Forum Index > Trip Reports > Canoe Camping at Cooper Lake 6/27/09 (VIDEO AT END)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 3:07 pm 
Good weather brought the folks out in droves. Miles (my son) and I took up the canoe to Cooper Lake (up the Salmon La Sac road from Roslyn) and paddled across the lake looking for a campsite. We got there around 5:30pm and all the sites were taken on the far side so we paddled up to a site towards the western end on the same side as the boat ramp. We had a grand time with John and his boys, building a fire, roasting hot dogs, cooking smores and burning sticks. The next day we paddled around a bunch, went fishing, went swimming and had a grand time. I love that little lake, with the Lemah and Chikaman peaks at the far end. I have bunch of video I'll edit up soon, for now pics :
Dude your marshmallow is on fire!  Men, fire, marshmallow's.  Life doesn't get much better.
Dude your marshmallow is on fire! Men, fire, marshmallow's. Life doesn't get much better.
Watching Sparks Fly
Watching Sparks Fly
Miles looks back at me as we make our way along Cooper Lake looking for a camp site.
Miles looks back at me as we make our way along Cooper Lake looking for a camp site.
Gavin and I headed out for a quick paddle on the lake. I wanted some sunset photos of the peaks and Gavin wanted to fish. We got neither but had a great time regardless.
Gavin and I headed out for a quick paddle on the lake. I wanted some sunset photos of the peaks and Gavin wanted to fish. We got neither but had a great time regardless.
Gavin trying his luck fishing as the world begins to ligthen.  At the longest days right now we have sunlight from 4:30 to 9:30 at night.
Gavin trying his luck fishing as the world begins to ligthen. At the longest days right now we have sunlight from 4:30 to 9:30 at night.
Paddling up to the far north western end of Cooper Lake offers some dramatic views of Lemah, Chimney and Overcoat Peak.  Glaciers hang in their upper benches below the peaks.  I love paddling around with them in view.
Paddling up to the far north western end of Cooper Lake offers some dramatic views of Lemah, Chimney and Overcoat Peak. Glaciers hang in their upper benches below the peaks. I love paddling around with them in view.
Miles and I at our campsite. (both wearing hats made by Stac I might add). [photo by Gavin]
Miles and I at our campsite. (both wearing hats made by Stac I might add). [photo by Gavin]
Gavin eats his pancakes with some spark bokeh
Gavin eats his pancakes with some spark bokeh
Miles and I paddling around the lake to try our hand at a little fishing.
Miles and I paddling around the lake to try our hand at a little fishing.
The end of the lake, like glass with blue sky.  The other boys paddling around in their canoe.
The end of the lake, like glass with blue sky. The other boys paddling around in their canoe.
Gavin convinced the two younger boys to paddling him around while he went fishing.  The water was like glass.
Gavin convinced the two younger boys to paddling him around while he went fishing. The water was like glass.
The Cooper Lake Gang
The Cooper Lake Gang
George and Cherry paddled up with their two kids (and their dog).  They were staying Saturday night but we had to head back.  We hung out for a couple of hours, their boys were so cute throwing rocks into the lake.
George and Cherry paddled up with their two kids (and their dog). They were staying Saturday night but we had to head back. We hung out for a couple of hours, their boys were so cute throwing rocks into the lake.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 3:19 pm 
Too bad we couldn't join you, it looks like a great trip! That view across the lake is gorgeous.

harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 4:07 pm 
growing up in minnesota i was fortunate to do a bunch of canoe camping, so much funner than caring a heavy pack all day especially when you have young kids.

hikes and climbs with malamute
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 4:18 pm 
what beautiful photos from a beautiful trip Mark. You sure go to the nice places smile.gif up.gif

Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu

Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 4:36 pm 
Awesome Trip! I've been thinking about upgrading my solo canoe for something that can haul the fam. The seed was planted when I read a TR a couple months ago about someones adventure on Ross Lake. This TR is gonna add to that fire.

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 9:05 pm 
Ingunn wrote:
Too bad we couldn't join you, it looks like a great trip! That view across the lake is gorgeous.
Next time Ingunn!
Fuu wrote:
Awesome Trip! I've been thinking about upgrading my solo canoe for something that can haul the fam. The seed was planted when I read a TR a couple months ago about someones adventure on Ross Lake. This TR is gonna add to that fire.
I picked up mine on Craig's List.... Yup did a canoe trip on Ross Lake 2 years ago, awesome place.
Into the Devil's Creek
Into the Devil's Creek
seawallrunner wrote:
what beautiful photos from a beautiful trip Mark. You sure go to the nice places smile.gif up.gif
I learned the value of a good canoe trip from yours to Ross Lake Vida wink.gif
harrymalamute wrote:
growing up in minnesota i was fortunate to do a bunch of canoe camping, so much funner than caring a heavy pack all day especially when you have young kids.
Amen, its the benefit of car camping you can carry lots of weight combined with backpacking in that you can get to remote places.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Jun 29, 2009 9:27 pm 
oh, speaking of Ross Lake, I learned last weekend that Ross Lake Resort rents out kayaks and canoes! In previous years, one needed to be a guest at the Resort to partake in the boats. But now, the watercraft are available for rent on a daily basis, even if you don't bunk at the resort. Something to think about !!

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostThu Jul 02, 2009 8:02 pm 
Here is a video of our trip :