Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sultan Basin Recon. 7-15-09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 8:50 pm 
Well the last bridge has been out for a long time but the on in the 5 mile trek has been good. This one is the mystery ?

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 11:45 pm 
I don't think that's the crossing they're talking about. Two years ago (May 2007) I rode a bike up the Kromona mine road and except for a couple washouts it was in decent shape for a bike. The South Fork bridge was intact, but well before that bridge and WAY before the spot you mark was this huge washout. At the the time there was one other washed out section.
This is the biggest of the 2 completely washed out sections along road 6110. Something really big came down here. it's just a trickle of a creek ...
This is the biggest of the 2 completely washed out sections along road 6110. Something really big came down here. it's just a trickle of a creek ...
but it cleared out a swath of trees all the way to the bottom of the valley.
but it cleared out a swath of trees all the way to the bottom of the valley.
More photos from that trip on flickr

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostSat Jul 18, 2009 4:41 pm 
Well, the missing bridge is at the 2.6 mile mark. My previous guess up thread was way off.
krom
krom
Picture 003 (Large)
Picture 003 (Large)
Picture 004 (Large)
Picture 004 (Large)
Picture 006 (Large)
1 label
Picture 006 (Large)
Picture 008 (Large)
Picture 008 (Large)
Getting across on foot wasn't bad, but I wouldn't want to do it if that gorge was raging.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 pm 
South Fork of South Fork. Yep. I had the impression everything else was culverts (lots of culverts*). * Puts DNR in pig heaven. ......... And that's a mine to market road. It's been there a hundred years. Chopping it up will be criminal! rant.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostSat Jul 18, 2009 7:35 pm 
Thanks for checking and reporting on the area.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Jul 18, 2009 11:16 pm 
It's a shame what happened to that bridge. It was situated fairly high over the gorge so that must have been a serious amount of water and mud that took it out. How hard is it to cross with a bike? It looks like you were able to get down to the bottom.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostSun Jul 19, 2009 4:58 am 
Getting a bike across - I suppose it could be done, but it looked like too much of a pain in the arse to me (Steep\brush). I'd rather walk the last 2 miles.

Sultan Guy

Sultan Guy
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 8:35 am 
New washout on the trail-one of many
New washout on the trail-one of many
I shaved this morning. Can you tell?
I shaved this morning. Can you tell?
Pictures from January 2009. Second one is washed out bridge over South Fork, South Fork. I did not cross on snowshoes!

Any worthwhile expedition can be planned on the back of an envelope- H. W. Tilman
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 9:11 am 
Thanks H.H. Idono, they had plans of nuking this road. I bet it was tampered with in hopes this would happen, I don't trust the man at all any more mad.gif Just me curse.gif

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Sultan Guy

Sultan Guy
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 1:07 pm 
I called one of my guys at the that PUD this morning and he said "most likely about three more weeks to get the South Shore Road open. We are fixing the road down to Culmback Dam first by hauling rock from our quarry on the South Shore Road." Another stay tuned report. So first it was mid July at the latest and now mid August. Might not want to hold your breath rolleyes.gif

Any worthwhile expedition can be planned on the back of an envelope- H. W. Tilman
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Jul 20, 2009 2:29 pm 
Jimbo wrote:
Thanks H.H. Idono, they had plans of nuking this road. I bet it was tampered with in hopes this would happen, I don't trust the man at all any more mad.gif Just me curse.gif
Jimbo, keep in mind that there are two different "threads" running in this case; two very different forces at work in determining the future of Sultan Basin. The "man" that you don't trust is DNR, and rightly so. Given the opportunity, they'll shut down every piece of public land they control. But. the other "man" in Sultan Basin is the Snohomish County PUD. They come about as close to being an ideal public service agency as you can imagine. They run Culmback Dam and Spada Reservoir, and they have contracted to take over maintenance of the South Shore Road for the next 35 years. The law that lets them run the dam and the power house requires them to keep the road open to the remaining Recreation Areas. Their philosophy suggests that they will do that as well as they can, rather than dragging their feet and finding excuses for not getting it done. ...................................................... What we need to worry about now is not access. It's getting the restrictions lifted on public travel in the monstrous Morning Star Natural Resource Conservation Area. rant.gif If we can get them to apply the same "hands off" rule to the NRCA's that they've now established for "closed" recreation areas, those of us who love Sultan Basin will have all we need. smile.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Aug 02, 2009 8:02 pm 
Well i ended up at Olney pass today. I did not plan on doing any walking, since i rolled my ankle yesterday. frown.gif
Yea...i temporary gate, that is open, but the two gates fifty yards away are closed. rolleyes.gif Aren't we a little gate happy? hmmm.gif
Well i was intrigued by the obvious heavy traffic leading to the dam, and south shore road. Could it be that the south shore road is already repaired? So i went for a walk.
Blow out #1
Blow out #1
Blow out #1
Blow out #1
Not much has been done, since Geohikers original post mad.gif I agree with GH's assessment that there is no reason the road needs to be closed right now. They could easily put some big rocks at the narrow spots to prevent cars from going over the edge. The only thing i can add is that the "repair" at blow out #1 was so hastily "repaired" that it will certainly wash away again in the first moderate rain shower frown.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSun Sep 20, 2009 10:21 am 
Anybody have any updated info on the road condition ?

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Sep 20, 2009 10:06 pm 
Contractor is dragging feet. The PUD web site said the west gate was open (toward the dam) on the weekend's only. When i did a recon check...it was closed. Latest word, is October. But typically the area get's closed off in October any way. bawl.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Oct 04, 2009 5:09 pm 
Did another recon trip. To my surprise the gate to the S shore road was open dance.gif But....
Olney Pass
Olney Pass
Olney Pass
Olney Pass
Looks like it's only open a few days a week. As for the contractor dragging there feet. footmouth.gif
S fork sultan river, and road
S fork sultan river, and road
It looks to me like they did big over haul on the road base here, a big job. However still work to do. The bridge approaches are repaired. I was shocked and surprised to see an family with young children having a picnic at the rec sites up.gif up.gif
Spada Lake
Spada Lake
Spada Lake
Spada Lake
Just beyond the last boat launch, is this.
Road
Road
Big whoop! Right? Well around the corner.
Road wash out
Road wash out
It's trashed big time, to bad the only repair this spot will see is to remove the road. rolleyes.gif Another surprise this time a good one regarding the road. The slump toward the river has stopped. The main river channel has also changed again, away from the road.
NF Sultan river and road
NF Sultan river and road
NF Sultan River
NF Sultan River
What i was not expecting, is how fast the brush begins to take hold. This is the section road between Greider and Boulder lake trail heads.
Road between Boulder and Greider Th
Road between Boulder and Greider Th
Road between Boulder and Greider TH
Road between Boulder and Greider TH
This is barely a year after the road was decommissioned!