traces of Path
My SatCom still cannot lock on to the Sarcastican signal so I continue to climb.
Looking back down into the basin
Looking back down into the basin
Gaining the saddle, I espy a sign with a primitive language etched into it. So, there is intelligent life on this planet.
My PanGalactikTranslator cannot decipher
My PanGalactikTranslator cannot decipher
The view is inspiring. This planet has exceptional topography.
More flora
More flora
Even from my high point in the saddle, the SatCom cannot connect. I head up. The sneau is more abundant on the northern side of the terrain. I’ve run into a problem.
Problem
Problem
The sneau has covered the path. It is hard and steep. I am not equipped with bootspikes nor an ayceblade. Nevertheless, I kick-step in and slowly make my way up the slope. My trexpols aid in my ascent.
My goal
My goal
Sneau on the ridgeline presents a further obstacle. I must slip into a moat between a drift and the rock wall and scramble up and around. Once past this marginal area, the path is easy to follow. I continue to climb, encountering two more sneau traverses before I reach the top. At last, my SatCom connects with Sarcastica. I record more images and upload them to the Department of Sarcastican Hi-def Image Tracking and make my full report. Current elevation reads 7201 pheat - nearly 5300 pheat gain from my landing area. Due to a inconsistant signal on my NavSat, distance travelled is not accurate. Estimate 5 or so myles.
Relic of intelligent life. A marker, perhaps?
Relic of intelligent life. A marker, perhaps?
Commander Braincloud
Commander Braincloud
My Portable Beverage Revitalizer
My Portable Beverage Revitalizer
Sarcastican response received. Location confirmed. Planet: Earth Analysis: Mostly harmless.

MyCrookedPath.com The light at the end of my tunnel is a police car.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
peltoms

peltoms
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 4:01 am 
You have a zapray and satcom, and your beverage revitalizer is that. You've been had. Nice summit pano, and sarcastian report up.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Yet

Yet
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 12:18 pm 
embarassedlaugh.gif ykm.gif rotf.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif Most excellent report!

ajax
stronger than dirt

ajax
stronger than dirt
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 2:14 pm 
Thanks for the TR! So the scramble section after the ridge walk is clear of snow? And if I'm reading your language correctly, there's a nice little moat on the ridge but you had to kick step in the snow up to the ridge? Was this a rather daring feat of yours or do you deem Pugh to be accessible to the rest of us earth-dwellers who don't want to slide 1000 feet to our deaths?

braincloud
Summit Seeker

braincloud
Summit Seeker
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 3:11 pm 
Sorry. When I wrote this, it was late so I omitted some beta in the name of creative license. Basically, straight up from Stujack, the snow is very steep and slippery. I sat and weighed my options before ultimately deciding to head up. In the morning, the snow was hard. I didn't have crampons, but I could kickstep in and worked my way from bare patch to bare patch. I gained the trail again, followed it around the ridgeline and ran into another steep snowfield. This one slid down to the left and would be a long, exhausting climb back up if one were to slip. Luckily, there was a moat I walked through and then used it and the rock face to scramble up and out (10 feet vert, if that). Once past there, the trail picks up free and clear along the ridgeline. There are two more snowfields to traverse, each about 50 or so feet wide, and the sun had softened it enough I was able to dig steps in no problem. The second one, I skirted up and around. The scramble sections are all free and clear. I ran into a few others on the way back down. They made it to the moat and decided to turn around. One had tried climbing onto the snow, but slipped and had to arrest. Stopped herself on a bare patch of rocks. Boils down to: Yes it's doable. I did it without traction devices nor an ice-axe. Just the boots and my trekking poles. I would have been more comfortable with an axe, and the crampons would have made the initial snow section easier. The snow was melting fast and I postholed a couple times on the way back down. But, it made plunge stepping that first snowfield above the pass a breeze. If the weather keeps the way it is, i'm sure a lot more of the snow will be gone by this weekend.
Trail is in red.

MyCrookedPath.com The light at the end of my tunnel is a police car.
TMZ

TMZ
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 9:25 pm 
Another great TR!

ajax
stronger than dirt

ajax
stronger than dirt
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 9:35 pm 
Thanks for the added information--I think I'd better try Wedge first, and I'll try waiting a bit for the snow to melt at Pugh. It made me nervous enough the first two times without the added complications (and perhaps I'll never have the courage to do it again, but I hope I will).

MidLifeHiker

MidLifeHiker
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 11:20 pm 
Great trip report. I think you should have collected all the "Sarcastican Mowskeets" and taken them back to outer space for more study. When you are done, just leave them on some other planet, we won't mind. Mt Pugh is one of my favorite hikes. I usually do it in late September, but maybe a little earlier this year. Thanks for the trip report. Mark

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 7:14 pm 
Fantastic! So many gems throughout the report. lol.gif Many thanks for the good read and laughs. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 8:33 pm 
Beam me up to Pugh. Your ship's beta is exceptional.

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostTue Jul 07, 2009 12:02 pm