Forum Index > Trip Reports > Trappers Peak N. Cascades
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Jun 28, 2009 8:17 pm 
We left Deception Pass early this morning, after camping 2 nights there, to head east on highway 20. I was looking for a smaller peak to climb and figured Trappers Peak by the Thornton Lakes would be a good one. Once we got to the trailhead, Ryan and Rose didn't feel like hiking just yet, so Jayden and I took off down the trail. We followed an old logging road for the first few miles before starting the majority of the elevation gain. There wasn't much to see just yet but the weather was improving as the clouds cleared away. We ran into snow at about 4000' but it was only patchy and not a problem. We reached the saddle where we could choose to go down the other side to Thornton lake or continue up to Trappers Peak. It was about 50% snow covered by now but we could see some tracks and an obvious path up to the peak. We kept going and the views were great the higher we got. We could see the frozen lakes, the Colonial mtn. group, and further south to other tall peaks.
flower
flower
Ladder Creek glacier
Ladder Creek glacier
Mt. Triumph area
Mt. Triumph area
Soon we came to some really fun rock scrambling. Jayden was liking this a lot and quickly made it through those areas. Now, the Pickets were visible along with Jack Mtn. and many others. The summit was now in view and we followed the boot path to the top. We found the register and Jayden signed it while I took some pics. The views were amazing in every direction.
Jack and Crater Mtns.
Jack and Crater Mtns.
Colonial and Snowfield area
Colonial and Snowfield area
Jayden and I at the summit 5966'
Jayden and I at the summit 5966'
More peaks to the south
More peaks to the south
We headed down and when we were almost back to the old logging road, we ran into Ryan and Rose on the trail. It's nice that they wanted their own pace and hiked together for a few miles. Rose really wanted to avoid the elev. gain, so she lucked out. We reached the truck and headed home. We were the only ones on that trail today, but it's a nice one for views into the North Cascades.
the Pickets
the Pickets
Triumph
Triumph
peaks to the north
peaks to the north
frozen Thornton lake
frozen Thornton lake
The kids have been curious about how many trips they've been on over the years, so I looked up in my log book and found that this was Jayden's 100th hike he has been on in his short career. He has seen quite a bit so far and is looking forward to a lot more. 10.5 miles and 3500' elevation gain

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jun 28, 2009 8:24 pm 
up.gif Nice Pics !

Living in the Anthropocene
loper

loper
PostSun Jun 28, 2009 8:45 pm 
any problems with the creek crossings? I heard they can get pretty deep in the spring? L

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Jun 28, 2009 8:57 pm 
loper wrote:
any problems with the creek crossings? I heard they can get pretty deep in the spring? L
All creeks were easily crossed. The biggest creek had a nice log over it. All others had rocks above the water to make for dry crossings. Also, the trail was in great shape and there were only 2 down trees on the trail.

Eric Eames