Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB: Kickin' it into overdrive up Kendall Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 10:38 pm 
With the threat of evening thunderstorms in the forecast and ALW size regulations in effect, many TNAB'ers pre-NABbed their way up Commonwealth Basin and also up the PCT. A multi-pronged approach to this peak with such a nice vantage point. Commonwealth Trail was as rocky as ever - many of us moved loose rock out of the footpath as we hiked up the trail. Amazingly enough, the bugs were not out. Ever. huh.gif I didn't swat, let alone hear, a single mozzie all night long. At the creek crossing, most of the main group continued on the fainter path just uphill from the water and followed a dry talus field up to the main PCT trail. More loose rock on the trail and several culvert tops exposed from the past year's foot traffic. Only a few brief muddy spots and very minor snow patches. Very nice warmth along the trail as we approached the bootpath exit around 5300'. Small selection of wildflowers in bloom along the summit ridge which is where the wind decided to greet us. After layering up and waiting to see if a special sunset would develop (answer was no embarassedlaugh.gif ), TNAB left the top to return to the civilized world once again. Well, after a stop at the PourHouse first. hockeygrin.gif Special TNAB greetings extended to newbies Haley (Magnum's daughter), Wxman and EF. They both flew up the trail like veterans. Welcome!! up.gif Peaksters: Moosefish, Haley, Ewb, GeoTom, Alti-Babe, Mike, Elisha & friend, Cmurph, Wxman, Malachai Constant, Nature Man, Stephan, ZeusDaddy, Magnum, Seattlehikertoo & brother Scott, GQHiker, Me and my Aussies, Yukon222, new Tom & work friend, EF Barksters: Zeus, Athena, Kiefer, Rowena, Kami, Tokul, Jasper, Mazzy and Garrison
DSD_2610 Dragon's breath not powerful enough to hide Sol
DSD_2614 Kendall Peak's palette of greens
DSD_2614 Kendall Peak's palette of greens
DSD_2621 Time to go - just when the alpenglow kicked into overdrive

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 10:43 pm 

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 10:51 pm 
Good on the WxMan for getting out there just one day after first hearing about TNAB! up.gif

WxMan

WxMan
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 10:53 pm 
Big thanks to all for the warm welcome to the TNAB group! I had a blast and will be back out again.

"Nature is orderly. That which appears to be chaotic in nature is only a more complex kind of order." -- Snyder WxMan= 'Weatherman' for those unaware
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 11:07 pm 
Didnt I remember hearing something about the Alti twins not being able to make it to the GTG because of a case of the flu? Isnt that Mrs. Alti twin I see on the summit of that there peak just a day after the GTG? HMM? lol.gif moon.gif doh.gif dizzy.gif bawl.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
gone

gone
PostSat Jul 11, 2009 12:40 am 
Succinct report and beautiful pics, Yukon. How is it you always capture those fantastic colors? up.gif Oh, and how did WxMan get out of writing the report? hmmm.gif wink.gif Contrary to the NOAA forecast, on which I bet my rain pants and lost, the weather and temps were perfect, and the bugs were, as Yukon reports, gone. The PCT proved a moderate, if long, climb to the base of Kendall. Took me just two hours to the base (plus some breaks and pics), then maybe another 30 or 40 minutes to the top. The TNAB peloton caught me just as I got onto the slope, which raised my confidence enough to reach the summit. And then it was views, views, and more views. Beautiful. The descent proved a quick-paced workout, as my squeaky pants and I worked double-time to hang with a break-away pack of downhillers. Toss in some "brush" work, a whistling stray, and a little blood-letting and you've got yourself a TNAB to remember. smile.gif
Kendall Emerges
Kendall Emerges
Steep Meadows
Steep Meadows
TNAB Descending
TNAB Descending
Alpine Flowers
Alpine Flowers
Here's the whole set of pics. Nice work all, see you next week!

Jennifer S.

Jennifer S.
PostSat Jul 11, 2009 7:50 am 
Nice glow! Looks like a pretty place for flowers and sunsets, I like!

yukon222

yukon222
PostSat Jul 11, 2009 9:54 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Didnt I remember hearing something about the Alti twins not being able to make it to the GTG because of a case of the flu? Isnt that Mrs. Alti twin I see on the summit of that there peak just a day after the GTG? HMM? lol.gif moon.gif doh.gif dizzy.gif bawl.gif embarassedlaugh.gif
Yes, that is the Alti-Babe. After hauling a heavy pack (38% body weight) over 3 days (previous Friday thru Sunday night on limited sleep) of cross country travel and 15,000' elev gain with a cold/flu beginning to kick in prior to the trip, she needed Mon-Wed to recover enough to try the TNAB. Even with quite a bit of coughing/sneezing/sniffling, she was able to stay in front of almost the entire pack. tongue.gif hockeygrin.gif smile.gif

EF

EF
PostSat Jul 11, 2009 12:32 pm 
Thanks for the welcome! It was great to get to meet some of you guys. And being last on the summit despite getting a bit of a head start on the trail confirmed my suspicions about how you TNABers hike! I look forward to getting out again.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 4:50 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
TLABs
TLABs
The dogs look a little more confident up there all harnessed in than they did last year with only their collars & leashes. Next thing I know they'll be practicing their repels off the back porch. What's bark for 'on belay'?

meandmyaussies

meandmyaussies
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 6:34 pm 
Another great Thursday night in the mountains and another great set of well-balanced photos, Steve. I especially like these:
yukon222 wrote:

zeusdaddy

zeusdaddy
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 7:09 pm 
Great night for a hike!
Die hards waiting for their photo ops
Die hards waiting for their photo ops