Forum Index > Trip Reports > June 26-29, 2009 A Pasayten, Monument Creek, Bulger Slam
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cartman

cartman
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 2:40 pm 
Thanks for the great TR, info and pics, John. Good to know that Monument Creek is still an option and that Eureka can be forded safely. Don't feel too bad about not getting Ptarmigan--it's a fantastic trip in larch season from Canada: http://www.mtnvista.net/Mountains/Mountains%202005/05%2010-08%20Ptarmigan%20Peak.htm ; and Dot is just a walkover. Weather on Ragged Ridge (and everywhere else) looked fine on Sat as viewed from Gardner.
John Morrow wrote:
Hey, indulge my fragile ego and rate SW ridge of Corteo a solid class three, at least! John
Definitely class 3, but no class 4 I saw. Can't imagine why anyone would rap it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 2:53 pm 
Wonderful ridge roaming - thanks for the pics and detailed descriptions!

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 3:03 pm 
cartman wrote:
Thanks for the great TR, info and pics, John. Good to know that Monument Creek is still an option and that Eureka can be forded safely.
John Morrow wrote:
Hey, indulge my fragile ego and rate SW ridge of Corteo a solid class three, at least! John
Definitely class 3, but no class 4 I saw. Can't imagine why anyone would rap it.
Hello Cartman, That's what I saw, too. I believe I started lower down the ridge because there was little snow late in the season and I didn't want to go up scree to a higher notch. That's where the rappel slings were. I took this pic of the class 3 "crux" in case someone would want to see what the ridge looked like, then went down and set up my ultrapod for a self timer shot, then ran back up for an action pic. I enjoyed that scramble in combo with the traverse from Black Pk. alot, and would recommend it to others for sure.
Incidentally, I had pretty much wrote off Ptarmigan at the TH figuring I wouldn't be strong enough, and fortunately, I have yet to do Carru and Osceolo, so I am planning on a nice fall trip like yours. Never knew you had the personal site. Lots of great stuff to glean from you. Thanks, John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
cartman

cartman
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 3:11 pm 
John Morrow wrote:
Never knew you had the personal site. Lots of great stuff to glean from you. Thanks, John
That's Matt's site. I don't have one, but maybe someday...

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 3:41 pm 
sooperfly wrote:
John Morrow wrote:
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
Nice work. Did they replace the bridge over Eureka Ck, or did you ford it?
It is not the fault of the good hardworking trail folks out of the Methow Valley Ranger District, there are simply far too few of them to get it all done. John
Hope you don't mind me butting in here? We've discussed this area in other threads before...... For all intents and purposes, this trail was abandoned when the ranger districts combined many years ago. It's gone for good along with a lot of other stuff in the Pasayten. I'd bet the location of a couple good fish'n spots the bridge and the trail system beyond will never come up for maintenance again. Thanks for the nice report and information! Looks like a good time. up.gif
Link to a discussion of the Eureka Creek bridge and it's history but lack of a future. frown.gif https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7967052&highlight=Monument+Creek+Trail

don b

don b
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 6:37 pm 
We were quite amazed when we entered the Marblemount Station only to find another group debating the same trip. The weather report at 5:30 in Seattle wasn't too bad but by 8 it seemed to have taken a turn. After a brief debate we decided to head East. We discovered the other group (admitted NWH lurkers) had come to the same conclusion. The Pistol Pass hike would be a tough one later in the summer heat. We ended up following the "climbers" route only to discover on our descent that there were a number of still intact switchbacks that we had evidently missed on our way up. Too much talk. Once the top of the ridge is reached it's a very pleasant hike to Pistol Pass. On our second day, the long one, we ran into a NOLS group at Shellrock Pass. Teenagers in the middle of a 30 day trip, some of which probably don't know just how lucky they are to be doing that. Their leader was amazed to run into another group. The students were taking over route finding and decision making at the that point with the leaders observing. They didn't have ice axes and so were trying to figure out a safe way to descend steepish snow from the Pass when we just dropped into a speed glissade down. We ran into 2 more of the leaders farther on and they made some comment about us demonstrating exactly what not to do! The descent from Lost was extremely efficient and if one was to choose to climb Lost from Pistol Pass would be the way to go. The drawback of that approach is the Lake Doris/Shellrock traverse is much, much nicer. Our method of ascending Monument and Lake was excellent. The tactic of climbing Lake second and descending the East Ridge was fast and much more pleasant then the South side. If one only wants to climb Lake from the Lake of the Woods Basin then this is the way to go up and down. A wonderful trip with great people. The only disappointment was looking each day at our intended NC peaks in great conditions.

cartman

cartman
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 10:02 pm 
This area must be part of a standard NOLS route, as Matt and I ran into one of their groups at Freds Lake six years ago. Spoke to a couple of the students; they were twenty days into their trip, one young man was speaking with pride about their summit of Rolo. They had been resupplied at the abandoned Pasayten airfield a few days earlier. Good info and trip, all.

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostWed Jul 01, 2009 4:27 pm 
For a backup plan, what a great trip! up.gif up.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jul 02, 2009 9:06 am 
How did I pass up on this report? Way to make a memorable trip with your anticipated weather forecast scenarios!

Art is an adventure.