Forum Index > Trip Reports > Indian Creek trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
The Bubbly Hiker

The Bubbly Hiker
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 11:43 pm 
The bugs are out in force! Aussie and I hiked up this trail about 4.5 miles to a campsite in the valley. The trail is pretty brushy after the switchbacks that climb from the White River, and one spot has muck deep enough to nearly take my shoes off. Other than the bugs, muck, and brush, it's a nice trip. While we were in the neighborhood, we tucked in Airplane Peak. The views from this technically easy but elevationally challenging scramble are stupendous -- Glacier Peak (DaKobed herself), the DaKobed range, the Poets, the Biblicals especially nearby Mt Saul, Sloan, and Dirtyface... good times! Did I mention the bugs? On the way out the mosquito gauntlet was only for the brave of soul and dim of wit. A group of youths hiking in for trail maintenance dropped a lot of gear. It was humorous to see a shoe here, a bottle there, food, maintenance gear as they inadvertently jettisoned excess weight.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 12:52 pm 
(Dirtyface is a name in the Bible?) Bozo - that trail is reputed to have huge cedars. True, yes? There was once a Forest Service guard cabin about 4 miles in. It's mentioned in Chester Marler's book "East of the Divide." I'd like to go see if I can find any remains back in the brush (cabin remains, that is). I had intended to go last year but never got around to it. Where are the damn pictures? You know you're not worth anything - at least you can do is toss up some photos. rant.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 1:15 pm 
Airplane Lake is a great place notwithstanding the bugs. Is it melted out? Did you see cutthroats rising? Was the slabby scramble route to Saul melted out? Do I ask too many questions? biggrin.gif

The Bubbly Hiker

The Bubbly Hiker
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 11:38 pm 
Yeah, there were some nice big ol' trees. But I can't recall if they were cedars. I have the book you mention but didn't read it ahead of time... now I wonder where that cabin was. I put a couple photos where I know you can get to 'em, Quark. Too lazy to upload them to multiple places. Airplane lake is 15% melted, Big Guy. Saul's slabs are not melted out.