Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dosewallips Road 5.27.09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostWed May 27, 2009 7:04 pm 
Today I hiked up the closed section of the Dosewallips Road. Yes, I know, again. I'm waiting patiently for more snow to melt in the high country and the Hood Canal Bridge to reopen - which I hear will be open in about 2 or so weeks. I've pretty much hit up all the trails I've wanted to hike while the bridge is closed. I had the road pretty much to myself on the hike in. The wildflowers are blooming profusely. There were a lot of strawberries in bloom. The rhodies are blooming too. up.gif The river was full to the brim from all the snow that's been melting. Yay!!! Saw some people on the hike out. Saw a trail crew riding their bikes to the ranger station and I passed a ONP pack horse train going up the road loaded down with tools. The gravel section of the road that is drivable has some nasty potholes. A few were so bad that I had to stop the car and then drive through them. The pics....
Pacific Rhododendron
Pacific Rhododendron
Columbine
Columbine
Road Side Waterfall
Road Side Waterfall

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Don

Don
PostWed May 27, 2009 7:10 pm 
The Dosewalips is my favorite river in the Olympics, followed by the Quilcene. I think the section of the Dose along the road is the most scenic, having been to both fork's source. It just has so much character down lower, and wonderful falls. Thanks for the beautiful images HJT. Any word on the snow level in the area? I've been hearing around 3,000'. Del Monte Ridge and Mystery have been on my mind. Edit: Wow! You found Columbine already!

Hx

Hx
PostWed May 27, 2009 7:15 pm 
I so wish the Hood canal bridge will open early!! Great flower photos! How far did you go on the road?

Don

Don
PostWed May 27, 2009 7:36 pm 
Thanks HJT! I'm not looking for snow-free conditions up on Del Monte Ridge, just easier accessibility. I've been up there on Memorial Day weekend before in a light snow year, and it was excellent. This year I suspect mid-June might offer similar conditions. BTW - I just saw your location. I have close relatives near Penrose SP. up.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed May 27, 2009 11:37 pm 
Stunning flower shots up.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostWed May 27, 2009 11:59 pm 
Great job photographing the flowers Hes. up.gif up.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostThu May 28, 2009 8:25 am 
HJT~ So far every trip you've posted over here in the Oly's, I've been just right behind you or ahead of you. We've done the exact same hikes on the same days. I'm sure we've passed each other... wave.gif

silence

silence
PostThu May 28, 2009 9:02 am 
man ... i've walked that road a few times in the last few yrs and never was too inspired to pull out the camera except at the falls ... now i'm inspired ... nice work ...

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
silence

silence
PostThu May 28, 2009 9:40 am 
ok ... i get it ... it's just with hauling a pack on hot sweaty day .. with dust and no fleurs ... twice in 2 weeks and then once again that summer ... well .. gimme a break winksmile.gif but i love it as is ... preferring it as a trail instead of a road -- a great backpack for youngsters .. sorry for going there ..i mean the controversy

Don

Don
PostThu May 28, 2009 9:47 am 
silence wrote:
ok ... i get it ... it's just with hauling a pack on hot sweaty day .. with dust and no fleurs ... twice in 2 weeks and then once again that summer ... well .. gimme a break winksmile.gif
Quck thread drift: Did you exit Lost Basin this way when I "almost" met you Silence?

silence

silence
PostThu May 28, 2009 9:59 am 
no this is when we went into honeymoon meadows ... the 1st time r's camera wouldn't record ... he needed his cleaning tape which we left bhind so we had to turn around on lost basin we came in via lake lillian and the cameron ridge traverse the 3rd time .. hmmm i can't remember ... maybe i was dreamin .. i know i still want to do constance plus explore that route over to gunsight pass .. btw here's a few on the upper w fork dose fm that trip -- all the way to honeymoon meadows in one day .. we were hauling but i did take out my camera once in awhile winksmile.gif
Dosewallips River crossing above Diamond Meadow camp
Dosewallips River crossing above Diamond Meadow camp
On the trail below Honeymoon Meadows
On the trail below Honeymoon Meadows
and obtw ... the dose campground is enchanting!!

Oly Hiker

Oly Hiker
PostTue Jun 23, 2009 2:14 pm 
Has anyone ever rode a bike in and locked it up over a few days while hiking into the backcountry? I am planning a trip for the Dosewallips in late August and want to cut down on the hike in if possible so I can spend more time in the high country. Thanks

crabio

crabio
PostTue Jun 23, 2009 2:18 pm 
Oly Hiker wrote:
Has anyone ever rode a bike in and locked it up over a few days while hiking into the backcountry? I am planning a trip for the Dosewallips in late August and want to cut down on the hike in if possible so I can spend more time in the high country. Thanks
Never have but I've hiked the road before. It's not really that far to hike the road. Maybe an extra 90 minutes or so. I'm not sure I'd take the chance of something happening to my bike to save that little of time. If it was 10 or 15 miles or road, that'd be different. I think it's only about 3 miles or so. Just my thoughts ... -c

Lono

Lono
PostTue Jun 23, 2009 3:49 pm 
I have ridden a bike up to Dose campground, then cached it in the brush and hiked in a few more miles. If you toss/park your bike far enough off trail, no one's gonna find it, or no one's gonna spend time looking for a bike in the middle of the woods. Lock it up for safety, that's all. I gotta say riding a bike up the Dose road with a full pack was hard and took probably 1-1/2 hours, but having a bike to zoom back down the road in ~20 minutes marginally made it worthwhile.

Don

Don
PostTue Jun 23, 2009 4:41 pm 
Ditto on Lono's comments. I've locked my bike up at the bike rack at the TH, and stashed it in the trees (locked to a tree). It's not easy going in (though not bad), but it sure is FUN coming out!