Forum Index > Trip Reports > Shriner Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Galadriel

Galadriel
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 7:16 am 
I arrived at the Shriner’s Peak trail around 10:30 Saturday, and the lower parking lot just north of the trail was full, so I went back up the road about a ¼ mile north to another parking area and scored a space. This trail is in MRNP but doesn’t require the entrance fee or a trail pass. In other words, it’s free! The trail begins at a moderate grade up hill, and basically stays that way 4.2 miles. The first section- perhaps a mile and half, is in the forest, thankfully so on this hot day. Then it breaks into bracken ferns and open valley views to the north. I kept waiting for the spectacular scenery to appear- an hour and half and still nothing. Finally I rounded a bend, and then pow! The Mountain was in my face! From then on the views just got better. The Tatoosh range-simply spectacular. Hummingbirds and butterflies, beargrass and lupine, grouse thumping and squirrel chirping, snow patches and avalanched lilies- all part of this marvelous trail. And then I met Janwalker coming down-what fun to see another NW Hiker!
Lookout view
Lookout view
Looking back down the trail
Looking back down the trail
The only water sources, except for snow, are 2 small creeks near the upper portion of the trail. I dipped my bandanna in the icy water and wrapped it around my neck. The peak has a sweet lookout and camping areas complete with toilet. Currently snow covers a large area of the peak summit area. The lookout cabin was locked. It looked well furnished with cots, and would be a terrific place to spend the night. Mt St Helens, Adams, the Goat Rocks, Dark divide, and the Ohanacaposh valley were visible. There was a white plume of smoke in the southeast distance, a fire perhaps? I looked for a shrine or a red tassel hat in hopes of finding the peak's namesake. tongue.gif
Shriner Lookout
Shriner Lookout
Lookout Stove
Lookout Stove
Interior lookout
Interior lookout
Shriner Peak Lookout
Shriner Peak Lookout
Smoke Signals
Smoke Signals
Clouds over Mountain
Clouds over Mountain
I wanted to walk the narrow ledge around the lookout, but a party of 4 had settled in on the west side-it was in shade with the premier Rainer view- to eat lunch. I asked if they were planning to stay there long, and they said yes, they would be there a long time and wouldn’t move because they were too tired, however I could hop over them. Which I did. Not sure what the proper lookout protocol is, but I do believe that the walkways should not be blocked.
view down from lookout north
view down from lookout north
view southeast
view southeast
Lingered on the summit for a while, perhaps a dozen others were there during my stay, with several more parties coming up the trail as I headed down. Made good time down and got back to the car at 3:30.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 7:58 am 
Great to see you again. It was such a lovely area. I would like to go back in the fall. I made people move so I could get down the steps..it's all about courtesy and eveyone being able to check out the tower. I saw the puffy clouds as I got to my car and wondering if weather was changing soon.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 9:19 am 
Give them a push next time. wink.gif Very nice area. I wanted to visit the hidden lake, but ran out of time when I was there. A ranger came huffing and puffing out of the bushes. eek.gif I thought for sure it was a bear!

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 1:25 pm 
Really nice pics. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
tigermn

tigermn
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 1:42 pm 
I was just up the road at Crystal Peak yesterday. What a beautiful day it was. I went early and had the summit to myself! I did Shriner last fall, both are excellent trips. I remember the rounding the corner feeling too when the mountain was just all of the sudden in your face. of the two I actually like Crystal a little better. The lookout doesn't get in the way of the 360 degree views smile.gif

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 2:21 pm 
Nice pictures up.gif Those people were rude and should ahve moved to let you walk by. I'm a firm believer that others people inabilities or problems should not be made to be mine. To tired to move? Then get out of the way of others before plopping you a$$ down on the catwalk that was built with taxpayer dollars and sit your a$$ down on the dirt below the lookout. Sorry about that, I had a moment there shakehead.gif

Galadriel

Galadriel
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 8:11 pm 
Ctywkr, I share your view! and yes, Janwalker, it's common courtesy to allow fellow hikers to enjoy the lookout space. Magellan- Re the "hidden lake" you mentioned- is that Shriner Lake? I see it on the map, but didn't see it from the lookout. Tigermn, thanks for the Crystal peak info-I'll put it on my fall calendar.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 8:30 pm 
Great TR! up.gif up.gif Looks like a fall (post-Whitney??) hike.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Jul 13, 2009 6:47 am 
EastKing wrote:
Great TR! up.gif up.gif Looks like a fall (post-Whitney??) hike.
It is a great fall hike. I did it last mid September and I think I was just a little early for the fall colors. They were starting in places but not in full swing.