Forum Index > Trail Talk > We all should be outraged this has not been solved
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Frank

Frank
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 7:03 am 
VERLOT -- He still can't believe they're gone. Three years since his wife and daughter were killed along a hiking trail near Pinnacle Lake, David Stodden finds them in his memory all the time. "I still think about Mary and Susanna every minute of my life," he said Wednesday. Outside in the garden where his wife used to tend the flowers and chat with neighbors, in the woods where his daughter used to teach, along hiking trails where the family enjoyed time together, he finds them, the Seattle man said. The mother and daughter were found by hikers three years ago Saturday. Mary Cooper, 56, and Susanna Stodden, 27, were fatally shot and left deep in the woods. No arrests have been made. "As always, our thoughts and prayers are with Mary's and Susanna's family and friends," Snohomish County sheriff's spokeswoman Rebecca Hover said. "One day we hope to be able to provide them -- and the community -- with answers and justice." During the past three years, sheriff's officials have received numerous tips, but those tips have slowed down considerably, she said. "I'm kind of discouraged there's not more progress," David Stodden, 60, said. The mother and daughter were featured on the ace of hearts in a deck of playing cards distributed to prison inmates. The cards were used in an effort to draw out clues to old, unsolved killings, even though the June 2006 double homicide isn't considered a cold case, officials said. The file remains with one of the original detectives assigned to the case and is actively being pursued. "We remain hopeful that we'll get that one break in the case that will point us to the person or people who killed Mary and Susanna," Hover said. The surviving family members each are coping in their own way. "We're doing OK," David Stodden said. Elisa Stodden, 27, has sought solace through friendship and support. She works with middle school students, much like her mother did as an elementary school librarian. Her sister, Joanna Stodden, 24, quietly meditates. She holds the same teaching position Susanna once filled at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle. Next week, David Stodden said he'll attempt to summit Mount Rainier in a fundraiser for a school in Nepal. Susanna once taught in Kathmandu, he said. On Saturday, family members plan to join friends and loved ones for a candlelight walk around Green Lake, a ritual that began three years ago. Hover said she strongly urges anyone with information to call the sheriff's office. David Stodden holds hope that new details will come out that may lead to an arrest. "Who knows? Maybe someone will come forward," he said. Jackson Holtz: 425-339-3437, jholtz@heraldnet.com.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 7:35 am 
Outraged "that it hasn't been solved"?
I'll save my outrage for the perpetrator thanks. Your suggestion that we should be "outraged because it hasn't been solved" suggests that the police haven't tried to resolve the case, and that is what we should be upset about. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's a sad, terrible thing that might possibly never be "solved". It upsets me that the murderer is still out there, but sometimes these bastards do get away, no matter how hard the police try to catch them.

Jason_Martin

Jason_Martin
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 8:44 am 
There will be a memorial for Mary and Susanna at Green Lake tomorrow: Green Lake Memorial to Slain Hikers

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 8:54 am 
Thanks for posting the lucid comments, kbatku. up.gif Frankly, Frank, I think your thread title is a misinformed cheap shot. shakehead.gif I have good info that the Snoho Co Sheriff's and Prosecutor's office have toiled very hard on this investigation. Supporting their efforts is the best thing the NWHikers community can do to serve the memory of Mary and Susanna.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 10:06 am 
Concur with Big Steve and kbatku. There are lots of other things about which to become outraged.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 11:32 am 
Outrage is a bit much...disappointment, sadness..but sometimes, there is simply no solution for these kinds of crimes regardless of the best efforts of law enforcement. I've seen no evidence they haven't done their darnedest...and with that, this outrage is like outrage at a rainy day.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 1:54 pm 
This is an unfortunate event and not to turn this into a gun post, but this is why I carry a gun when I hike.

none
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 2:04 pm 
I posted my Examiner column earlier today. http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m7d10-Three-years-later-Pinnacle-Lake-Trail-murders-still-unsolved If that doesn't work, try this: http://tinyurl.com/lfpv7e

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 2:16 pm 
Jordan wrote:
. . . not to turn this into a gun post, but this is why I carry a gun when I hike.
Here we go again. shakehead.gif

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 2:35 pm 
Jordan wrote:
This is an unfortunate event and not to turn this into a gun post, but this is why I carry a gun when I hike.
Fine. So noted. Let's keep this on topic. Guns can go elsewhere. The Guns & safety thread, the Stewardship discussion... Along the Tinkham road... biggrin.gif

ArcDome

ArcDome
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 2:55 pm 
I'm assuming that LE has checked the whereabouts of Gary Hilton at the time of the murders. Gary Hilton is the guy who has been convicted of killing a hiker in Georgia last year and is being investigated regarding several other hiker murders in the Florida/NC areas. I do not recall seeing anything in the local papers whether LE has accounted for where Gary Hilton was during the Pinnacle Lake murders.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 4:40 pm 
Id think that by now we could all agree that there are simply some crimes that will never be solved! The police aren't supermen. They cant invent or make up evidence that isn't there or doesn't exist. I was outraged at the taking of these two lives and I'm now saddened at/by the reality that this crime will never be solved.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 5:03 pm 
We've all watched too much CSI I think. Sad as it is, I'm sure LE has done every thing in their power to solve this case. Some times the bad guys get away. down.gif down.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 5:29 pm 
I knew Mary Cooper. She was one of those people who bring light into the world around them. As a school librarian, she affected the lives of countless students. She is truly missed. Frank, thanks for your post - I'll say another prayer for her.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
sten

sten
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 5:37 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
<snip>I was outraged at the taking of these two lives and I'm now saddened at/by the reality that this crime will never be solved.
may bpj, let's say may never be solved not will never. & in the meantime, hope like hell they get the break they need to solve it even though we know the likelihood decreases every day.