Forum Index > Trip Reports > Comet Falls MRNP 7-2-09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
grasshopper

grasshopper
PostThu Jul 02, 2009 6:46 pm 
Got a vacation day today, so I took a trip to the Longmire side of Mt Rainier. Ranger said the trail to Comet Falls was snow free.
This trail is a steep, rocky, and rooty mess! It has three avalanche chutes that are very treacherous if there's ice or snow on the trail. Truly the trail from hell. But it leads to heaven.
Every trail has one. A couple with no gear, sandals, and one water bottle for the two of them. Temps were in the 80s today. When I saw them coming down, there was probably one cup of water left. For the two of them. This trail is very popular and attracts the unprepared in droves.
I found my avalanche lillies. I love these cute little flowers.
A nice talus field, what joy. It only seemed to get steeper from here.
Crossing Falls Creek, a fork of Van Trump Creek.
First I had to cross a wicked, wicked snow slope. I'll come back to the snow slope.
Totally lost the trail, I asked a group, anybody seen a comet? They pointed out the continuation of the trail. So, after some careful hand holds to keep from slipping into the creek, I find more STEEPER switchbacks! When will it ever end??? Just when I thought I had enough of switchbacks, I looked up and saw this.
Comet Falls, the most beautiful waterfall in Mt Rainier National Park. 320 feet of thunder and mist. It was spellbinding, I just stood there taking picture after picture. Can you see the two people at the bottom? Now, it was time to turn back and time to face my nemesis snow slope again.
The snow probably looks like nothing, but I kind of have this fear of falling, so it was a big deal for me. And I were to fall, I would wind up in Falls Creek and sometime that evening, my body would go floating past Longmire. Not a good way to die.
So, I collapsed my poles, trying to use them as ice axes, then butt scooted, digging my boots into the snow, some creative veggie belays, (no plants were harmed in this snow crossing, but some tree branches were greatly inconvienced.) Then, a 6 foot glissade back to safe terrain, so to speak. Repeat after me, "I will never forget my Microspikes on trails in early July again!" Good. On the way down, the trail was as joint jarring as it was thigh burning going up. When I got to the car, this guy who never hiked a trail in his life said, "Boy, wasn't that a GREAT trail?!" I said, "Boy, wasn't that a HORRIBLE trail?!?" But, the falls, oh the falls, they are beautiful.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostThu Jul 02, 2009 6:54 pm 
Beautiful! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Jul 02, 2009 6:54 pm 
up.gif It's a great hike. I will have to continue up to the park someday.

tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jul 02, 2009 7:10 pm 
I have a great dislike for traversey kind of snow areas this time of year especially so I can kind of relate. As a result I still usually keep the microspikes in the pack just in case I hit something I have to deal with (the microspikes might save me a turnaround/chicken out point) As a result I'm gonna wait a bit to head over and do some hikes in the Sunrise area or even Mt. Rainier in general. Plenty of trails where all of the snow is gone alreaddy!

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Jul 02, 2009 7:26 pm 
I hear you on the snow slopes, I'm usually alone and think about someone finding my body. I usually try and wear bright colors so they can spot me easily. The things we don't do for a good view at the top. I love these falls, I've only done the trail once and it was a thigh burner for sure.. the steps... Good luck at Summerland tomorrow. I'm headed to Mt. Townsend.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jul 03, 2009 3:52 pm 
For those wondering..the snow levels at Sunrise are half this morning of what they were last Saturday afternoon! By Sunday? Yeah, it was hot at 8:30 am and broiling by 11:30!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.