Forum Index > Trail Talk > Waterfall of the day
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 9:48 am 
Got a pic of a waterfall that pleases you (either still or video)? Please share it here. This is not intended to replace the dozens of individual waterfall threads, or "Name this Waterfall", or the discussions in "Waterfalls: Art versus Realism". Nor is it intended to be a comprehensive waterfall guide, in competition with Sore Feet or aywolfpac. It's just a focused version of "Picture of the Day" Since a lot of our best waterfalls don't have names, and may not have been heard of, it would be nice if you could include some identifying information with your caption. Unless, of course, it's a sekrit. wink.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 10:03 am 
If anybody has a better name for this waterfall than "Center Falls", please suggest it. I call it Center Falls for no better reason than that it's more or less in the middle of the Big Four cliff. It is a year round waterfall, not just a snowmelt phenomenon.
Big Four Center Falls - Intended to be viewed in "original" size.
Big Four Center Falls - Intended to be viewed in "original" size.
edit - I have a better name for it. It's now Big Four Falls.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 12:16 pm 
I recommend you call that one "Middle Falls" instead. biggrin.gif Here's my waterfall of the day - Boulder Creek Falls near Baker Lake:
The top tier of Boulder Creek Falls.  I'm pretty sure this is the first picture of this falls ever posted on the 'net.  (Maybe the first picture ever taken of it?)
The top tier of Boulder Creek Falls. I'm pretty sure this is the first picture of this falls ever posted on the 'net. (Maybe the first picture ever taken of it?)

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 1:22 pm 
Wow. Not at all what I expected it to be. Interesting how at least three of the big falls on that side of Baker (Boulder Creek, Lava Divide and Rainbow) all have cut narrow gorges and the falls drop at more or less 90 degree angles to the direction of the flow of the stream. Gonna post a TR? *edit* Nevermind. smile.gif

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 9:31 pm 
Ok here's my contribution...This one is unnamed on a unnamed creek drainage on the south east end of Lk Isabel. It almost drops directly into the lake. It is only visible by boat. Getting up close will be most difficult. Sorry its such a crappy photo. frown.gif
Unknown water fall, noth end of lake Isabel
Unknown water fall, noth end of lake Isabel

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 10:22 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Wow. Not at all what I expected it to be. Interesting how at least three of the big falls on that side of Baker (Boulder Creek, Lava Divide and Rainbow) all have cut narrow gorges and the falls drop at more or less 90 degree angles to the direction of the flow of the stream. Gonna post a TR? *edit* Nevermind. smile.gif
I have some bad news about Rainbow Falls at Baker Lake, the oberservation deck is gone and the area is all yellow taped. I'll write a trip report sooner or later. I guess the one good thing is it took a few trees with it so you can see a bit more of the falls, but the view is still sucky.

the photogger

the photogger
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 11:22 pm 
Not a native NW waterfall at all..but a waterfall that made my day..by all means. Rainbow Falls near Hilo, Hawaii.
Rainbow Falls near Hilo, Big Island.
Rainbow Falls near Hilo, Big Island.

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." - Ansel Adams
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Jul 13, 2009 5:55 am 
My current favorite waterfall photo (taken about a month back in Pennsylvania):
Clinging on
Clinging on

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Meander
J Prettymountain

Meander
J Prettymountain
PostMon Jul 13, 2009 8:48 am 
Iceland in June/July, the land of waterfalls.

aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostMon Jul 13, 2009 9:47 am 
Meander wrote:
Holy Snikeys!!!! That's quite a wall of columnar basalt there! The observation deck at Rainbow Falls isn't technically gone. It's just down the hillside about 150'. biggrin.gif It got destroyed last winter (07/08). I still want to try and get to the base of that one just for kicks but it's gonna involve getting to the creek quite a ways downstream and then heading up the canyon. Have to wait for low water for that.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Jul 13, 2009 2:43 pm 
Big Four - West Falls - and a glimpse of Far West Falls - but no rainbow. frown.gif And I still can't get my camera all the way over the danged edge. irked.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Jul 13, 2009 6:53 pm 
Obi Tony Kenobi wrote:
I have some bad news about Rainbow Falls at Baker Lake, the oberservation deck is gone and the area is all yellow taped. I'll write a trip report sooner or later. I guess the one good thing is it took a few trees with it so you can see a bit more of the falls, but the view is still sucky.
Well, that may actually be a good thing. The views did suck but the fact that the falls are marked on practically every MBSNF map plus the topos and is right next to the road would indicate to me that the FS would at least consider investing money in a new, hopefully better viewpoint. The boot path that drops down to the rim of the gorge is clearly used and its plenty dangerous to warrant a better platform with a real view of the falls so that route would be unnecessary. Not gonna hold my breath but one can wish. *knock on wood*

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Jul 13, 2009 7:07 pm 
This is Nicoamen Falls near Lytton, BC. Almost 300 feet tall, the canyon is over 400 feet deep where I'm standing - which also happens to be about a foot from the edge. It was a hairy spot, but very impressive. Seems like I do a lot of this "standing on the edge of a huge cliff without a railing to photograph a huge waterfall" whenever I go up to Canada.

aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostWed Jul 15, 2009 8:54 pm 
A straight on view of Wells Creek Falls from further into the canyon.
A straight on view of Wells Creek Falls from further into the canyon.

aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostSat Jul 18, 2009 8:58 pm 
Can't let this thread stay on page 2. I bagged 3 nice falls and 2 other not-so-nice falls today. The pictures aren't as good as I would like because I dropped my wife's Digital Rebel in the creek at the bottom of Cravens Falls. waah.gif
Bridal Veil Falls off the South Fork of the Nooksack
Bridal Veil Falls off the South Fork of the Nooksack
Cravens Falls near Schriebers Meadows
Cravens Falls near Schriebers Meadows
Sulphur Creek Falls near the Baker Dam
Sulphur Creek Falls near the Baker Dam
That last picture is the best I could get with the crappy lighting but that is one pretty waterfall. Reminded me of Punchbowl Falls in the Gorge and even had a cool little "cave" behind it.