Forum Index > Trip Reports > West Cady and Bench Mark don't disappoint! 06/27/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSat Jun 27, 2009 10:01 pm 
We were on an assignment - recon for Elle's flower trip. Our mission was to carefully document what we found - and this trip didn't disappoint! Picking up Yumi at the early hour of 7:00 a.m., off we headed to Bench Mark Mountain via West Cady Ridge. It was brisk but the skies were absolutely stunningly clear - with a promise of lots of sunshine (note: Yumi DID bring the sunscreen today - more on that later). In two hours, with little traffic along the route, (note: The 76 Station in Monroe - the first one on the right heading east - gas is $2.81/gallon - the Chevron on the west side of Sultan it's $2.79/gal) we were at the trailhead - not another car in the lot.
Do not feed the bears!
Do not feed the bears!
Checking in
Checking in
We got underway just a little after 9:00 a.m. - there were lots of mosquitoes bug.gif but fortunately, it was their little jaws were frozen shut because it was still a little cool and early redface.gif The info on the board said that there was snow at 3800' - our start was 2500' - but the brown trail was a welcome site. Within minutes, we were crossing the N. Fork of the Skykomish, with a lovely bridge across.
North Fork of the Skykomish
North Fork of the Skykomish
Nice bridge crossing
Nice bridge crossing
and we entered the Wild Sky up.gif
Yahoo!
Yahoo!
It looks like this will be a good huckleberry year here, too - but someone confused.gif couldn't wait.
Bear marks?
Bear marks?
Although the map shops a fairly steep climb up to the ridge - it really is quite moderate and an easy grade. We passed 3800' with no snow in evidence - in fact, we didn't see any real snow until about 4600' - but from that point the snow was continuous. Sometimes only a couple of inches, but in other spots several feet.
Cady Ridge with lots of snow
Cady Ridge with lots of snow
As we reached the ridge, we would have to find our own trail. We consulted the map and picked a route that kept us to the east/southeast to skirt around the drainage - you actually can kinda' see the ridge route - in fact we could even spot Bench Mark in the distance.
Our destination - Bench Mark in the distance
Our destination - Bench Mark in the distance
All sorts of views opened up for us as we hit the ridge - it was glorious!
Monte Cristo to the west
Monte Cristo to the west
Rainier to the south
Rainier to the south
Glacier looms ahead
Glacier looms ahead
Indian Head peak in distance
Indian Head peak in distance
Baker between Sloan and Pugh
Baker between Sloan and Pugh
Note to Elle: be prepared for snow - it's supposed to be warm this week and perhaps there will be a lot of melt - but be prepared for snow! We only used poles - no need for extra gear.
1/2 trail and 1/2 snow
1/2 trail and 1/2 snow
Another note - there were some lovely flowers while we were still below snow line - Bleeding Heart, Bunchberry, Violets, even some Trillium. But, the snow has halted any additional flowers on the ridge - well, with the exception of the spectacular Glacier Lilies where the snow has melted - quite a show and by next weekend - the whole ridge should be covered in lilies eek.gif chickenleg.gif
Glacier Lilies reading to pop
Glacier Lilies reading to pop
Brown trail and yellow lilies
Brown trail and yellow lilies
Glacier lilies with Monte Cristo behind
Glacier lilies with Monte Cristo behind
We were making great time - it only took us 1 1/2 hour to the ridge (3 3/4 miles) - but the snow would slow us down a little - also, you have to drop about 250' off of the ridge before ascending another bump - because this bump is a southerly facing slope - we were on brown trail most of the way up. We stopped for lunch here before heading on to the summit of Bench Mark. Barry did a great job of keeping us (mostly) on course, with only a few corrections along the way. Elle, dutifully, we checked the camping conditions - let me put it this way, you won't have any trouble finding water! lol.gif But there are some great camping spots - a couple just below the summit of Bench Mark in a stand of trees - totally off of snow.
Camp site below Bench Mark
Camp site below Bench Mark
Camp site below Bench Mark summit
Camp site below Bench Mark summit
If you continue up the ridge and onto the summit, there is a level spot for at least one tent.
Camp site on the top of Bench Mark
Camp site on the top of Bench Mark
As you can see, there's still a lot of snow on the ridge line and the summit of Bench Mark (we never found a summit register nor a USGS benchmark on the summit).
Looking back on our route up the ridge to summit
Looking back on our route up the ridge to summit
Gus and Barry and lots of blue sky
Gus and Barry and lots of blue sky
Yumi coming up to the summit of Bench Mark (looking south)
Yumi coming up to the summit of Bench Mark (looking south)
Barry on summit of Bench Mark (looking north)
Barry on summit of Bench Mark (looking north)
The magnificent Glacier Peak
The magnificent Glacier Peak
Baker behind Pugh
Baker behind Pugh
Glacier and friends
Glacier and friends
Today was a bit poignant, as this was the 2nd anniversary of Sadie's hitting heaven's trails. Even though she never visited Bench Mark, a sandwich was left for her
Sadie's Sandwich
Sadie's Sandwich
- I'm sure she'll find it. agree.gif We enjoyed some more sun on the summit and a quick snack and time for pics before heading down.
Driver, Barry and Gus with Glacier behind on summit of Bench Mark
Driver, Barry and Gus with Glacier behind on summit of Bench Mark
Yumi, Barry and Gus on Bench Mark
Yumi, Barry and Gus on Bench Mark
Hot dog!
Hot dog!
By now the snow had softened, but it still was slippery as we headed off the summit.
Yumi coming off of Bench Mark - slip slidding!
Yumi coming off of Bench Mark - slip slidding!
Another quick shot of those gorgeous lilies . . .
Lily fields forever
Lily fields forever
We noticed on our way back at one spot on the ridge there must be a horse camp, because we found a high hitch . . .
Horse tie
Horse tie
The return was fairly uneventful - but we were surprised to see that there were some bootprints back on Cady Ridge. It looked like there were some additional dog prints, too. hmmm.gif We continued on - when what to our wondering eyes should appear, but a stout, belligerent and mouthy Jasper (!) and a confused Loki rolleyes.gif
The stout and belligerent
The stout and belligerent
Christine, Loki and mouthy ;-)
Christine, Loki and mouthy ;-)
Seems GeoTom left Mr. J in the capable hands of Christine and she thought she would take him somewhere remote where he wouldn't encounter others - SURPRISE! Of course, Jasper knew Gus and managed to quickly assert himself and establish the pecking order. Gus couldn't care less and was more interested in knowing whether or not Christine had any treats! winksmile.gif On we continued and soon we were back on dirt - and before long back to the car. By now, there were 3 other cars in the lot - don't know where the others were. Not surprising, since there are three different trailheads at this location. Stats: 16 miles round trip (that may be generous - but that's what all of the books say!) 4000' gain 7 1/2 hours car to car (including a lunch stop and a summit stop) Final note to Elle - at first we all voted that you probably shouldn't do this trip because there was still so much snow and there wouldn't be many flowers. But, after doing it, we decided it's a GREAT trip and well worth it - you can avoid camping on the snow and the Glacier Lilies will be at their best! Go for it! agree.gif up.gif (side bar - 522 now has one less light on it - nice!) Hope you get some sleep zzz.gif Yumi! embarassedlaugh.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Jun 27, 2009 10:20 pm 
Thanks for the recon, I'll definitely be heading up there in the next week or so.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Jun 27, 2009 10:31 pm 
Here's looking at you from the east on Poe on Friday. wave.gif
Benchmark Mountain
Benchmark Mountain
Looks like a beautiful day up there. up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Jun 28, 2009 8:52 am 
I spy
Get Out and Go wrote:
Here's looking at you from the east on Poe on Friday. wave.gif
Benchmark Mountain
Benchmark Mountain
Looks like a beautiful day up there. up.gif
Yeah, I saw your report and smiled to see a pic of "us" from your vantage point. Your notes were most helpful for a possible trip toward the Glacier Basin - we did Indian Head last summer and it was spectacular! Thanks for the info! up.gif s.d.

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostSun Jun 28, 2009 12:21 pm 
with such a great report, I fear I will not be able to find an unoccupied spot up there- consider this my 'reservation' for the summit (if not too breezy) or that lovely spot below.

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Jun 28, 2009 2:26 pm 
Gorgeous! We hope to camp up there within the next couple of weeks! up.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Jun 28, 2009 5:59 pm 
Great! A nwhikers social!!! hockeygrin.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostSun Jun 28, 2009 6:23 pm 
The Beckler Road is in excellent condition, newly graded and smooth. The side road to the trailheads is not graded, but still in great shape. It's a pleasant change from the Teanaway roads we've driven lately. The trail itself is also in excellent condition, at least the part that's not covered by snow. Above 4700' there is only one extended stretch with southern exposure that's clear - in spite of that we were able to stay pretty close to it. Things will open up pretty quickly if it stays warm, particularly on the ridge approaching Benchmark Mtn. and the summit itself. All in all a great trip.
N. Fork Skykomish
N. Fork Skykomish
W. Cady ridge
W. Cady ridge
Glacier lilies line the trail
Glacier lilies line the trail
Suzanne and Yumi
Suzanne and Yumi
Sloan, Pugh & Baker
Sloan, Pugh & Baker
Ridge nearing Benchmark
Ridge nearing Benchmark
Suzanne on Benchmark
Suzanne on Benchmark
Sun dog?
Sun dog?
Monte Cristo behind glacier lilies
Monte Cristo behind glacier lilies
Glacier lilies on the way to Benchmark
Glacier lilies on the way to Benchmark

pithy yet insightful signature
Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostSun Jun 28, 2009 9:31 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
We continued on - when what to our wondering eyes should appear, but a stout, belligerent and mouthy Jasper (!) and a confused Lokki
I may be stout, but I am not belligerent. Well, only a little. And Loki often has a confused look, but he's a good guy. Nice to see you out there. Glad I got a hike in even if it wasn't with my mom and dad.

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Jun 28, 2009 10:15 pm 
Jasper wrote:
Sadie's Driver wrote:
We continued on - when what to our wondering eyes should appear, but a stout, belligerent and mouthy Jasper (!) and a confused Lokki
I may be stout, but I am not belligerent. Well, only a little. And Loki often has a confused look, but he's a good guy. Nice to see you out there. Glad I got a hike in even if it wasn't with my mom and dad.
Hey dude, it's ok - I'd be ticked too, if I was short and stout! lol.gif winksmile.gif At least you hadn't rolled in anything when I saw you. embarassedlaugh.gif Gus

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 12:07 am 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Today was a bit poignant, as this was the 2nd anniversary of Sadie's hitting heaven's trails. Even though she never visited Bench Mark, a sandwich was left for her
Sadie's Sandwich
Sadie's Sandwich
- I'm sure she'll find it.
A sweet tribute for a sweet dog! (I hope Gus behaved with proper reverence.) td

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 1:46 am 
Hmmmm. I thought the road to te W Cady TH was innaccessible, due to the washout on Index-Galena.... is the side road before the washout (coming from Beckler/Jack pass? --Gray

JimK

JimK
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 6:56 am 
Perfectly accessible via the Beckler Road over Jack Pass.

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 8:10 am 
Gray wrote:
Hmmmm. I thought the road to te W Cady TH was innaccessible, due to the washout on Index-Galena.... is the side road before the washout (coming from Beckler/Jack pass?--Gray
agree.gif Go out the Beckler Forest Service 65 to Forest Service 63 (6300) - don't take the Lake Blanca turn!!! The road is fine that direction - it is blocked, however, towards Index/Galena. s.d.

Dani
Kimtah's Mom

Dani
Kimtah's Mom
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 2:11 pm 
Stout
I hope Jasper wasn't too obnoxious! Will have to get out with you again sometime. We just had to enjoy the whitewater instead this weekend. biggrin.gif

Keeping GeoTom in line since 1998