Forum Index > Trail Talk > Backpacking Option 6-8 miles RT with < 500 Feet of Gain?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 6:59 pm 
Hey everyone - Last year I took my 10 year old son on a backpacking trip to Barclay Lake. He was stoked. As you know, that's 4 miles RT with ~200 feet of gain each way. I'd like to graduate him to something around 6ish miles RT with not more than 500 feet of gain. Any thoughts?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 7:27 pm 
I'm not sure if Dorothy lake would fit. Don't remember elevation gain. WTA might be a useful resource. Not sure how far Fish lake or Pete lake is ? Think there might be more options on the east side(of cascades).

When I grow up I wanna play.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 7:32 pm 
Hyas Lake - Cle Elum River Pete Lake White River Trail, GPW Middle Fork Snoqualmie River Taylor River

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 7:37 pm 
Mid fk snq is still closed, I think (mudslide is still activy). Lake Janus, if you don't mind haunted lakes. (The boy would probably love that). Not sure if gain, but it's not much. Boulder River has a campsite at the end, but that's 4 miles in. Dorothy is a very good suggestion.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 8:04 pm 
Yea, Hyas lake was the one I was thinking of. I think lake trips would be more fun for kids, but maybe not. Great that your son is interested! (Good not to do what my dad did and take us on pretty hard trips...)

When I grow up I wanna play.
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 8:13 pm 
If you are willing to up the gain a bit beyond 500 ft, there are more options. Dorothy is 800 ft gain, Janus 700 up, then down for a total of 1400 round trip. Others that come to mind, w/o checking the elev gain: Sheep Lake Dewey Lake (good chance of bugling elk about now) Mirror/Cottonwood Lakes Anderson/Watson Lakes Lakes on Chain Lakes loop (these have established camps) Clara and Marion Lakes Ingalls Creek - choose distance and gain Indian Heaven area is relatively flat with lots of lakes

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 17, 2018 6:58 am 
I don't know about the "gain" but going north on the PCT from White Pass is pretty gentle and goes through a lot of lakeish areas. The other would be Packwood Lake.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Sep 17, 2018 9:01 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Mid fk snq is still closed, I think (mudslide is still activy).
Yes, at least as of Monday of this past week, when it had hazard tape and signs warning of huge fines and jail time for violators of the closure right at the edge of the suspension bridge. Yeah if you can fudge on the 500 feet part Dorothy is a very lovely choice. You could go up just as far as you want in Esemeralda (Esmerelda?) Basin up at the end of the Teanaway road - it seems like there are multiple camping options starting very close to the TH, and it would be a good dry side backup at minimum.

ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostMon Sep 17, 2018 9:20 am 
Pete Lake: 9 miles RT, 400 foot gain

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon Sep 17, 2018 4:48 pm 
Thanks for the great recommendations and beta everyone. I really appreciate it! I’ll read up on these destinations. I want to give him just enough each time that he is left wanting just a little bit more.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostMon Sep 17, 2018 5:14 pm 
Any valley trail in the Olympics will do. North Fork Skokomish to that first camp (Big Log?) is about 4 miles.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Sep 17, 2018 5:57 pm 
Gotta watch out for recommendations from hard-core climber types. Spider Meadows is 10 miles RT and 1250 ft gain. But it's gorgeous and a good one to try after a few more hikes are under your belts. You also need a sturdy high-clearance vehicle to get to that trailhead. Here are a couple more. Both in the Washington Pass area: Cutthroat Lake (larches!), Lake Ann. If you run out of ideas, there's a new Best Hikes with Kids: Western Washington book by Susan Elderkin. Or grab one or more of the Day Hikes in... series. Lots of good hike info at a glance (maps, distance, elevation gain). Just though of something else. How about a night in the Heybrook Lookout? A kid might think that's totally cool. Reservations on recreation.gov or watch for cancellations. Season ends 9/30.

Downhill

Downhill
PostMon Sep 17, 2018 6:55 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Here are a couple more. Both in the Washington Pass area: Cutthroat Lake (larches!)
Excellent recommendation IMO.

Wastral

Wastral
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 2:35 am 
It is not the kids that will be the problem. It is the adults most likely. Went up Mt. Si when I was 8 and many other hikes much younger than this(snow lake). My sister was 11. Granite Mountain when I was 10. That is 8 miles and ~4000ft gain/loss. Sister went up to Camp Muir at age 12(5000ft gain and 8ish miles). No, we did not play sports. No we did not go running or do any organized sports activity. We just went out to recess every day at school and played in the sand box in the backyard. Oh yes, and my sister was and still is a bookworm. Youngest to finish the PCT was a girl age 11... Kids can do FAR more than the parents usually. 10 years old, so now is 11? Runs around a lot or is a complete couch potato? If runs around a lot or even just some, then 10 miles one way and +++2000ft elevation gain would be easy for them. If a complete couch turd, yea, 500ft elevation and no more. It is not the kids that will be the problem. It is the adults in most cases. So, just go on a normal hike. Just moderate the pace. Their legs are shorter. Take more breaks. Go in good weather, making sure they have good first impressions and want to do it more often. Or if iffy weather, pack a LARGE tarp you can make a campfire under, so one is NOT cooped up in a tent. Make it fun for the kids by telling stories, showing them fauna and wildlife, and they will drag you down and make you weep with exhaustion and you will be hitting yourself for doing such a hard hike while they are bouncing around at some lake, meadow, rotten log, or boulder rolling while you are passed out in your tent.

Slap Slap; 10 bugs dead, Blip Blop; Stumble Fall; Curse and Get up and Do it all Over Again; Reaching High For the Sky a Mile High; Topping Out Atop a Peak; Priceless
camut

camut
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 8:37 am 
Now that the cool fall weather has arrived, maybe something at a lower elevation would be better, such as Baker Lake. Either the south end to Maple Grove (4+ mi) or the North end to Noisy Creek (4+ mi) or Baker River to Sulphide Camp. Nice established campsites with bear vaults, tent platforms, toilets, and campfire rings at Maple Grove or Noisy Creek. No crowds this time of year.