Forum Index > Food & Grub > Any tips on backcountry clean up?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sennin

Sennin
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 10:18 pm 
Do you pack it all out? Strain and dump the water? Biodegradable soap? What are your secrets to a scent free camp? I usually do the boil-in-bag thing. But I'd like to cook some good meals....I don't mid doing dishes, but it's a little different when your on a 5 day backpacking trip. You have to deal with critters and getting your pan/pot/utensils clean. How do you do it?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jun 30, 2009 10:44 pm 
Easy..first always use a pot/stove setup that doesn't burn on food. Then do meals that don't get fried onto pans. One pot pastas for example work well. Then eat everything in the pot, scraping well. Before it sets up quickly wipe out pot with a paper towel. This will remove most left behinds. Put in garbage bag. Then wash. Mostly this: don't let food get cold, it will stick like crazy. This is one area where hard anodized or non stick pots are the better choice.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Jul 01, 2009 6:08 am 
What Sarbar said. agree.gif

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
r8rn8n

r8rn8n
PostWed Jul 01, 2009 10:04 pm 
yeah the gormet thing in the backcountry does puzzle me, I say this without sarcasm it sounds like a good way to spend the evening and I love good food. It just seems like too much to worry about packing and cleaning, and depending on how into it you are it would prob take more pots, pans, etc... can you do it with one stove? I love to cook at home, but on the trail I stay with mostly dehydrated meals and pastas and rice, mostly stuff to just boil and is easy to clean. What is a simple meal with few ingredients that could help get me more into backcountry cooking? getting off track of this thread so for clean up I eat all the food, fill with water scrub (if necesary) and dump on a rock. no soap.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jul 02, 2009 6:22 am 
r8rn8n wrote:
What is a simple meal with few ingredients that could help get me more into backcountry cooking?
Pesto Salmon Pasta is quite tasty - tastes more gourmet but doesn't have the cleanup wink.gif One pot cooking for it.

erik the red

erik the red
PostThu Jul 02, 2009 3:58 pm 
I just recently came back from a 4 day canoe trip on Diablo/Ross Lakes and introduced my traveling companions to the joys of backcountry cooking. Here is what I made for them: Friday lunch - Carl Buddig sandwiches, crackers Friday dinner - Marinated and dry-rubbed Cornish game hens Sauteed Green Beans Cheesy leek and bacon mashed potatoes Saturday breakfast - Lemony Maple Blueberry Sauce over blueberry pancakes Saturday lunch - Crunchy Tabbouleh Saturday dinner - French Bread Bruschetta with Lemon Parmesan Angel Hair pasta Sunday breakfast - 1-2 cups cold cereal ½-1 cup powdered milk Sunday lunch - Bagels and cheese, turkey sticks Sunday dinner Red Robin burgers biggrin.gif Most of the cooking recipes I got straight from http://www.backpacker.com/menu_maker/skills/12198 up.gif

Trail snail

Trail snail
PostMon Jul 13, 2009 7:52 pm 
YUM! Oh my! I never knew anyone could cook like that, out there!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 13, 2009 9:14 pm 
Oh brother! I eat REALLY well at home, there is no reason to eat like a bloody chef in the back country! Oatmeal for breakfast, freeze dried for lunch and dinner with some supplementary bread. Pack it all out! LIGHT IS RIGHT!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 13, 2009 9:40 pm 
I'll be honest. If it is a short 3 mile hike I will do gourmet cooking. But if it is an all day hike from dawn to dusk, no way. I want to boil water, wait 15 minutes and eat. Then go to bed. Somewhere after 9 pm on Saturday night. We got camp set up before dark, eating as the sun went down.
The three of use with the silver silnylon FBC UL Cozies I create biggrin.gif Happy as can be and off to bed....no cleanup needed.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Jul 13, 2009 10:00 pm 
I like Campsuds. http://www.sierradawn.com/products.asp In fact, its now one of those smells that I always associate with hiking. You can wash your pots or your pits with it. Its concentrated so you dont need to carry alot. Plus its biodegradeable. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over. biggrin.gif

cweston

cweston
PostTue Jul 14, 2009 5:00 pm 
captain jack wrote:
I like Campsuds
+1. Gets dishes clean w/ cold water, which saves fuel. Use it very sparingly.

Luc

Luc
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 11:12 pm 
i cut a 1x2" piece of green dish sponge and use water. if something gets crazy stuck, i use sand. i never pack out craps or poo unless on a glacier. that's LNT out of hand imho.

GNGSTR
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Aug 25, 2009 8:46 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Before it sets up quickly wipe out pot with a paper towel. This will remove most left behinds. Put in garbage bag. Then wash.
I'll second the idea about the paper towel. If I'm not in a hurry, I'll typically have slow-cooked oatmeal for breakfast, which leaves a slimy coating on the pot. But, a quick swipe with a paper towel (actually, half a paper towel) removes so much of the goo that I'm tempted to call it good right there. Same story with sticky stuff like chili -- nothing gets off the goo like a paper towel. Then a damp mini-sponge with a little soap and a quick rinse and you're done. As Sarbar said, non-stick pots clean particularly well with this.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Sep 05, 2009 7:44 pm 
Bring a dog. She weighs nothing in your pack, and cleans any pot or dish. She also adds 15-20 degrees to your sleeping bag rating. And carries her own pack with her own food, etc, plus 5 lbs of your stuff.