Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB Full of itself on Fuller Mountain - 2009.04.09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TNAB

TNAB
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 12:06 am 
After last week's Tiger Torture it was great to see the heavens weren't going to open up for a quick run up Fuller Mountain in the Snoqualmie Tree Farm (aka that big clear cut by Mt. Si). Instead, we gathered at the Spur 10 gates under cloudy skies with occasional sucker holes of blue. Some of the more hardy (and foolish) hikers actually wore pants that didn't have legs attached. I think I heard them referred to as "snorts." There were approximately seven billion people (perhaps a slight exaggeration) and almost as many dogs. I'd try to name everyone, but I'm pretty sure some of them don't actually have names and they might feel bad about their lack of names. I wouldn't want to make anyone feel badly. We left the cars right at six and the herd crossed the Hancock main line road and entered the forest. Apparently the area is due for its third cutting in 2030 so if you want to get there you should do it before then. Someone who shall remain nameless muttered, "This doesn't seem like a TNAB pace," and although it should have been taken as an opportunity to talk about how TNAB is about getting together with other hikers for a nice walk in the woods that sometimes winds you up on top of a hill it wasn't taken like that at all. Instead, Mr. Dingus, who happened to be in front, took off at a near run. Even though it was flat we quickly outpaced the rest of the group and found ourselves alone with our dogs at the quarry. We waited, waited, and another showed up stating there was nobody behind her. So we wandered down the road toward the next part of the trail and found the rest of the herd (yeah, it gets used at least twice because it really was that big a group) had decided to follow the roads instead of the trail. Go figure. Once we left the road the trail climbed steadily on an uneven tread. Tiny views of Klaus Lake (complete with horrible knock knock jokes) and the Olympics peeked through the trees, but mostly we watched our feet on the trail (or at least I did) in order to avoid downed branches or holes punched by elk or rocks that looked awfully stable, but weren't actually awfully stable. Only a small amount of blood was spilled on the way to the rounded, wooded, zero-view summit. On the upside, there were bugs and for some reason it was raining, but only around the tree at the summit. (And yes, Mr. Dingus kept his fast pace to the top and this hiker saw him fade away into the ferns as I did my best not to pass out.) Once everyone was assembled we posed for the mandatory summit photos and then trekked off to the non-summit overlook that has a killer view of the North Fork valley (clear cuts and all) and the rarely admired west wall of Mt. Si. We considered sticking around for the sunset, but instead headed back for the Pour House. We'd hardly be American if we didn't try to stimulate the economy with cheesy tots and beer. As we descended the forest was colored red by the filtered light and the sky was free of clouds above us. Mr. GPS showed about four miles and 1,200 feet of gain, but that seems a bit high. There were several cousins of Mr. GPS along for the trip so perhaps some of them could report as well. Speaking of everyone else, it's time all you with fancy cameras post your pictures. Especially of the sunset over the Olympics. Twas might pretty even if the trees did block some of the view.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 6:59 am 
Thanks for the guest TR writeup, Moosefish! That's about how I remembered it too. Very nice turnout; guess the afternoon broken clouds lured people up into the woods. Just felt a couple drops of rain here and there. Didn't get any nice sunset action on Mt Si, but on the way back off the summit, lots of interesting bands of color formed over the Olympics. I wish I had had time to go off trail a bit and try to find a clear view thru all of the tree branches. Sorry, these will have to do.
Downtown Seattle and The Brothers at sunset
5 labels
Downtown Seattle and The Brothers at sunset
Olympic sunset thru the pesky tree branches
3 labels
Going down over the Olympics
1 label
Going down over the Olympics

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 7:36 am 
Hungry for a hike, and came back Fuller.
Thanks for the writeup Moosefish. But what are you doing up at 12:06am? Isn't that beauty sleep time? Anyway, it was a great night. No rain, small pockets of sunshine and the temperature was just right. The skeeters are starting to come out there and I got a little gnawed on. I had a good time, met a bunch of new people and I'll see everyone again in a few weeks.
Starting off
Starting off
On the way up facing west
On the way up facing west
Mt Si and Lil' Si
Mt Si and Lil' Si
Updating facebook it seems
Updating facebook it seems
The group at the viewpoint
The group at the viewpoint
Sunset on the way down
Sunset on the way down
Sunset
Sunset
Sunset
Sunset

peltoms

peltoms
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 8:14 am 
Great sunset pics. Looks like TNAB turnout is not in recession. up.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 8:20 am 
Yikes, that's a lot of peeps on Fuller! eek.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Nordic

Nordic
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 8:54 am 
TNAB wrote:
Someone who shall remain nameless muttered, "This doesn't seem like a TNAB pace,"
OK, OK - so I'll come clean and admit it was me... embarassedlaugh.gif ...but in my defense I was just expressing the confusion of my dog (Freida). This was her first TNAB and she had heard from me so much about the "killer TNAB pace" and how she'd wish that I didn't take her because it was going to be a real workout, etc., etc. and there we were just leisurely strolling on almost flat trail through the woods... and Freida was looking at me with the expression: "so that's what you call killer pace, huh...? Maybe for a dachshund..." Needless to say, not wanting to come across as a liar in front of my "daughter" I had to ask... BTW - we both liked the hike a lot, especially after the pace kicked up to the "standard TNAB" clown.gif , well, maybe except for the part when Freida slipped off the log while crossing the creek and after falling had some difficulty getting out. (I managed to help her out while trying not to fall in myself - that would be pretty embarrassing if we *both* ended up in the creek) P.S. Thanks for writing the report!

BarbE

BarbE
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 9:09 am 
Excellent write up and stunning sunset pictures! Downtown Seattle and "THE BROTHERS" - WOW! up.gif up.gif A balmy evening with a fun group of people. Nice to see Josie, our talented web master at the Pour House and thank her for the great job she's doing with TNAB's web site. cheers.gif

mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 9:45 am 
A fun jaunt with much better weather than last week. A big thank you to BarbE for carpooling and not giving me an opportunity to lame out at the last minute. Great pictures, Yukon! I'll be showing those off to folks in NY tonight, the grandeur of which may cause 100s of people to immigrate to WA, start hiking, and make next year's Fuller TNAB Even Fuller lol.gif
Quote:
Someone who shall [be referred to as Mr Dingus] said, "This doesn't seem like a TNAB pace"
I also said that, with my outside voice, right about the same time. TNAB on Fuller, big and bad enough to have two dinguses shakehead.gif

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 9:53 am 
mntsun wrote:
TNAB on Fuller, big and bad enough to have two dinguses
Ahem. That would be dingi.

Knows literally nothing
zeusdaddy

zeusdaddy
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 10:22 am 
Who was that guy up front? huh.gif Where was he on Tiger? I happen to have inside knowledge that if Fuller were a couple hundred yards longer, there would have been a sweaty, panting, passed out dude collapsed on the trail being licked to death by a pair of T-Labs. Great turnout TNAB! Just make sure not to speak the unspoken words next time... you never know who is going to ignite their afterburners.

reststep

reststep
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 11:01 am 
It sounds like you had a good time and nice sunset pictures. I may have to try and make one of these but I might just leave early and meet the group up on the mountain. Yes the sunset over the Olympic Mountains was very nice last night and I was regretting not having my camera with me. Note to self, never leave home without your camera.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
gone

gone
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 11:33 am 
Way to go TNABers! Nice sunset shots! up.gif Really wanted to be there, so close to home, too, but system failures kept me chained to my desk all night long. Now, given my lack of overnight success, I wish I'd just bagged it and gone anyway! bawl.gif

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 11:57 am 
yukon222 wrote:
3 labels
And so it begins, the jaw dropping sunset payoffs after a well earned summit. Thanks for including me in your post-NAB celebration, I'm still blushing from the web site compliments... or maybe from the margarita wub.gif Remember to pm me if your name is missing from a hike you attended or if you would like to use your trail name instead, it's tough to identify all the salty smiling faces from the summit shots (since I'm not up there too crybaby.gif) Save me a late season sunset, no hogging them all up in April ~Jo

cmurph

cmurph
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 12:04 pm 
Sounds like a good time, sorry I missed this one. I was bragging to people about the sunset I saw last night but it doesn't compare to those pictures...beautiful! Great write up.

Canuck

Canuck
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 12:22 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
3 labels
slobber.gif This is an beautiful photo!! up.gif up.gif