Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB: Bookin' it up Bryant Peak 7/2/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kirbinator

Kirbinator
PostSun Jul 05, 2009 2:34 pm 
TNABers scattered around Bryant Mountain last Thursday night: BarbE, MtSun, Kirbinator, Moosefish, Zeusdaddy, Magnum, Janna, Tom, SeattleHikerToo and his bro Scott, Tom (another one), EWB, and Zephyr. It was all people and no pooches since the initially moderate trail escalated to a rocky scramble and exposed climb toward the peak. Leaving the lot at 6:00pm sharp, Zeusdaddy led the small heard of hikers: Moosefish, Magnum, Kirbinator, Janna and Tom over the river and through the woods. At the first crossing of Denny Creek we hopped across logs and rocks, where (I was told) there used to be a bridge. Luckily the rest of the crossings were in good shape. The trail was in good shape as well, a bit rocky, and a moderate grade until Hemlock Pass where it was up up up the talus and whack whack whack through the bushes and trees. Just before the pass we came across some snow patches refusing to melt even under the blazing heat we had cool.gif. Our little heard of hikers swooped up EWB and Zephyr whose tracks we saw in the snow. At the pass EWB, Tom and Janna headed toward Melakwa Lake, while the rest scrambled up the boulders and through the brush soon to meet up with BarbE and MtSun who were on their way down from Bryant Peak. Motivated by a summit shot and an extra boost of energy, they turned around and surged up to the peak a second time with us. There was still a bit of deeper snow in some places around 5000ft and up, but for the most part it was bare. Being too lazy to find a "safer" way up, I followed some of the boys up the exposed side to on the west while others picked their way up the south side. On the top by 8:20pm we enjoyed views in every direction and some well-earned FOOD! The way down was love and hate as we ran into SeattleHikerToo, Scott and Tom, and were bombarded by bugs, made a mess of a "trail" through some trees, got pricked by spiky plants and were slapped in the face by branches. rant.gif I recall someone slipping too, but none will be named... Sometime around 11:00 (anyone ?) we were back in the lot and headed for Pour House to re-group. A small and scattered group this time, but well-worth the trip! up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BarbE

BarbE
PostSun Jul 05, 2009 5:16 pm 
Never having been to Bryant Peak I decided to get a head start and wait for the rest of the group at Hemlock Pass. At the traihead Mntsun and Ewb were getting ready for an early start also. I followed Mntsun to the Pass from where we took a rather interesting route straight up with nothing but blueberry bushes to hang on to. eek.gif Eventually we encountered what looked like a climbers path and the final summit rocks. That's where the fun began. hockeygrin.gif Even though it looked like a bit too much exposure for me, with Mntsun's help and encouragement I found a pretty safe route to the top. We enjoyed the incredible views while waiting for the rest of theTNABers. When we thought no one might show up we started to head down. Just then we encountered the ascending group and decided to give the summit one more try. Even more fun the second time and so much easier. biggrin.gif Going down was fast with an almost full moon and headlamps lighting the way. Not exactly an easy TNAB but clearly a great one. up.gif
Mntsun leads the way
Mntsun leads the way
Mntsun's summit pose
Mntsun's summit pose
Summit pose
Summit pose
Mntsun descending the first time
Mntsun descending the first time
Chair Peak from Bryant Peak
Chair Peak from Bryant Peak
Kirbinator gettin' comfy on summit rocks
Kirbinator gettin' comfy on summit rocks
Magnum & Mt. Rainier
Magnum & Mt. Rainier
Mt. Washington from summit
Mt. Washington from summit
Interesting scramble
Interesting scramble
Mt. Rainier & Granite Mt. Lookout
Mt. Rainier & Granite Mt. Lookout
Some arriving- some leaving
Some arriving- some leaving
Dang-that's kinda steep
Dang-that's kinda steep

zeusdaddy

zeusdaddy
PostSun Jul 05, 2009 5:25 pm 
Great hike. A little bit of every terrain: easy trail, rocky trail, steep trail, talus field, snow steps, bushwacking, veggie belay and even a good rock scramble to top it off. The views were amazing up there. Thanks for the writeup Kirbinator!!
Magnum and Moosefish just below the summit
Magnum and Moosefish just below the summit
Magnum checking out Kaleetan
Magnum checking out Kaleetan
Kirbinator crossing to the SE summit block
Kirbinator crossing to the SE summit block
Looking down at Snow Lake
Looking down at Snow Lake
Granite Mountain Lookout
Granite Mountain Lookout
Magnum taking in the views
Magnum taking in the views
Moosefish naming the peaks
Moosefish naming the peaks

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jul 05, 2009 6:13 pm 
The Kirbinator is cute! Yeah, nice summit too.

gone

gone
PostSun Jul 05, 2009 10:07 pm 
Another great report Kirbinator! Glad to see you back on the trail! up.gif What a wild and woolly TNAB experience this was. I actually tried to diagram the evening over axes of time and elevation, but the numerous interactions, and the introduction of two new Toms, a Don, and another Scott, just made my head spin. dizzy.gif The first new Tom I met by chance while chatting at Keekwulee Falls. He went on ahead, apparently missed the right hander and proceeded to and returned from Melakwa Lake in his new boots in time to head up with SeattleHikerToo and brother Scott, who'd caught me after I'd earlier been caught by Kirbinator and crew, met the other Tom and dispensed bandaids to Janna for a brutal blister, which was after being caught and greeted in passing by Don, who I didn't recognize but had met and told about TNAB a few weeks before on Pratt Mountain, which I also didn't summit. Did I mention the bugs? Ohhh, bugs. After seeing the fellows off for Bryant, I headed over to Melakwa Lake for some pics, then returned to bushwhack up to the meadow below Bryant for some pics. In time I returned to the trail and started down and was soon caught and passed by the main group descending. A bit later I stumbled into new Don, who'd fallen back from the group for a water break, reattached Don's face to our earlier meeting near Pratt, and then had the pleasure of finishing the descent with Don at a nice pace in the beautiful moonlit evening chatting about this and that, which really helped dissolve the long miles. smile.gif Lots more I could write about this weird and wonderful evening, but I'll only add this: While sitting in the snow in the meadow looking up at your faint figures on the summit of Bryant Peak, and thinking about the many miles you all had covered to this point and the steep bushwhacking ascent you overcame to reach the top, and the hairy down climb on loose rock hovering over exposure, I felt like I was in the company of the toughest and bravest bunch of hikers on trail that night. And proud to be there. You guys really rock! cool.gif
Trail Blooms
Trail Blooms
Bryant above Melakwa
Bryant above Melakwa
TNAB on Top
TNAB on Top
Moonlight
Moonlight
See you all next week!

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostMon Jul 06, 2009 12:26 am 
Thanks for writing the report again, Kirbinator. We did unofficially have one four-legged friend, Garrison accompanying us. He's my brother Scott's 85 pound Lab-Blue Healer mix. He bounded up the trail, but was stopped out just below the summit. He probably would have made it, but one slip would be disastrous. He waited for all of us to go up and summit. Poor G-man bawl.gif Here are some pics...
Scott blurring the Iphone
Scott blurring the Iphone
What's left of the bridge with Garrison taking a dip
What's left of the bridge with Garrison taking a dip
Triple purple trillium
Triple purple trillium
Waterfall from Denny Creek trail
Waterfall from Denny Creek trail
Granite Mt lookout with Rainier
Granite Mt lookout with Rainier
Moon over mountains
Moon over mountains
Summit view of Granite Mt Lookout in front of Rainier
Summit view of Granite Mt Lookout in front of Rainier
Summit views
Summit views
Kaleetan and Chair
Kaleetan and Chair
Summit views
Summit views
Heading up the talus field
Heading up the talus field
Tom on the Talus field
Tom on the Talus field
Scott (my brother) powering up with Tom below.
Scott (my brother) powering up with Tom below.
Melakwa Lake from summit
Melakwa Lake from summit

Yet

Yet
PostMon Jul 06, 2009 11:58 am 
This was a TNAB first last year. T'was a memorable night!

mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostMon Jul 06, 2009 5:01 pm 
Lots of great pictures and commentary already for a smaller and splintered TNAB outing.... Bryant has become my favorite (although out the latest) TNAB climb. It has a long (for after work) approach, route finding, bushwhacking, ample class 2, a little class 3 then a (very) late return home. I did choose perhaps a too direct route, but Barb was a good sport and found a way up the huckleberries (which did perform as bomber ascending devices). I don't recall any bugs. A good time, nice to see people again. The moon was out and nearly full, but not nearly the spectral illumination of last year's (unending) descent.
Can you spot BarbE
Can you spot BarbE
Yea!  Bomber holds, I tell ya!
Yea! Bomber holds, I tell ya!
If you see this, you may not be on the easiest route
If you see this, you may not be on the easiest route
O Hai!
O Hai!
Rainier and Little T spook Granite Peak
Rainier and Little T spook Granite Peak
Glacier looks cool too
Glacier looks cool too
subtle...or did I really have to state that?
subtle...or did I really have to state that?
Alpenglow Rainier intimidates Granite Peak lookout tower
Alpenglow Rainier intimidates Granite Peak lookout tower

yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Jul 07, 2009 5:02 pm 
Sorry I missed this TNAB hike; Bryant Peak is well worth the effort. Glad to see everyone enjoyed sunshine on the summit!! cool.gif

Z&A
leading the lykkens

Z&A
leading the lykkens
PostTue Jul 07, 2009 5:37 pm 
We were not impressed with being left at home when the backpack came out. We are TLABS for goodness sakes! vent.gif We felt a little better when we heard that Tokul was on the bench for this one too. And what is a veggie belay? It sounds like a great snack that you all didn't want to share with the us. hungry.gif

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostWed Jul 08, 2009 8:32 pm 
Looks like Bryant Peak didn't disappoint again this year. up.gif Nice job TNABers!

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Jul 09, 2009 8:07 pm 
Late response here. I'm out of town for a few days and will be missing tonight's and next Thursday's hike. But I had been watching for this trip report to appear. I had a fantastic time scrambling to the top with you all. Met up with the crew at the trailhead and got a good headstart/handicap. (Thanks for the welcome John, Chris and Tom.) Since I had been to Melakwa Lakes about three weeks earlier, the trail was fresh in my mind and I could just cruise. Slipped by Eric while he was shooting some photos and later realized who it was. Should've stopped to visit, but I felt like a fox with a pack of hounds on my tail. ;) Made it to the pass and soon they appeared. (pant, pant...) Joined the pack and we hit the talus slopes and snowfields. Then when the peak emerged through the trees, I comprehended just how much farther/up it was. We met a guy (?) and his Aussie coming down. I think the group knew him. He headed down to the lake calling out a name (Sid?). Lost dog?? Never found out. This crew is non-stop. They blasted up those slopes like hungry wolves. At one point I had to stop and rest while I tied up my walking stick. The pack moved on through the trees and krummholz out of sight, but within sound. Troy and Barb had been coming down, but decided to do a U-turn and re-summit. Talk about troupers. Thankfully for that, I was able to see which way they chose to scramble. With a few pointers from Troy I was soon up with the group on the summit. (THANKS! Troy) It was so beautiful, I wanted to just sit and absorb the views. But the sun was going down fast and we had to get back on to the main trail. So a couple of summit shots were taken and we bombarded down the rocky slopes to the trees and snowfields again. After watering, adjusting and regrouping we headed down from the pass and back. It was all over so quickly. I was in great shape, but just didn't have the energy to keep up at that point. I had just hiked up Mt. Defiance on Tuesday so maybe I needed more recovery. (This is a new phenomenon for me. I've always been in front, but there's something about getting older, that I can't resist.) The gap widened until they were out of sight and down the trail in the growing darkness. Then a little further they ran into Eric again. I think he was shooting more pics. I rejoined, then they moved on and I stayed with Eric. We had a great conversation and enjoyed the rising moon all the way down to the cars. Good times. I want to do more of these, but I realize that I will have to be in the Pre-Nab posse. As long as I can meet up with the summit group, I'm good. Trail company is fine, but I really want to be with other folks during the scrambling phase for now. I would love to visiting Kendall Peak tonight, but will definitely miss out on the McClellan Butte trip. I've been eyeing that all year from several different trails. It's on my To Do list.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostThu Jul 09, 2009 8:14 pm 
A big welcome to you zephyr, it sounds like you all had an adventure last week. Glad to hear that you're motivated to come out again, it seems to hook you in doesn't it? I'm still out this season with an injury but hope to meet you at the pub post hike in the future.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 7:15 pm 
Thanks, Jo. (Must be a little bit frustrating this time of year. frown.gif Get well soon!)

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostMon Jul 13, 2009 7:23 am 
One last one now that I'm catching up with photos.