Forum Index > Trip Reports > Black Peak, South Slope, July 20, 2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Vern2332

Vern2332
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 8:34 pm 
Since it was Squirrel Foots first summit I decided to give us plenty of time. We left Sultan at 8 got to the trail head around 1130 and started off. Squirrel Foot was not sure of the adventure that she was into and she soon realized what a mile and 1000 feet with an over night pack meant.
Tried to get her to take less stuff but oh well.
Tried to get her to take less stuff but oh well.
From Heather Pass we descended about 500 feet to Lewis lake. From there we followed the trail up (the trail is very well worn in with little problems navigating) to Wing lake. You can save yourself some time if you go to the south side of Lewis lake. We passed two parties on the way to wing lake and at wing lake we ran into a farther son group that gave us the heads up on the best camping spots. They are to the north east of Wing lake up on a 15-20 foot raise (N48 31.113 W120 48.215).
relaxing with a nice view
relaxing with a nice view
We woke up to a beautiful sun rise from camp made some oatmeal and were off to summit. We took the south slope and quickly ascended the glacier dropped the rest of our gear and since it was Squirrel Foots first summit we took along a rope, harnesses and a few slings. We went fairly straight up to summit. If you take the rout highlighted by Smoot (two gullies over then ascend up) its really to me a class 2-3. We were climbing Class 4 just to make it a more classic alpine experience. Bugs followed us all the way to the summit and we laughed at how properly Horsefly pass is named.
Little C4 to get a good alpine experience
Little C4 to get a good alpine experience
Summit C4 really no need for a rope but we had it so I decided since it was her first summit we would use it.  I have heard there is a C3 route but we didn’t spend time to find it.
Summit C4 really no need for a rope but we had it so I decided since it was her first summit we would use it. I have heard there is a C3 route but we didn’t spend time to find it.
On the summit all of Squirrel Foots pains, worries and bug annoyances went away and she was already talking about what to climb next. The way down we took Smoot’s rout and we quickly descended scree and then skied down the glacier which made me wish I had my Custom X. We broke down camp filled up the water bottles and were on our way. We made a pit stop at Lewis lake and went for a quick swim.
Summit pano I love how you can see the difference between eastern and western Washington.
Summit pano I love how you can see the difference between eastern and western Washington.
Squirrel Foot coming down the snow.  We think the white dot in the sky is probably another horse fly!
Squirrel Foot coming down the snow. We think the white dot in the sky is probably another horse fly!
Back at the car we were off to pizza and beer. We stopped in Darrington for pizza and were not impressed it was a small red building on the left side of the road not recommended. After that we headed home to shower un pack and plan the next trip…maybe Cannon or Gardner.

This aint Burger King, you cant have it your way.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 8:36 pm 
Very nice. up.gif Isn't there at least one mandatory class 4 move up near the summit?

Vern2332

Vern2332
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 8:46 pm 
Yea the last 20 feet to the summit is C4 i have one picture of Squirrel Foot climbing it. I hear there is a C3 way though. A rope was not needed but some might find it nice to have, we only brought it because it was her first summit and didn’t want any reasons for her to not get there.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 9:21 pm 
Was Wing Lake still frozen over, partially melted, or ready for swimming?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Vern2332

Vern2332
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 9:30 pm 
But wing lake was frozen over. It froze the night that we were there. That doesnt meant that you cant swim tho.... cool.gif

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 11:27 pm 
Headed there this weekend, thanks for the taster! But, seriously, how frozen is Wing Lake? You don't have any pics of it? Also, did you see any fish, signs of fish, or anyone fishing in either Lewis or Wing? I've got a new fly pole to try out and wondering whether it's worth bringing on this trip.

Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 11:31 pm 
good report! welcome!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 1:01 am 
Good work going up a more direct route -- even though the ridge is relatively easy class 3, I still found the views and scrambling to be very worthwhile.

Vern2332

Vern2332
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 6:34 am 
Wing lake still frozen just about totally over. There was a group fishing at Lewis the guy said he has fished both lakes (Wing and Lewis) he said the fish are not real big but they are there.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 7:06 am 
up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
carlb328

carlb328
PostWed Jul 22, 2009 11:52 am 
I saw a decent sized trout in Lewis lake about 4 years ago if that helps.